• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    As previously posted, one can always use an out of state FFL to do the transfer. Then the CMP ships to them and they do an FFL to FFL transfer to you using your FFL-03 license. All perfectly legal AND this is the intent of the C&R FFL license.

The state of MD does not have to be involved in this.

True. You’d save yourself the extra trip to your local FFL. That said, even a cheap out of state FFL transfer fees plus shipping to you is probably going to be as much or more than just having CMP ship to your LGS and doing the transfer through them.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    As previously posted, one can always use an out of state FFL to do the transfer. Then the CMP ships to them and they do an FFL to FFL transfer to you using your FFL-03 license. All perfectly legal AND this is the intent of the C&R FFL license.

The state of MD does not have to be involved in this.

Ahh - thanks for that :party29:

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Tonight at 8:30 on the Outdoor Channel, American Rifleman TV has a look inside the vault at their 1911's. I assume they are the one's they're auctioning.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Wow, the CMP guy said there were 100,000 1911's at Anniston Armory. CMP took the best 9,000 for the first distribution since they didn't know how long the program would be allowed to last. If it goes on, that's a lot of 'em to sell.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Wow, the CMP guy said there were 100,000 1911's at Anniston Armory. CMP took the best 9,000 for the first distribution since they didn't know how long the program would be allowed to last. If it goes on, that's a lot of 'em to sell.

My bet is they are just trying to hype up the initial sales!

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    I probably read it on the CMP forum but I can’t find it now. I think those 9,000 you’re talking about came from a army museum and those are going to auction and maybe more if they are in better condition then Service Grade.

Jul 1, 2012
    From that American Rifleman article above... lots of good info from a few months ago.
    "The M1911s currently in the CMP’s vault came from two sources: the Army Museum System and the Defense Logistics Agency’s long term strategic reserve"
    "For all of their attractive and inherently collectible qualities though, these museum system guns represent the minority of the 8,000 currently on hand at the CMP and it is likely that they will all receive Auction Grade designation. On the other hand, the majority of the pistols currently in the vault are M1911A1s that were until recently in a Defense Logistics Agency warehouse."

for instance they discovered a UMC in amongst the guns from the museum system.
    The pic of it at the end of the article though shows an "AA" rebuild mark, wrong grips and hammer, and parkerized finish.

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    From that American Rifleman article above... lots of good info from a few months ago.
    "The M1911s currently in the CMP’s vault came from two sources: the Army Museum System and the Defense Logistics Agency’s long term strategic reserve"
    "For all of their attractive and inherently collectible qualities though, these museum system guns represent the minority of the 8,000 currently on hand at the CMP and it is likely that they will all receive Auction Grade designation. On the other hand, the majority of the pistols currently in the vault are M1911A1s that were until recently in a Defense Logistics Agency warehouse."

for instance they discovered a UMC in amongst the guns from the museum system.
    The pic of it at the end of the article though shows an "AA" rebuild mark, wrong grips and hammer, and parkerized finish.

Thanks for the clarification as I knew I read something about a museum somewhere just couldn’t remember where! Getting old!

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Same here, looking to mail it Monday. Gotta get the notary lined up at the bank.

We don't fill out the order form other than the top info? They say they'll call regarding what's available when they get to your number.

Q

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Be sure you read the 1911 section on the CMP forum to see all the stupid mistakes people have made.

The bottom line is - "Read the directions and follow the directions".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom