• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Madcap

Everybody Loves Mad!
    Nov 5, 2013
    Hello Everyone,

My fiance' is having some trouble with finding a correctly sized shotgun - she's expressed interest in going to the clay range with my group of friends; however, we all have shotguns that are for full-sized individuals. She's about 5'2" and maybe 115lbs. She's tried them all, but they're obviously too big for her. She has to reach too far, causing the gun to kick into her neck and cheeks. It leaves some not so pleasant looking bruises.

We have a few options - she seems to like the fit of 2 of Mossberg's offerings, the 88 youth and 500 youth in 20 gauge. She'd also like to try a 12 gauge more her size.

I have a 12 gauge Maverick 88 with a 28" inch barrel. I was thinking of trying to find a shorter replacement stock for this and letting her try that with some low recoil rounds before buying another gun.

Would any of you have an idea on where to look for 12 Gauge Maverick 88 compatible, shorter stock more fit for a smaller frame person?

Thanks all!

Selene

Nov 18, 2012
    Google Mossberg 500 Bantam stock. I found a few. That should get you in the 12 to 13 LOP.

Avoid a Knoxx srock if you are shooting clays.

Ensure she has her head pressed tight against the gun. Many new shooters make that mistake. That can lead to the cheak bruising.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    The Magpul SGA stock. Completely adjustable legnth of pull. Many Youtube vids demonstrating it.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Google Mossberg 500 Bantam stock. I found a few. That should get you in the 12 to 13 LOP.

Avoid a Knoxx srock if you are shooting clays.

Ensure she has her head pressed tight against the gun. Many new shooters make that mistake. That can lead to the cheak bruising.

This.

Also consider a 20 gauge or even a .410. It's more challenging, lighter gun, much less recoil, and more fun!

phipp13

May 20, 2011
    Point Lookout MD
    You will be better served with a 500 not an 88. I have both and then some. the biggest difference for a person of smaller stature is the pump. the 500 comes back toward the shooter a couple inches more than the 88 does. the 88 stops at the receiver while the 500 pump is hollowed out and comes back an extra 1 1/2-2.0 inches covering the front of the receiver. I bought my wife a 20 GA 500 and put a Kicklite adjustable stock on it. She loves shooting it now and no more bruising her shoulder either. Good Luck Phipp

Madcap

Everybody Loves Mad!
    Nov 5, 2013
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. We'll be looking into each of them and see what works best for her. I think she's leaning toward the 20 gauge options. But, I'm gonna give her as many options as possible!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom