Did Irene compel you to buy a generator?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Did you buy a generator this week?

• Yes, I bought a generator

Votes: 26 11.5%
    • No, I already had a generator

Votes: 103 45.6%
    • No, but I wish I had...

Votes: 40 17.7%
    • No, and I still have no intention of buying one

Votes: 57 25.2%

• Total voters

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    Here's my setup - installed in July 2006 - a bit dated for prices. Your best bet would be to just call and get an estimate from someone reputable. We were very pleased with our installer; they have a department that specializes in home generator installation.

I'm posting because I think this is a really ideal setup for someone that has occasional power outages and wants to run a few things in a survival mode (fridge, heater fan, sump pump etc...) but not necessarily all at once. The generator sips gas and runs so quietly you might not know it's running from 50 ft away. These Hondas are pricey but quiet running was a big thing for me for two reasons: security (why advertise for 10 blocks that you have heat & power hmmmm?) and we also occasionally go RV'ing where super quiet generators are required at campsites. Plus, if you're running an emergency blender who wants to listen to a noisy generator while sipping those Margaritas? :lol2:

I supplied the generator, transfer switch and inlet box, Hawkins Electric installed the inlet and hooked up the transfer switch to my specifications.

Prices are 2006 timeframe:
    • Honda EU3000is generator from Honda of Crofton: approx $1800.00
    • GenTran Power Stay 300660 manual transfer switch also from Honda of Crofton: approx $200.00
    • Inlet box: Briggs & stratton 30A inlet from Grainger approx. $30.00
    • Transfer switch & inlet installed by Hawkins Electric: $638
    Inlet & transfer switch. Yellow wire is the inlet and the heavy gray conduit at lower left wires into the main breaker box.

Attachments

• IMG_2052.jpg
      IMG_2052.jpg
      28.3 KB · Views: 309
    • IMG_2054.jpg
      IMG_2054.jpg
      43.4 KB · Views: 311

MikeSP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2011
    Severna Park, MD
    Call them (propane people you have selected) and ask how much is propane with that companies tank, and then if you own your own tank. You will know what to do after that. On automatic delivery...if you don't use "enough" they will deliver 15 gallons for 3x what it usually costs you...there ain't no free lunch. Check it out.
    Do you know if it's generally cheaper to go with propane or natural gas?
    BGE added the gas lines in our community, but few people have hooked up to it.
    Just wondering if there is a rule of thumb like if natural gas is available, the costs to run it to the house and add a gas meter are more or less than getting set up with a propane tank, etc.

xd40c

Business Owner-Gun Toter
    Sep 20, 2007
    East Earl, PA
    Do you know if it's generally cheaper to go with propane or natural gas?
    BGE added the gas lines in our community, but few people have hooked up to it.
    Just wondering if there is a rule of thumb like if natural gas is available, the costs to run it to the house and add a gas meter are more or less than getting set up with a propane tank, etc.

If you have a hookup to a line, you can use that gas to run fixed generator. My mother has one. Kicks on 30 secs after the power goes off and her whole house is lit up while the rest of the hood is dark. (At some point we'll be doing the same thing with our propane tank.)

Also there is no comparison between the nice warm air from a gas (or oil) furnace compared to the cool draft from a heat pump.

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    What xd40c said.

But in addition the advantage to natural gas from BG&E is that you never have to worry about running out, unlike propane or gasoline fed generators. It is extremely rare for their buried natural gas lines to fail, whereas your tank (propane or gas) has much smaller limits to consider during a potential lengthy emergency.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    I"ll be looking at generators that people are selling. I'd like to know if it would be possible to link one of the smaller ones into the circuit panel instead of running extension cords to specific devices. Cut off the circuits that you can't or don't want to power then power up the generator.

I was told today by the folks at Home Depot in Towson that they stamped all reciepts with NO RETURNS on the Gennies they sold for the storm. If you have a problem with one they would send it out for repair or replace it with the same one if they had them, but no returns or money back.

They had morons that ra them and didn't put the oil in em even though it's supplied with the generator. :sad20:

They also have had people fill them with mixed fuel. :sad20:
    And these people are amongst us. :omg:

Dead Eye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 21, 2010
    At Wal-Mart, buying more ammo.
    I was told today by the folks at Home Depot in Towson that they stamped all reciepts with NO RETURNS on the Gennies they sold for the storm. If you have a problem with one they would send it out for repair or replace it with the same one if they had them, but no returns or money back.

They had morons that ra them and didn't put the oil in em even though it's supplied with the generator. :sad20:

And these people are amongst us. :omg:

I don't know if this is the case here, but Home Depot has been trying for a while to start combatting people who "purchase" large ticket items, only to return them AFTER an event.

Sent from my DROID PRO using Tapatalk

xcavater

Fed Up
    Oct 27, 2008
    MD
    . :omg:

Nothing wrong with running mixed fuel in a 4 stroke other than the plug will foul more often.
    I run mix through all engines I have (Except emission controlled) when I run out of straight gas.
    The only exception I would have is if an engine was in a low speed, low engine/oil temp situation (which most lawn and garden engines never see).

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Question:

Does anyone have one of the big (4000+ watt) Honda generators who can comment on how loud they are compared to the similar sized Powermate-type generators?

I know the little ones are sick-quiet, but have never been near the big ones when running.

Norton... I don't know if this is exactly what you're looking for, but I came across it on Mayberry's site and remembered your question:

http://www.mayberrys.com/honda/generator/html/sound.htm

Already had my Coleman Powermate 10 HP 5,000 watt generator from Isabelle.
    I bought 25 gallons of gas and went thru 20 gallons.
    Lost power here on the Eastern Sore Saturday at 8:30pm and got it back Tuesday at 3:05pm.
    We are on well, no transfer switch like my last house, so filled the tub with water for the toilet to flush, next time I'll fill both tubs..GAWD!

Changed the oil in the generator a few days after power was restored, so its' ready for the next time.
    dan

Leeann

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2011
    Edgewater
    We have an ancient RV (1973) with a 4.0 kw Onan CCK generator. We test-run it under load every month and the gas is stored with Sta-Bil. Made sure the starting battery was fully charged the day before, too. Put it up next to the house for a shorter drop with the cord....all 3 tanks on the RV (99 gallons total) were full. I have a portable 1 kw generator with the one-gallon tank full and we have a 3.0 kw Onan out of an RV without an exhaust that runs great (or did the last time we tested it).

Lost power once for 2 seconds.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I went with a Generac 7500 watt generator and a Pepco installed Generlink transfer box. No extensive wiring modifications, the generlink mounted on the electric meter and I can still use my standard circuit breakers to power up essential items in the house. However, it is limited to 50 amps/ 7500 watts

BTW, generlink is Pepco leased and cost about 9 bucks a month with no upfront cost.

the only added cost is the generator cable, a 8G/ 4 conductor cable( with appropriate plugs) is needed to connect the generator to the generlink.

ALBY

Jan 5, 2008
    Wow. You get the gold star. Those generac units are nice. that is a good idea.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    Any one know if you can get one through BGE? Also when I mentioned the Generlink to my wife she asked if we would get charged for the electric from the genny since it's connected at the meter.

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    Any one know if you can get one through BGE? Also when I mentioned the Generlink to my wife she asked if we would get charged for the electric from the genny since it's connected at the meter.

BGE does not allow the Generlink connected to the grid. They seek further testing. BG&E only sells natural gas generators.

50bmg

Sep 24, 2011
    Towson, MD
    YES! BGE is totally unreliable for the last 4 months we have lived in Towson. In that time we have lost power 4 times (Irene plus 3 others).

We picked up a 20kw whole house generac with a digital transfer switch. I'm pumped since I can't stand being "helpless" at the mercy of BGE

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom