• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Is the location of any "party" which includes the Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services (DPSCS) of which the Board is a part. Handgun Permit Review Board 6776 Reisterstown Road
    Suite 313
    Baltimore, Maryland 21215

In addition, because the Maryland State Police is everywhere in Maryland, and they are the real party (as opposed to the Board which is theoretically the "lower court"), if it becomes necessary you might consider the filing in the forum or county most convenient. Just say'in.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    In addition, because the Maryland State Police is everywhere in Maryland, and they are the real party (as opposed to the Board which is theoretically the "lower court"), if it becomes necessary you might consider the filing in the forum or county most convenient. Just say'in.

That's a interesting question. Certainly the MSP is the real party in interest, but the judicial review is nominally being sought because of the Board's ruling and the review is supposed to be limited to the administrative record that was before the Board on arbitrary and capricious standard of review. Safest thing to do (rather than litigate venue issues) is bring it where the Board "resides." I know that sucks. But you can be sure that Frosh will contest venue if you bring it elsewhere.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    That's a interesting question. Certainly the MSP is the real party in interest, but the judicial review is nominally being sought because of the Board's ruling and the review is supposed to be limited to the administrative record that was before the Board on arbitrary and capricious standard of review. Safest thing to do (rather than litigate venue issues) is bring it where the Board "resides." I know that sucks. But you can be sure that Frosh will contest venue if you bring it elsewhere.

Haha you and I appreciate these legal issues that the lay person fringes upon.The Board currently resides in Anne Arundle County!

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Given AG Frosh's insistence that the released of voter's PII and partial social security numbers to the federal government is a violation ofnprivacy and MD law (the same federal government that issued those ss numbers, and requires that PII and ss# for everything), it would be interesting to get him on the record about DPSCS releasing confidential records and PII of gun owners.

Which corner does he want to paint himself into?

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Can you PIA request a list of PIA requests and to whom and how they were fullfilled?
    Was this pdf something they already had on hand and may have sent out to others?
    Would this breech of privacy allow those listed to get unrestricted permits?

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Haha you and I appreciate these legal issues that the lay person fringes upon.The Board currently resides in Anne Arundle County!

Petitions for relief from the board are filed in Balto Co. Appeals for decisions, which are ultimately the MSP, can be filed in your county of residence.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Good morning, all.

I received a response from the Department of Public Safety & Correctional Services from a recent PIA request. Specifically, I asked the decisions of the Handgun Permit Review Board for the years of 2015 and 2016. See below for the statistics. Raw data have been removed.

Total
    2015: 68
    2016: 90

Modified
    2015: 10
    2016: 20

Overturns MSP
    2015: 9
    2016: 15

Pending:
    2015: 0
    2016: 16

Sustains MSP
    2015: 41
    2016: 35

Unknown:
    2015: 8
    2016: 4

I need this file as I am sure my name is on it. Please forward to me.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Given AG Frosh's insistence that the released of voter's PII and partial social security numbers to the federal government is a violation ofnprivacy and MD law (the same federal government that issued those ss numbers, and requires that PII and ss# for everything), it would be interesting to get him on the record about DPSCS releasing confidential records and PII of gun owners.

Which corner does he want to paint himself into?

All that would do is give more ammo to those who want to do away with the HPRB, as they're the ones not properly safeguarding/originally releasing the PII. Or am I wrong?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Would those named in the PIA request have a case to sue DPSC for violating MD law. And if so, what would/could they win??

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    As one that is in the list, i would love to hear an attorneys opinion on what type of case i would have

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    At a minimum, the DPSC should send a letter to all 158 people named in the PIA and let them know that they screwed up in violating 10-616 by releasing their information.

And too bad there isn't a civil or criminal penalties in the code for releasing this information in the state law.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom