• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Acorn

Nov 6, 2017
    Looking for recent experiences. I'll be taking the family to the Philadelphia zoo this weekend, and I'm curious about CCW there. I was always under the impression there are some nuances about carry in Philly and I want to figure it out before I head up.

The zoo states on their site that they do not allow gun/weapons on the property, but I'm wondering if they wand/have metal detectors or if its just akin to a "no guns allowed" sign. I definitely hate to go anywhere without my CCW if possible, and I'd hate to not have it in Philly especially.

Any experiences/opinions are welcome!

Aventus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 5, 2016
    The zoo states on their site that they do not allow gun/weapons on the property,

Are you REALLY looking for an answer that conflicts with the zoo's regulations. If your answer is yes, you already have your answer.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I'm not sure if PA laws allow "No Guns" to be enforceable but when I was there last year there were no metal detectors.

I don't condone breaking any laws and I'm not familiar with PA CCW laws. But I don't have an ounce of regret in breaking a policy if the place isn't going to ensure the safety of myself and family while I'm in their establishment or on the way to their establishment. If I am legally carrying a firearm I won't lose an ounce of sleep over someone's policy that is likely added for political or insurance reasons.

If I'm not breaking the law I'm not worried about their policy. Of course if for some reason I was asked to leave I'd gladly head to the nearest gate without issue. Again laws vs. policy.

I suggest the OP research if No Gun signs carry the weight of the law in PA.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Have a family membership and visit a couple times a year, really nice zoo, first city zoo in the Nation. Between passes and parking, it costs about $100 for a family of 4 to go, but $115 gets you a discounted annual membership, Was there last week, G27 IWB, spare mag, my 2 EDC blades, no metal detectors, private guards only, just a bag check for contraband snacks when they feel like it, they waived me, and my stroller through soon as they scanned my membership card without checking anything. The most I have seen is them ask my wife to open her purse, and just basically look in. If that changes, probably won't be members anymore. "No weapons" signs do not have the force of law in the state, all they can do is ask you to leave if you are discovered. CCWers get hassled more at gun shows than the ZOO. Be sure to check out Big cat falls, the Bird, primate, and reptile houses, they are the main attractions. If it's a nice day in the afternoon, a lot of the animals will be out on the catwalks throughout the zoo moving between habitat areas, really cool feature of that zoo.
    20170726_142138.jpg

Acorn

Nov 6, 2017

Are you REALLY looking for an answer that conflicts with the zoo's regulations. If your answer is yes, you already have your answer.

I'm interested in whether or not I'll be allowed to legally carry in and around the zoo. I'm not looking to break the law, I'm simply trying to find out if they have metal detectors to find weapons. Other than possibly being asked to leave, no gun's allowed signs do not carry the force of law in PA. So I'm just looking for recent experiences on how rigorous their checking at the gates is.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I'm interested in whether or not I'll be allowed to legally carry in and around the zoo. I'm not looking to break the law, I'm simply trying to find out if they have metal detectors to find weapons.

Your questions would indicate otherwise.

Why else ask if they have metal detectors?

It is against forum rules to advocate breaking the law.

No guns means no guns. But there is a difference between policy and law as pointed out.

I wouldn't expect anyone here to answer otherwise.

This isn't official but this is from handgunlaw.us web site.

Attachments

• pa.jpg
      pa.jpg
      67.1 KB · Views: 685
    Last edited:

Acorn

Nov 6, 2017
    Thank you alucard0822, thats what I was looking for. I've been there a few times, but that last was a few years ago, so I'm excited to see what's changes since then(that bigcat walk looks awesome, and it looks like you're super close!). I know my kids are excited, and they are the reason I'll be carrying. I appreciate the feedback.

Name Taken, this is exactly my feelings on it. I don't mind breaking policy, as long as I'm being legal about it. Thanks!

Acorn

Nov 6, 2017
    Your questions would indicate otherwise.

Why else ask if they have metal detectors?

It is against forum rules to advocate breaking the law.

No guns means no guns. But there is a difference between policy and law as pointed out.

I wouldn't expect anyone here to answer otherwise.

I appreciate your response, but I am not advocating breaking the law. I know the laws, I was simply trying to see if they'd be able to easily find out if I was breaking policy.

I asked about Philly in general as well because I was under the impression there are places in Philly that are off limits(not the zoo, just while I'm in the city) that wouldn't be elsewhere in the state, but I have since done some research and it looks like I'm good anywhere else we'll be for the weekend. I am just trying to keep things straight between MD and PA.

Thank you everyone for your replies! They are much appreciated.

pjd832

Jul 26, 2012
    Be sure to verify the permit/s u have are STILL reciprocal ....they’ve made a lot of people that don’t keep an eye on the reciprocity agreements potential felons:thumbsup:

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Great pic sir!!

Looking for recent experiences. I'll be taking the family to the Philadelphia zoo this weekend, and I'm curious about CCW there. I was always under the impression there are some nuances about carry in Philly and I want to figure it out before I head up.

The zoo states on their site that they do not allow gun/weapons on the property, but I'm wondering if they wand/have metal detectors or if its just akin to a "no guns allowed" sign. I definitely hate to go anywhere without my CCW if possible, and I'd hate to not have it in Philly especially.

Any experiences/opinions are welcome!
    Anyone in your family named Adrian? :D (true geezer/dinosaur's will get that one)

Only been once but really like that zoo. Then go to Steve's Prince of Steak's off of Bustleton Ave. :thumbsup:

Acorn

Nov 6, 2017
    Thanks guys! I did take note when PA changed their reciprocity. PA is one of the few states I have so I'm all good there.

Acorn

Nov 6, 2017
    Great pic sir!!

Anyone in your family named Adrian? :D (true geezer/dinosaur's will get that one)

Only been once but really like that zoo. Then go to Steve's Prince of Steak's off of Bustleton Ave. :thumbsup:

I'll have to give them a shot. Growing up when we were in Philly we'd always just stop at the usual Pat's/Geno's, but I'm always up for new places. Thanks!

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    With a LTCF or reciprocal permit in PA, there aren't many places off-limits, and some that have conflicting statutes, lacking any case law one way or the other.

Courts, correctional facilities, and mental hospitals are off limits by state law. Schools are a grey area, they are prohibited, but the law also states a defense against the prohibition if
    the weapon is possessed and used in conjunction with a lawful supervised school activity or course or is possessed for other lawful purpose.
    it is vague, the single case that resulted in an arrest was dropped. Federal prohibbitions remain, secure areas of an airport, or federal buildings (including many Philly historic buildings). Philly did pass a 2013 law prohibiting carry in city parks(the zoo is not a city park, but Fairmont park nearby is), but it is in direct violation of state pre-emption. A similar law was struck down in Erie, Dillon v. City of Erie, 83 A.3d 467, so take that for what it is worth. Carry at the zoo and wherever else you can LAWFULLY(F- stupid policies), it's your right, but conceal well.

Acorn

Nov 6, 2017
    With a LTCF or reciprocal permit in PA, there aren't many places off-limits, and some that have conflicting statutes, lacking any case law one way or the other.

Courts, correctional facilities, and mental hospitals are off limits by state law. Schools are a grey area, they are prohibited, but the law also states a defense against the prohibition if it is vague, the single case that resulted in an arrest was dropped. Federal prohibbitions remain, secure areas of an airport, or federal buildings (including many Philly historic buildings). Philly did pass a 2013 law prohibiting carry in city parks(the zoo is not a city park, but Fairmont park nearby is), but it is in direct violation of state pre-emption. A similar law was struck down in Erie, Dillon v. City of Erie, 83 A.3d 467, so take that for what it is worth. Carry at the zoo and wherever else you can LAWFULLY(F- stupid policies), it's your right, but conceal well.

This is the type of overview I was hoping to gain here. Thanks! I've made myself very aware of all the places I can and cannot carry here in MD, but in doing so I've kind of kept other states off my radar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom