• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • -Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    So I've finally reached the point where I need to buy new boots. I never thought I'd become attached to a pair of shoes, but I love my boots. I've had them for years and beat the piss out of them but they've stayed warm and dry. Anyway I've popped some seams, some of the leather is cracking, and the worn out tread is starting to peel off the bottom so it's time to move on.

My current ones are North Face Gore-tex XCRs with Vibram soles. I was looking at getting the updated version of them but I see several other similar options in the same price range including Merrell and Columbia. So what brand/models do y'all wear and recommend?

Attachments

• DSC_0009 (500x335).jpg
      DSC_0009 (500x335).jpg
      41.4 KB · Views: 400

JamesBailey

Form Factor'ed!
    Jan 28, 2010
    Arlington VA
    I personally love my Asolo GTX Morans. Yes, they are on the expensive side, but they will last a long time and they are the best combo of lightweight and support I have found. I never use my Danners anymore. Asolo more comfortable and lighter. I'm training up for a 30 mile adventure race this summer thru mountains of Northern Utah and would not wear anything but my Asolos.

792dbf03-5cfb-4f99-8aa7-ea8796739801.jpg

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    I have worn Asolo 520's for years and have been happy with them for longer hikes. For day hikes I have a pair of Merrell Chameleon II's that have been going strong.

Most important thing is to try a bunch on to see which fits your foot best. Doesn't matter if its the best boot in the world if it doesn't fit.

ETA: Here is a pic:

Cis-Lunar

Jun 27, 2008
    ive been using asolos too. they are a litle heavier than i like but good boots.

May 13, 2005
    I used to swear by Technicas, but that was 20 years ago when they had some top end stuff. I paid about $300 for mine back in the early 90's. They did me well in both Northern Minnesota and desert mountain southwest for decades, BUT then I went to get a new pair and the new Technicas don't look all that good comparatively.

I'm in the market for a new top end rugged as shit, granite bashing pair so I will consider this as my starting point for the research.

ALBY

Jan 5, 2008
    I have a set of Asolo Moran's and I love them. never a blister, and i've walked all over kansas, wyoming, utah and Az and upstate ny in them. I need a new set also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom