• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Immersion

You have that power too
    Oct 10, 2013
    Libtardistan
    When is it busy? I'm there during the week at lunch and sometimes early afternoon. Don't recall having to wait. Only time I see it busy is early afternoon fridays and even then I"m not waiting. However, I'm never there weeknights and only been there once on weekends. Been wondering if there is a slow time of the day on weekends to take my boys.

Basically anytime after 4:00 PM on Friday all the way through Sunday. I honestly don't bother anymore. But hey, if waiting 1+ hrs to shoot at a packed range is your thing, go for it.

I would say the safest time to go would be during the week BEFORE people get out of work. So basically ideal time would be from opening to 4:00 PM.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    The one on RT 175 is the one I've been to.

It's one of the only places around you can rent a handgun to try it out to see if you like it before you shell out the cash to buy it.

That said, the place is terrible.

It's handguns only, you can only use their ammunition, which more often than not is Tulammo steel cased crap, the staff is rude and their rates are ridiculous- also their guns are sold for about a hundred bucks OVER MSRP. The cheapest I've seen a gun sold there was for MSRP, and that was billed as special pricing.

Add to that the fact that I once applied for a job there before I knew anything about them, and I'll relate the experience briefly and you can draw your own conclusions.

I enter the store, wearing a nice shirt and pants, and dress shoes, since I want to make a good impression, as I'd been looking around local gunstores for work and wanted to make a good impression. I stride to the counter, and ask to see the manager, and am flatly told 'he's busy'

I ask to fill out an application, and get looked at like 'are you serious?'

So I fill out the application, and then proceed to look around at guns while I wait for the manager, since I was in the market for a handgun at the time and they had two of the models I was considering. So the manager eventually comes out, and I try to introduce myself, but he briskly tells me he doesn't have time to deal with me. Fine. So I continue to look at the pistols. Eventually I approach the manager to ask if I can handle one of the pistols I was thinking of purchasing- which is not unheard of, people handled pistols while I was there, there is a procedure for it. So I ask, and he tells me he's quote 'fixing to call the police' on me.

I asked him why, and he said anyone who spends 'this much time in a gun store' is up to something, and that I should be on my way.

The entire episode lasted maybe 30 minutes from the time I entered the store, application filling out and all.

If I had thought about it, I would have asked why I would fill out an application if I was planning some nefarious scheme, but I was literally so startled by his rudeness and outright hostility that I couldn't believe it. I left the store in a haze.

The guy who dealt with me this way was an older gentleman, maybe 50 or 60

Anyways, I dunno if that's the store you're thinking of, but if it is they can go F--- themselves.

Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD

It's one of the only places around you can rent a handgun to try it out to see if you like it before you shell out the cash to buy it.

It's handguns only, you can only use their ammunition, which more often than not is Tulammo steel cased crap, the staff is rude and their rates are ridiculous- also their guns are sold for about a hundred bucks OVER MSRP. The cheapest I've seen a gun sold there was for MSRP, and that was billed as special pricing.

Add to that the fact that I once applied for a job there before I knew anything about them, and I'll relate the experience briefly and you can draw your own conclusions.

I enter the store, wearing a nice shirt and pants, and dress shoes, since I want to make a good impression, as I'd been looking around local gunstores for work and wanted to make a good impression. I stride to the counter, and ask to see the manager, and am flatly told 'he's busy'

So I fill out the application, and then proceed to look around at guns while I wait for the manager, since I was in the market for a handgun at the time and they had two of the models I was considering. So the manager eventually comes out, and I try to introduce myself, but he briskly tells me he doesn't have time to deal with me. Fine. So I continue to look at the pistols. Eventually I approach the manager to ask if I can handle one of the pistols I was thinking of purchasing- which is not unheard of, people handled pistols while I was there, there is a procedure for it. So I ask, and he tells me he's quote 'fixing to call the police' on me.

I asked him why, and he said anyone who spends 'this much time in a gun store' is up to something, and that I should be on my way.

The entire episode lasted maybe 30 minutes from the time I entered the store, application filling out and all.

If I had thought about it, I would have asked why I would fill out an application if I was planning some nefarious scheme, but I was literally so startled by his rudeness and outright hostility that I couldn't believe it. I left the store in a haze.

Anyways, I dunno if that's the store you're thinking of, but if it is they can go F--- themselves.

You don't have to use their ammo. Not sure where you heard that from. Plus it's a short range so anything besides handguns wouldn't be much of a challenge.

rmiddle

Ultimate Member
    Sep 8, 2012
    Cleveland, TN

What On-Target did you go to? The one near Fort Meade have never sold Tula for the range. They ban Steel Core ammo and recommend against using steal case ammo. I have never see it being sold. If you are renting there firearms you have to use there ammo but if you bring you own weapon you can bring your own ammo.

They are a handgun only range. There are also only around 25 yards so no long range shooting and there back-end isn't designed to handle high volatility ammo like other ranges in the area. They will allow Handgun ammo rifles just nothing that is going to tear up there range.

Now some of there employees can be Dicks sometime but then again most of the times I have seen it have been when other people are doing stupid things not always but most of the time that is true.

Thanks
    Robert

RavensChick

Gun Loving Bitch
    I've both bought a gun from On Target and use their range. I concur with what most people are saying about them...mostly friendly staff, decent range that needs better ventilation and lighting, decent prices for rental guns & ammo. I bought my first gun there (M&P 9mm Shield) and it was over MSRP, but like mentioned above, it came with a free safety class and 1 hour of free range time (which are both great for a first time gun owner). I also support them due to their 8 day release stand.

You must use their ammo in rental guns, but due to the current ammo shortage, you need to BYOA if you are using your own gun.

Robert1955

Ultimate Member
    Dec 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    I have shot my pistols there 2 times so far and had a good experience both times. I used MY ammo in MY guns. If you rent one of their pistols you got to use their ammo, I can't blame them for not wanting you shooting that hot new load you developed in one of their guns before you try it in yours. And as one of the older indoor ranges in the area I am not surprised they don't allow high power rifles, I guess the newer designs for bullet traps allow higher powered rounds that some of the other ranges let you shoot. I guess you can always go over to "Select Fire".......:innocent0

jeganrocks

Feb 5, 2012
    Howard County, MD
    I was told that their annual member sale that occurs in the week before black Friday is cancelled. Due to no one having funds after spending so much before Oct 1st. One would hope after making so much of that they still could give us a decent sale on accessories or ammo.

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    I was told that their annual member sale that occurs in the week before black Friday is cancelled. Due to no one having funds after spending so much before Oct 1st. One would hope after making so much of that they still could give us a decent sale on accessories or ammo.

I have been to this the last three years. It seems to me that they were auctioning off guns they had trouble selling and giving away one gun they either had plenty of or had a hard time selling. I imagine their inventory is low and they don't want to give anything away. It does say something about their attitude toward the members though, doesn't it? :innocent0 ---- or is that my imagination?

When they were at the original location (Glen Burnie) they always had 10% off for members on everything except firearms. I don't know when that stopped.

Veeb0rg

Mar 21, 2013
    Glen Burnie

What? where's the logic in this?

Yamasung

Feb 27, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I have been to this the last three years. It seems to me that they were auctioning off guns they had trouble selling and giving away one gun they either had plenty of or had a hard time selling. I imagine their inventory is low and they don't want to give anything away. It does say something about their attitude toward the members though, doesn't it? :innocent0 ---- or is that my imagination?

When they were at the original location (Glen Burnie) they always had 10% off for members on everything except firearms. I don't know when that stopped.
    Their inventory is very low (at least it was a couple weeks ago). More accurately put, they had next to nothing. 90% of what they did have in the case was marked sold. They had a fantastic selection pre-Oct. 1. I asked a salesperson about it and he said they are holding off restocking until more folks have HQL's. Not surprising, I guess.

DraKhen99

Professional Heckler
    Sep 30, 2013
    Yeah, their stock is really low, as of this past Sunday. Decent selection of 1911s though.

John

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    I was in there Sunday with the gf and thought they had everything locked up or something lol

Was this early in the day? Every night they put all the guns in safes and pull them back out in the morning, put them back in the display cases. ......including guns that are sold.

snyperdave

Oct 30, 2012
    Pasadena, MD
    They are only putting firearms out that are Maryland compliant (1911's, revolvers). If the firearm sells with a mag capacity over 10 they will not sell it in the state. Thats why everyone's shelves are bare.
    Manufacturers will be shipping MD compliant handguns sometime, just like the CA ones. We just have to wait for that.

DraKhen99

Professional Heckler
    Sep 30, 2013
    They are only putting firearms out that are Maryland compliant (1911's, revolvers). If the firearm sells with a mag capacity over 10 they will not sell it in the state. Thats why everyone's shelves are bare.
    Manufacturers will be shipping MD compliant handguns sometime, just like the CA ones. We just have to wait for that.

Last time I was there, they had some guns out with "no mags" written on the tag. This tells me they will sell guns whose shipped mags take more than 10rds, you just have to source your own.

John

TonyB.

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    I like On Target. Been there to use the range quite a few times. Weekends are always busy at any range but I've never had to wait more than 15 mins at OT. I bring my own ammo and targets and they don't seem to mind. I wish the range was better lit, but I have the same gripe about other local places as well. I do not like their sales staff or their firearm pricing but I am not there to purchase. I only use the range if it's too cold to shoot at work.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    FYI,
    They told me a week or so ago, no more Wolf, Tulamo, Brownbear/Silver bear Steel jacketed ammo. They said it's Steel Core, but I know it not to be the case. It does have a thick copper plated Steel jacket though over lead core.

Independence

long member
    Jul 16, 2008
    Nottingham
    FYI,
    They told me a week or so ago, no more Wolf, Tulamo, Brownbear/Silver bear Steel jacketed ammo. They said it's Steel Core, but I know it not to be the case. It does have a thick copper plated Steel jacket though over lead core.

The magnet doesn't tell them if it's steel core or not. The health of the backstop on the range is imperitive to staying open and I don't blame them for this policy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom