• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I need reading glasses to see the front post adequately. I would prefer to have a pair that also has yellow lenses to improve visibiliy, and I need them to be impact resistant. Right now I am using my standard reading glasses, which will likely shatter and blind me if they get hit by a peice of errant brass. Are there optomotrists /manufacturers I can turn to to have a pair of prescription shooting glasses made? Prefer someone that is 2A aware, as it may be beneficial to bring my toys along for distance comparisons. I'm in Carroll County if that makes a difference.

Last edited:

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I am sure that someone will be along soon to recommend an Optometrist to you. I will not shoot with my glasses on. I figure that if someone comes into my house when I am sleeping, I will not have my glasses then. That being the case, I shoot with my blurry sights.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Happen to see the ophthalmologist over the last few days. I took one of my slides w/sights in with me. Normal check up, for new contact script and glasses as well, but I asked him if he could help me out so as to improve, or at least not make worse, my ability to see the sites and the target simultaneously. I am not using bifocals, and have been trying to avoid it. So after he got me seeing better for reading and distance (left eye tuned in for reading and right eye tuned for distance), he dropped back and took another look at my dominant eye for shooting. It was interesting because what he did was give me a separate prescription for a dominant eye contact lens two steps weaker than optimal for distance. Using that lens the sights are clear and focused, and the target is just a little fuzzy around the edges. Whereas if I use the lens tuned for distance I can see the target but the sites are a little fuzzy. He gave me a couple of sample lens of intermediate strength to try to find the best compromise - just for the range. All I had to do was ask.

But back to the OP, I wasn't trying to get prescription shooting glasses, so I am not much help there.

Proline Fisher

Mar 16, 2013
    Severn
    I had the same problem. I went to my optometrist and ordered my a pair of Honeywell perscription glasses. He was able to get them in any color tint that I wanted, I bought two pair(clear and yellow). I also like that they have a thin layer of foam around the frame so a hot shell can not work its way between the frame and your eyes/face.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    What about bifocal safety glasses? I'm in the same boat where the target is basically clear but the sights are blurred. I've been thinking about checking the local welding shop for the safety glasses.

DaftPict

Aug 20, 2012
    Escaped to Hedgesville WV
    My local optometrist (dr.blum) got me a pair of safety glasses with lenses that go from my reading prescription (for sights) to my distance prescription (for target) with no lines. I got mine tinted orange but they can do any color. Works great for me.

Luigi2020

Oct 21, 2013
    Nottingham, MD
    Shooting glasses

There are a number of ways to come up with a shooting prescription that will work for you, and any of these prescriptions can be put in a safety glass frame and tinted yellow (or any color you want).

I'm an optometrist in Kingsville, MD and I have many patients who have bifocals that allow them to see the target and the sights clearly. You just have to adjust the prescription slightly to account for the distances you need to see. You can also use a progressive (no-line) multifocal to see all distances clearly. I have one patient where we offset the optical center on the lenses so it's clear when he tilts his head slightly to shoot. Each person has different needs and it takes some time to come up with the solution that will work.

My website is www.AlianielloEyeCare.com You can check me out there, and feel free to call me with any questions.

I hope I'm not violating any rules by posting my website here.

Walton Feep

Sep 29, 2012
    I purchased the old style Ray-Ban shooters online and then took them to my optometrist who fitted them with impact resistant lenses in my prescription for no-line bifocals. They also darken in bright light. As an alternative, you could have them tinted in your choice of colors. A little tilt of the head brings the front sight into focus.

I may be stating the obvious but you can never see the target and front sight clearly simultaneously.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    If reading glasses work for you, there are tinted safety glasses with reader-style correction available. Check the usual suspects, Grainger, MSC, etc. and I'm sure you could find them on Amazon and other online sellers too.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I am sure that someone will be along soon to recommend an Optometrist to you. I will not shoot with my glasses on. I figure that if someone comes into my house when I am sleeping, I will not have my glasses then. That being the case, I will point shoot.

FTFY :)

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    I recall reading that yellow tinted glasses are a sales gimmick and offer no real benefit for anything, including snow or night driving.

I also heard anecdotal evidence of some improvement with "upside down" bi-focals.

Regardless I would strongly suggest that ANSI shatterproof rated wrap-around shooting glasses be worn at all times during practice.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    I also heard anecdotal evidence of some improvement with "upside down" bi-focals.
    Man I thought that was my original idea. When you are crouched down and working on something under your motorcycle gas tank, they would be perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom