• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sonofagun

Mar 8, 2011
    Montgomery Co.
    How many of you are planning to see this movie? The book was great but I'm wondering how graphic Angelina Jolie (director) is going to let some of the scenes play out.
    If you have a chance read the book before you go see the movie.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    It's PG-13. It will not be very violent at all. She said she wanted a bigger audience for it.

I will probably wait for it to come on TV. There was a good show on about it last night or tuesday. Very compelling story.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    I don't see how they could tell that story right within the time limitations of a movie. If it's PG-13, we definitely won't see it in the proper light.

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    My dad read the book and wants to see the movie so I'll be taking him to see it once it comes out. He said the book is a must read and I have it but haven't started it yet.

Sonofagun

Mar 8, 2011
    Montgomery Co.
    It's PG-13. It will not be very violent at all. She said she wanted a bigger audience for it.

I will probably wait for it to come on TV. There was a good show on about it last night or tuesday. Very compelling story.

Dark Knight n Sucker Punch were PG-13 movies and were quite violent. :gun2: PG-13 rating on movies certainly doesn't seem to mean anything these days.

I'm hoping that the director doesn't try to rewrite history during some of the accounts of Louis' encounters w/ the Japanese soldiers.

Sonofagun

Mar 8, 2011
    Montgomery Co.
    The trailer looks bad ass. Who is the movie about? Louie who?

Nvm I googled it
    :) I had to do the same thing; Louis who?

The trailers have already shown some of his run ins w/ the local police. His step into the world of track competition helped him get back on track (no pun intended) towards living a good life.

Sonofagun

Mar 8, 2011
    Montgomery Co.
    I don't see how they could tell that story right within the time limitations of a movie. If it's PG-13, we definitely won't see it in the proper light.
    Yes that would certainly make it a V E R Y L O N G movie.

The trailer to the movie has already shown that it will include a Japanese propaganda air time speech by Louis to let people know that his is still alive but is a POW.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Dark Knight n Sucker Punch were PG-13 movies and were quite violent. :gun2: PG-13 rating on movies certainly doesn't seem to mean anything these days.

I'm hoping that the director doesn't try to rewrite history during some of the accounts of Louis' encounters w/ the Japanese soldiers.

PG-13 now means Positive Gunplay with 13-shot revolvers.

Sonofagun

Mar 8, 2011
    Montgomery Co.
    My dad read the book and wants to see the movie so I'll be taking him to see it once it comes out. He said the book is a must read and I have it but haven't started it yet.
    If you want another good book to read check out"

A Higher Calling

This book gives a good account of a Me109 pilot Lt. Franz Stigler who was scrambled to dispatch a badly damaged B17 piloted by Lt. Charlie Brown. Instead of shooting down the B17 Franz flew along both sides to observe the damage, saluted the crew, and let them make their way back to England. The book give you perspectives of both pilots during the air war over Europe in WWII.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    Great book! I had high hopes for the movie since Louis was a consultant on it, but early reviews haven't been great. Sadly, he passed away in July.

Most of my family have read it, so we'll prob go see it together.

huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    Word is, she completely avoided how his faith played through his life.
    Well, I recall when reading the book that he didn't really get religion until several years after the war, when he was stuck in a drinking and whoring rut, so it wasn't really "through his life" to be portrayed. The majority of the book takes place before and during the war.

offroaD

Jun 1, 2011
    One of the best books I've read. It was so interesting I had to force my self to go to sleep that week.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Saw it tonight, well worth the 13 bucks matinee price for 2. :thumbsup: FANTASTIC story of survival and strong spirit, short on faith outside of the downed pilot. Maybe only 30 minutes of Lliberator footage, wished there was more. I flew libs over Europe.... from my fathers nutsack of course but the broken bomb bay doors made me think it was HIS story for a second. Note first page in newspaper clipping it got into the broken bomb bay doors........... maybe they were a trouble spot? http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=65573&highlight=greatest+generation

Some critics say the movie was "boring". Maybe.... how exciting can watching some guy getting the shit beat out of him at every turn knowing he couldn't hit back? NOTHING in the movie about Lt. Zamperini forgiving "The Bird" except in script AFTER the movie.

Not a war epic nor anything overly factual about the aircraft but more survival due to grit and determination.

Sonofagun

Mar 8, 2011
    Montgomery Co.
    Well, I recall when reading the book that he didn't really get religion until several years after the war, when he was stuck in a drinking and whoring rut, so it wasn't really "through his life" to be portrayed. The majority of the book takes place before and during the war.
    :sad20:There are many references to God in the book and even one in the trailer. Louie's need for water, while he afloat in the middle of the Pacific, was so bad that he cried out that he would dedicate his life to the God if God would get him out of this bad predicament.

Sonofagun

Mar 8, 2011
    Montgomery Co.
    Saw it tonight, well worth the 13 bucks matinee price for 2. :thumbsup: FANTASTIC story of survival and strong spirit, short on faith outside of the downed pilot. Maybe only 30 minutes of Lliberator footage, wished there was more. I flew libs over Europe.... from my fathers nutsack of course but the broken bomb bay doors made me think it was HIS story for a second. Note first page in newspaper clipping it got into the broken bomb bay doors........... maybe they were a trouble spot? http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=65573&highlight=greatest+generation

Some critics say the movie was "boring". Maybe.... how exciting can watching some guy getting the shit beat out of him at every turn knowing he couldn't hit back? NOTHING in the movie about Lt. Zamperini forgiving "The Bird" except in script AFTER the movie.

Not a war epic nor anything overly factual about the aircraft but more survival due to grit and determination.
    I didn't see the movie yet but was there any footage of the nearby bombing raids by B-29's?

In the book Louis and Phil had a bad feeling about going up in the B-24 Liberator "Green Hornet" because the plane was down on power and was barely air worthy.

There was a B-24 Liberator "Witchcraft" that came to Gaithersburg air park a couple years ago. If someone had to work on the bomb bay doors there was a very narrow beam that you could walk across easily while the plane was static. Working on broken bomb bay doors from that beam, in flight, is a whole different story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom