• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    You'll pay about half that for a decent one at Walmart. I've got several that I keep in different places and I don't think I spent more then $10 on any of them.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    A poncho will just funnel water into your boots or shoes.
    Look at Frog Togs. They are lightweight and pack small. Have worn them in a driving rain while riding home on my MC. They work.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Look at Frog Togs. They are lightweight and pack small. Have worn them in a driving rain while riding home on my MC. They work.

+1 I would do the same and for hunting I use a Helly Hanson rain suit as its built tougher for abuse. .

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD

That's actually a great observation. Looked at the Frog Toggs, and for their light offering, 24 bucks cannot be beat. Trust me, for my sailing foul weather gear, I spent a LOT more! Of course it is purpose designed.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    I always carried the poncho I was issued when hunting or packing. It could be used for many things and could be used to provide shelter if needed. Whatever you end up with, make sure it will hold up to some abuse.

ngman

MDS Supporter
    Apr 19, 2013
    Western Howard County

Thanks for the tip on Frogg Toggs. The price is nice and sizing goes up to 2x and 3x.

Don H

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hazzard County
    For backpacking and camping I use the Frogg Togg Ultra-Lite jacket ($20). In my vehicles I carry a cheap, disposable poncho just in case ($2). Either one will do what you need.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I keep 2 GI ponchos in my shooting stool, one for me and one for my gear. I also keep a full length yellow rain slicker in the truck for when it gets really bad out.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium

I carry one of these suits in my truck. I use it for work all the time. Otherwise, I carry a Frogg Toggs poncho. Just in case. It works very well, definately the best poncho option.

https://www.froggtoggs.com/frogg-toggsr-ultra-lite2a-poncho/

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I keep 2 GI ponchos in my shooting stool, one for me and one for my gear. I also keep a full length yellow rain slicker in the truck for when it gets really bad out.

I'm going to need the same.. one for cart and one for me. I left my muzzle pointing up on the cart, had to radio from pits for help. Bonehead move on my part that won't happen again

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    30 or 40 gallon heavy duty trash bags work in a pinch as a poncho, are cheap and of course you can use for trash.

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland

:thumbsup:Yep---another +1 for Frog Togs. Hands down great performance for minimal price in basic conditions--

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Mines a mix. A packable cabela’s rain jacket and packable Midway (bear lake) rain pants. I have a poncho, but other than for sitting, it is too limiting. It’s a heavier weight PVC material.

I’d go rain suit over poncho personally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom