• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

hooligan82

Ultimate Member
    Nov 2, 2011
    Baltimore county
    I figured that may have been brought up in response to question 3 Judge Legg wanted to discuss during the teleconference. This whole process is very foreign to me, and I'm probably reading too far into things.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Not being a lawyer, it has no bearing on the fact that two different courts rule in two different ways over the same issue?

Lord knows that judges disagree all the time. Such is the nature of the law. But not generally on the nature of a stay. That is pretty much common ground.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    I'm so lost. Tried to catch up, too, but just got confused. Did something happen today?
    Pg 390...
    I count 197...
    When you're logged on to MDS, there are a lot less pages in a thread than when you look at the thread while not logged on.

esqappellate, thanks very much for always making things crystal clear (even if it's not always what we want to hear). :thumbsup:

Every time I read anything from Gansler & Co., I'm reminded of Joe Pesci's line in My Cousin Vinnie; "Everything that guy just said is bulsh%t."

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    The order is not going to change, it is the product of the Thursday teleconference and the parties are merely implementing what the judge told them to do. Even apart from that, it is completely unlikely that the court will address pending applications which are not before him. That is what the stay is about - the state gets to sit on these applications.

Going by the hand written number in the lower left hand corner of the checks. ~400 applications have been submitted thus far (purely speculation on my part).

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Going by the hand written number in the lower left hand corner of the checks. ~400 applications have been submitted thus far (purely speculation on my part).

It may be, but there are a few of us who had "6X,XXX" numbers on their checks, so.....

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Here's a better way to figure out what the number means

Attachments

• kreskin.jpg
      kreskin.jpg
      7.6 KB · Views: 398

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    The order is not going to change, it is the product of the Thursday teleconference and the parties are merely implementing what the judge told them to do. Even apart from that, it is completely unlikely that the court will address pending applications which are not before him. That is what the stay is about - the state gets to sit on these applications.

If a stay (even temporary) is in effect, then doesn't that mean the 5(ii) is still in effect and any application before the State Police can be denied under "good and substantial" reasoning?

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    If a stay (even temporary) is in effect, then doesn't that mean the 5(ii) is still in effect and any application before the State Police can be denied under "good and substantial" reasoning?
    +1. Will they be sitting on our apps or will we all have to reapply again?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

+1. Will they be sitting on our apps or will we all have to reapply again?

As has been stated many times before, the State would be foolish to deny any applications while the appeal process is ongoing. The likely action is that the State will sit on the applications pending the outcome of the stay and the appeal.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012

Yes, if the stay is in effect, the state *can* deny the apps. But it more likely that the state will just sit on the appls until at least the stay motions are ruled on. That's *not* hardwired. It is just what they have been doing and it is in the state's own interest to do so.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    esqappellate, thanks very much for always making things crystal clear (even if it's not always what we want to hear). :thumbsup:

Every time I read anything from Gansler & Co., I'm reminded of Joe Pesci's line in My Cousin Vinnie; "Everything that guy just said is bulsh%t."

I am just trying to help folks understand a process that is far from easy to understand. I get it cuz I have been a federal court litigator for 37 years.

As to Vinnie, I *love* that line..:D

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    So, nothing to expect here until May 24 at earliest...about two months of cooling heels.

Yup. And of course May 24 is just the earliest possible date. Got to give the Judge time to digest what is filed on May 23 and to write something. My guess (and it only a guess) is that he will act promptly, as the appeal will, by that time, be well underway.

Dead Eye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 21, 2010
    At Wal-Mart, buying more ammo.
    Lord knows that judges disagree all the time. Such is the nature of the law. But not generally on the nature of a stay. That is pretty much common ground.

Please pardon me for my density, and maybe there is no difference in this issue, but perhaps I can clarify as I was getting a hint that these applications might be processed in several ways....

1. You applied "pre Woollard" and as such, the decision is what it is because that was the law at the time, so if you want a permit you will have to reapply.

2. You applied during Woollard, but was denied, but now Woollard has ruled your denial "unconstitutional", for which, throws a cloud over the issue. These apps and cases are being culled out to determine how to deal with independently, since you have already been ruled on you are in essence in the same boat as Mr. Woollard.

3. You applied recently, for which, you are caught in the "stay" and have to wait until May 24th, or thereafter.

I am in category 2. Most people here are in category 3, for which I understand. Depending on who I talk to, knowledgeable citizens and lawyers alike, I get differeing answers as to the likely outcome. I was asking specifically your take on option 2, please, if that makes sense. Thanks.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom