• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    This ^^^. Inert munitions are a moderate to slightly light blue in color.

Just a lil puff of smoke, no noise no nuffin.

10432739_3_l.jpg

I think it's powder, any BB Stackers will know for sure.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Just a lil puff of smoke, no noise no nuffin.

10432739_3_l.jpg

I think it's powder, any BB Stackers will know for sure.

Those inert 10 pounders had an equivalence of about a 12 gauge shotgun charge that detonated when the 10 pounder hit the target (or missed the target) on impact to make a big puff'a'smoke of usually white (sometimes colored) smoke. The charge is not loaded in the one pictured as it would have a round (cylindrical) head mounted in the front of the 10 pounder with a cotter pin through the shaft about 1/2 inch behind the cylinder head and just forward of the front of the 10 pounder. On impact (nose first), the cylinder would be pushed in to break the cotter pin then further be pushed in to detonate the charge and then puff. PUUUFFFF, then gone but leaves a powder residue to mark the spot. We adopted a similar strategy with a sack'o'flour on fat ladies.......:innocent0:lol2::lol2::lol2:

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Those inert 10 pounders had an equivalence of about a 12 gauge shotgun charge that detonated when the 10 pounder hit the target (or missed the target) on impact to make a big puff'a'smoke of usually white (sometimes colored) smoke. The charge is not loaded in the one pictured as it would have a round (cylindrical) head mounted in the front of the 10 pounder with a cotter pin through the shaft about 1/2 inch behind the cylinder head and just forward of the front of the 10 pounder. On impact (nose first), the cylinder would be pushed in to break the cotter pin then further be pushed in to detonate the charge and then puff. PUUUFFFF, then gone but leaves a powder residue to mark the spot. We adopted a similar strategy with a sack'o'flour on fat ladies.......:innocent0:lol2::lol2::lol2:

Been too long, they were 25lb I think and I don't remember any noise at all......... than again I'm pretty deaf. :o

Naptown being a molehole backseat driver probably dropped a few if he were in "BombCats". :)

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Not at all abnormal for aafb, but there's also been an exercise ongoing for about a week now. The post had an article about it.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Not at all abnormal for aafb, but there's also been an exercise ongoing for about a week now. The post had an article about it.

Thanks to all...

I don't get that way often, and am always fascinated by .mil aircraft, so this was kinda cool for me.

Like I said... it was a bit hazy that day, so I was just getting confirmation on what I thought I saw.

As always, this is the greatest newsroom on the planet!

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    It was a twin tail F-16 I'm pretty sure...with bombs.

An F22 perhaps
    From what I have seen in the almost 8 years I've worked on Andrews AFB, there aren't any squadrons here flying anything with twin tails. Lots of F-16s, but I've never seen twin tails for anything other than one-off training or the big air show.

Andrews does not have F22s.

Like I said earlier, maybe I'm just short on tinfoil or something, or maybe I'm just used to all kinds of sorties and training flights going on, but I don't even notice that stuff anymore - it would have to be A LOT of jets buzzing around before I'd think something might be going on, and even then I'd just think it was training.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Been too long, they were 25lb I think and I don't remember any noise at all......... than again I'm pretty deaf. :o

Naptown being a molehole backseat driver probably dropped a few if he were in "BombCats". :)

25 pounders??? If yes, I've been away from it for a LOOOONG time. I seem to r'member they were (as you pictured) 10 pounders. BTW, the charge was loaded inside the head so there may have been very little sound due to the head meeting the ground and the exploding charge being contained in the head and in the ground. Maybe your hearing isn't that bad after all.:D:lol2:

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    From what I have seen in the almost 8 years I've worked on Andrews AFB, there aren't any squadrons here flying anything with twin tails. Lots of F-16s, but I've never seen twin tails for anything other than one-off training or the big air show.

Andrews does not have F22s.

Like I said earlier, maybe I'm just short on tinfoil or something, or maybe I'm just used to all kinds of sorties and training flights going on, but I don't even notice that stuff anymore - it would have to be A LOT of jets buzzing around before I'd think something might be going on, and even then I'd just think it was training.

I have seen four F18's flying in there one day, but it's definitely not the norm and they are not based there. (It is a joint base now, not just Air Force) F16's are based there. See them every once in a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Funny AAFB story. I used to work near the river, a south of national airport. One day we're walking back from lunch and hear the engines on two F16's going all out. Full throttle. Look up to see them headed due west, right toward a commercial jet that's taken off a few seconds back. The pilots burn straight for the airliner until the very last minute, they break apart, one going over, one under. All missed each other by 100-150 yards. If I were on the left side of that jet, I'd need new underwear.

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    Yeah it's been over 10 years since the F-18's from VMFA-321 were stationed there. I do miss them.

FA-18A_VMFA-321_2004.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom