• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Anyone know of a recoil lad that fits PROPERLY on a late model 870 with a wood stock? All of them seem to be grind to fit or the Remington super cell pad, which doesn't fit properly (except on synthetic stock).

Thoughts?

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Grind to fit or you will have to put up with a not so great fit. It's really not too hard to do, it just takes patience. I like the Pachmayr Decelerator.

I learned how to do it from a YouTube video.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Darn. I guess grind to fit it is. Just getting tired of my 870 stock pad. It isn't ridiculously hard, but after 3 rounds of trap, I can certainly feel it.

11wideglide

Feb 3, 2017
    Baltco
    I went through this around Christmas with the the same gun. I went back and fourth with the Sales manager for limb saver, she told me the stocks they use on new 870 express shot guns are Wingmaster "rejects". Anyway, no one makes one you are stuck with a grind to fit or a slip on. They do make a slip on that works great, I can get the part # if you need it

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Limbsaver 'grind to fit' pad.

Put it in the freezer for about 45 minutes to an hour, before doing the sanding/grinding.
    (Don't ask me how I know this, but, I do.)

:D

Oh, good tip. Thanks!

I'll probably just go limbsaver grind to fit. I've gotta practice anyway. I have an older Winchester 370 that has a ridiculously hard recoil pad (it is 50 years old) that needs replacing and the only option is grind to fit

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Oh, good tip. Thanks!

I'll probably just go limbsaver grind to fit. I've gotta practice anyway. I have an older Winchester 370 that has a ridiculously hard recoil pad (it is 50 years old) that needs replacing and the only option is grind to fit

I've used that method a time or three. :D

Get some "Blue" painters tape and put at least two thicknesses of the tape around the stock, then "I" use a belt sander clamped to my workbench and actually "sand" until I touch the painter's tape with the belt.

Then, depending on "how low they're hanging", I'll remove the tape, then re-apply ONE layer of tape and "sneak up" on that tape with the sander and really fine sanding belt.

(Also note: I remove the buttstock from whatever I'm fitting the pad to, so that I'm not holding a 5-8 lb shotgun [or rifle] trying to fit the pad.)

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I may be using this sooner rather than later. I acquired an old sears .410 that is adult length of pull (identical to my 870, so 13.5"?)

I really got it for my son who is somewhat too small for my youth 20ga with low recoil shells. He can shoot it, but it isn't comfortable to him. So almost same weight .410.

He can shoulder it, but too long. I hate to cut the stock down because the wood is amazing on the thing and the metal in great condition for probably a 55 year old gun. I am highly considering take 1" off the stock and putting a thin recoil pad on it. It is just a thin plastic plate right now. Not really concerned about recoil more that something needs to go back on once it is cut down.

I'll probably take him trap shooting with it once before I decide what to do. He is nearly 5 feet tall so it probably isn't going to be much of a stretch for him for long. Though I am thinking of my daughter who is petite for her age. If I get her in to shoot at ~8-9, no way she'll be able to use it without the stock cut down.

Decisions. Maybe I need to find another one that is a youth model...

byf43

Several years ago when my youngest son was still a "Pip Squeak", he wanted to learn how to shoot a shotgun.

I bought him an 870 Youth in 20 ga, and the stock was waaaaaaaaaaaaay too long for him.

I found a 'beater' stock at a local gunshow, and cut that to fit him, and put a trimmed down recoil pad on it.
    (That beater stock was actually a Remington 760 buttstock. They're the same as the 20 ga 870/1100s/)

It kicked him like a Missouri Mule!!!!!!!!

He did manage to shoot 5 rounds and that was enough for him.

That "Pip Squeak" is now 6' tall and is one stout young man! He loves his '06 and .375 H&H and 3-1/2" 870!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Yeah, he was getting pushed around by low recoil 20ga target shells and the 5.5lb single shot. He is 9 and about 77lbs. His friend is the same age, but has about 15lbs on him (my son is about 90% for height, about 70% for weight. His friend is 99 and 90). He can handle his step dads youth pump 20ga with low recoils just fine.

What I may do is just see if I can get him to manage the .410 okay. I'll trim the stock slightly as I would really like to get a proper recoil pad on there even if a .410 doesn't really need it and frankly I wouldn't mind a slightly shorter LOP (I don't need it though, I am 6'1" with average sized arms for my height). I might look for something like a CVA Hunter .410. I like that it is single shot. 24" barrel will also help handiness. It is 13-14" LOP adjustable and I'd imagine I could replace the recoil pad with a thin one to shave another .25-.5" off. Gets it about to youth lengths.

My 870 is 14" and the Sears .410 is 14" too, or close to it. Still and all, I am thinking of trying to shave an inch and then slap a thin recoil pad.

byf43

Yeah, he was getting pushed around by low recoil 20ga target shells and the 5.5lb single shot. He is 9 and about 77lbs. His friend is the same age, but has about 15lbs on him (my son is about 90% for height, about 70% for weight. His friend is 99 and 90). He can handle his step dads youth pump 20ga with low recoils just fine.

What I may do is just see if I can get him to manage the .410 okay. I'll trim the stock slightly as I would really like to get a proper recoil pad on there even if a .410 doesn't really need it and frankly I wouldn't mind a slightly shorter LOP (I don't need it though, I am 6'1" with average sized arms for my height). I might look for something like a CVA Hunter .410. I like that it is single shot. 24" barrel will also help handiness. It is 13-14" LOP adjustable and I'd imagine I could replace the recoil pad with a thin one to shave another .25-.5" off. Gets it about to youth lengths.

My 870 is 14" and the Sears .410 is 14" too, or close to it. Still and all, I am thinking of trying to shave an inch and then slap a thin recoil pad.

I've got a Knoxx (now Blackhawk) SpecOps stock on that 20 ga 870 now.
    I set it up for him, for turkey hunting.
    Granted, it's now a pistol-gripped 20 ga, but, it soaks up the recoil!

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll

On Monday, I sent an e-mail to Graco to see what it would cost me to have an adjustable butt plate/recoil reducer put on for LOP and drop, along with two different recoil pads so I could have the LOP at 12 7/8" and 14 1/4" on the new 28 gauge, but nobody has gotten back to me yet. Might have to hit up a couple of gunsmiths around here or attempt the job myself. These are the items I am going to put on the gun:

https://graco-corp.com/product/gc15lp-gracoil/

https://graco-corp.com/product/200-series-sporting-clay-pads/

3/4" butt pad for the kids and 1 1/8" for me or them when they grow into it.

The 13.5" LOP on the 20 gauge youth 391 is way too long for my son. Went and measured the LOP last night on both of my target 391s and it is 14.5" for both of them. The Benelli SBE is around 14". Hoping that 12 7/8" will be enough for him to use the new gun. We shall see.

Now, time to track down my old thread to see which gunsmiths around here can tackle the job and then look at YouTube videos to see if I want to try it myself.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    On Monday, I sent an e-mail to Graco to see what it would cost me to have an adjustable butt plate/recoil reducer put on for LOP and drop, along with two different recoil pads so I could have the LOP at 12 7/8" and 14 1/4" on the new 28 gauge, but nobody has gotten back to me yet. Might have to hit up a couple of gunsmiths around here or attempt the job myself. These are the items I am going to put on the gun:

https://graco-corp.com/product/gc15lp-gracoil/

https://graco-corp.com/product/200-series-sporting-clay-pads/

3/4" butt pad for the kids and 1 1/8" for me or them when they grow into it.

The 13.5" LOP on the 20 gauge youth 391 is way too long for my son. Went and measured the LOP last night on both of my target 391s and it is 14.5" for both of them. The Benelli SBE is around 14". Hoping that 12 7/8" will be enough for him to use the new gun. We shall see.

Now, time to track down my old thread to see which gunsmiths around here can tackle the job and then look at YouTube videos to see if I want to try it myself.

I hear you. I tried my son on the .410 and it actually isn't a terrible fit. Still not great and he has to rest his hand on the loading gate (so no skeet or sporting clays). Maybe it is that inch he grew in the last few months.

That forend is further out than on my 870. Probably because it is positioned all the way to the front of the mag tube with the breech closed, just like 870 is, but it is a 5rnd tube instead of a 4rnd that my 870 has.

It would be a great squirrel gun for my son if I can get the LOP down. Maybe I should look at an adjustable LOP pad...

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I realize I am being lazy, but anyone know what size pachmayr or limbsaver bring to fit I should get? I am assuming a medium for my 870 express. I know I can print the template to check, but just wondering if anyone has done it, what size worked well.

Also, thoughts doing a trap instead of standard pad?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Well I measured and guessed. Just ordered a pachmayr f325 medium sized in black for my 870, a small brown for my Winchester youth 370 and a d200 medium (only size I could find) for my 10/22.

870 and 370 need them, bad. The 370 and 10/22 both are pretty small stocks, so I figure I am going to have to grind off a lot unfortunately. The 10/22 I just hate the crappy plastic butt plate. I don't need an actual recoil pad, but I figure cut off and reshape Fore end to remove barrel band, glass bed it, float the barrel and cut down stock to fit the 1/2" thick recoil pad and keep same LOP.

It's a cheap project anyway.

I'll probably tackle the 870 first.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I don't have a picture of the new pad on my 870, but here is a pic of the new one on my Winchester 370 next to the old pad. Fit isn't perfect. I accidently ground down the top of the pad about 3/64" too much. Fit on the sides is basically perfect as is on the bottom.

Much softer than the old, 55 year old pad. New one reflects about 2.5-3x more under pressure. Also, frankly the brown looks better than the ochre color of the original pad.

Even though it is still a youth shotgun, I might be able to shoot it without the slip on recoil pad. One of the bigger problems I had is the 5lb gun HURTS when I shoot a couple of boxes of target loads through it.

Should be a lot better for my son with reduced power loads also.

Attachments

• IMG_2901.jpg
      IMG_2901.jpg
      80.8 KB · Views: 95

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads