• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dementlr

Feb 8, 2011
    St. Mary's County
    I have searched through the threads on flash hiders and muzzle brakes, but still have a question specific to the Sig 556Xi. From the factory the rifle comes with a folding stock and a flash hider. One or the other must go to be compliant. Barrel length and OAL are not an issue. Since a buyer would most likely want to keep the folding stock, I figure the easiest/cheapest solution is to replace the removable flash hider with a thread protector, but that is not an attractive solution.

What other options exist for a muzzle device that would not be considered a flash hider in the eyes of the MSP?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I have searched through the threads on flash hiders and muzzle brakes, but still have a question specific to the Sig 556Xi. From the factory the rifle comes with a folding stock and a flash hider. One or the other must go to be compliant. Barrel length and OAL are not an issue. Since a buyer would most likely want to keep the folding stock, I figure the easiest/cheapest solution is to replace the removable flash hider with a thread protector, but that is not an attractive solution.

What other options exist for a muzzle device that would not be considered a flash hider in the eyes of the MSP?

Muzzle brake.

dementlr

Feb 8, 2011
    St. Mary's County
    Yeah, I realize that the muzzle brake is not suppose to be considered a flash hider, but the terms seem to get thrown around interchangeably and some opinions seem to indicate that a brake is also a flash hider in the eyes of the law.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Yeah, I realize that the muzzle brake is not suppose to be considered a flash hider, but the terms seem to get thrown around interchangeably and some opinions seem to indicate that a brake is also a flash hider in the eyes of the law.

Those opinions are incorrect. As you well know, they are 2 different things designed for 2 different purposes.

Feb 28, 2013
    Those opinions are incorrect. As you well know, they are 2 different things designed for 2 different purposes.

I know that, and you know that. But the thing is, even if it isn't advertised to reduce flash, which a muzzle brake most likely is not, chances are that it does reduce flash to some degree which legally makes it a flash hider.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I know that, and you know that. But the thing is, even if it isn't advertised to reduce flash, which a muzzle brake most likely is not, chances are that it does reduce flash to some degree which legally makes it a flash hider.

Not if it is sold as a muzzle brake.

This is the same State that lets you buy an AR if it doesn't have a barrel cut-out for a grenade launcher......

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    SOme of them are flash hiders and some are muzzle brakes. :innocent0

But they're marketed as suppressor mounts primarily, if they just happen to do a little flash suppressing or recoil reduction, then that's a secondary benefit. :D

Feb 28, 2013
    Not if it is sold as a muzzle brake.

This is the same State that lets you buy an AR if it doesn't have a barrel cut-out for a grenade launcher......

Only because the class of idiots that gave us our current shit sandwich specifically exempted it.:mad54:

stringer bell

Aug 20, 2014
    who cares, just bring a muzzle break to your FFL when it comes in and walk out with the rifle. mount what ever comp/break you want once you get home. its not that hard.

dementlr

Feb 8, 2011
    St. Mary's County
    I realize I can easily install a muzzle brake, but still wonder what would happen if the MSP ever had cause to question the configuration. Guess I am over analyzing, but would not want to have my rifle confiscated during a routine traffic stop because a muzzle brake looks like a flash hider to the LEO.

RoboRay

Oct 16, 2013
    The wording of the Firearms Stupidity Act of 2013 where it defines "flash hider" is:

"FLASH SUPPRESSOR” MEANS A DEVICE THAT FUNCTIONS, OR IS INTENDED TO FUNCTION, TO PERCEPTIBLY REDUCE OR REDIRECT MUZZLE FLASH FROM THE SHOOTER’S FIELD OF VISION.

So, whether a muzzle device is intended or marketed as a brake, compensator, silencer or whatever is irrelevant. What matters is... "does it functionally reduce the flash visible to the shooter?" If it does, it's a flash hider under Maryland law regardless of whatever else it does or what it's intended to do.

stringer bell

Aug 20, 2014
    I realize I can easily install a muzzle brake, but still wonder what would happen if the MSP ever had cause to question the configuration. Guess I am over analyzing, but would not want to have my rifle confiscated during a routine traffic stop because a muzzle brake looks like a flash hider to the LEO.

how often are you getting pulled over and having your rifle inspected?

the officer who doesnt know the difference between a brake and a flash hider doesnt know the difference between a sig 556xi AT4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom