• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    I got this email to rewards members (free signup) and realized it has been over 20 years since I replaced my fire extinguisher in the garage. I don't know much about fire extinguishers, but this handles all sorts of fires and seems like it's got the same rating as my old one.

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/hardware/fire-safety/fire-extinguishers/87892

Chriss

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Replace those disposable ones every 6 years. Periodic maintenance is to check the gauge and shake the unit upside down to feel the powder move so it stays loose and fluid. If gauge if found in the red replace as it is likely to have lost its gas charge.

Always by ABC multipurpose. DO NOT buy a BC rated kitchen or vehicle branded unit. Not effective on class A fires and is realy just modified backing soda while the ABC units are ammonium phosphate which is a super good extinguishing agent. prices are usually same.

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    Good advice. The ABC extinguishers actually use monoammonium phosphate. if you use an extinguisher filled with MAP, clean that stuff off ASAP or anything metal it touches will corrode damn-near instantly. It's an aggressive salt. I used it on an engine fire, washed it off within 30 minutes and still had significant corrosion on all exposed aluminum and steel. Any electronics exposed to MAP are a write-off.

If you have a metal-head extinguisher, they are good for decades. I asked Amerex years ago if there was a recommended replacement time on one of their 2.5 lb ABC all metal extinguishers. They said as long as the gauge reads in the green, there is no shelf-life.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    "UL Rating: 1-A:10-B:C"

well there is an abc in it so it will corrode metals and destroy electronics? starting to wonder if fire and insurance is a better choice, Sarcasm!!

chino101

Jan 12, 2011
    Good advice. The ABC extinguishers actually use monoammonium phosphate. if you use an extinguisher filled with MAP, clean that stuff off ASAP or anything metal it touches will corrode damn-near instantly. It's an aggressive salt. I used it on an engine fire, washed it off within 30 minutes and still had significant corrosion on all exposed aluminum and steel. Any electronics exposed to MAP are a write-off.

If you have a metal-head extinguisher, they are good for decades. I asked Amerex years ago if there was a recommended replacement time on one of their 2.5 lb ABC all metal extinguishers. They said as long as the gauge reads in the green, there is no shelf-life.

Thanks for the tip and sharing your experience. I was leaning towards getting a CO2 extinguisher, and now more inclined to do so.

Chriss

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

Thanks for catching my error in naming the agent...I know better:sad20:

Chriss

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    "UL Rating: 1-A:10-B:C"

well there is an abc in it so it will corrode metals and destroy electronics? starting to wonder if fire and insurance is a better choice, Sarcasm!!

There are non corrosive ABC agents but they get expensive Halotron is one example. Not sure why but only the larger units carry the ABC rating the smaller units carry BC rating. Essentially a halon replacement

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Carbon dioxide is not good for class A fires and is very limited in its effective range & use scenarios. It is cheaper than halotron but not effective in many situations.

Yeap, Carbon Dioxide extinguishers are best used for cooling beverages!!! :party29:.....oh, ok....and the occasional, de-energized electrical equipment.

Fire extinguishers can be challenging to effectively use, especially for flammable liquid fires, hit a pan of flaming grease directly with the stream from any type of extinguisher and your probably going to make matters worse. Yeah, use it, but just be aware, it doesn't take much fire to be beyond a fire extinguishers' effective range.

chino101

Jan 12, 2011
    Carbon dioxide is not good for class A fires and is very limited in its effective range & use scenarios. It is cheaper than halotron but not effective in many situations.

Yeap, Carbon Dioxide extinguishers are best used for cooling beverages!!! :party29:.....oh, ok....and the occasional, de-energized electrical equipment.

Fire extinguishers can be challenging to effectively use, especially for flammable liquid fires, hit a pan of flaming grease directly with the stream from any type of extinguisher and your probably going to make matters worse. Yeah, use it, but just be aware, it doesn't take much fire to be beyond a fire extinguishers' effective range.

LOL, my work place is stocked with with mostly CO2 extinguishers. I'll look into getting a halotron units for my car and home.

Chriss

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    LOL, my work place is stocked with with mostly CO2 extinguishers. I'll look into getting a halotron units for my car and home.

Really you will find ABC the best option. If you have an engine compartment fire in your car it it totaled in seconds due to the damage to the electrical harness alone. If you can safely open the hood, Dry chem may stop or slow down the fire long enough for you to save the stuff in the passenger compt and trunk. Or keep the fire from spreading to another car or structure.

At home the dry chem is super effective. A tad messy but works great. Did I mention ABC dry chem is a fraction of the cost of Halotron. Insurance will pay for clean up and repair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom