• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    Had a great time but need two skeet chokes for my Beretta Silver Pigeon.
    Briley has the flush chokes and the extended chokes for my gun.
    Other than the convenience of removal and replacement is there an advantage or disadvantage to extended chokes?

Mossyoak

Never enough
    Jan 5, 2009
    Ceciltucky
    Ext. tubes should provide a more uniforn pattern due to having a larger constriction surface for the load to pass prior to exiting the barrel. Some also think they look pretty cool especially when they are ported.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I have extended tubes just because that's what I bought. Personally, I don't think they do anything besides look cool. Porting just makes them harder to clean, plastic to build up in the holes. An Extra 7/8" isn't going to be that big of a deal. You either smoke it, barely break it or miss.

I have even shot Skeet with Full because I forgot my Skeet choke, I have found the choke really makes no difference in Skeet as long as the shooter is on it. With that said, I always use my Skeet choke for the principle of the matter when shooting skeet though, plus I need every advantage I can get due to my low skill level. I'm also ignorant to the matter of how my Skeet choke patterns at distances, as I've only patterned with my full. The factory flush and the extended looked the same to me.

Also Personally, I would stick with flush tubes unless you get/have a wrench with the Extended ones you want to buy as I found "Hand tightening" extended tubes as tight as I can get them still loosen up after a while.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I've been following the thread for Loch Raven where you said you were going to this class for skeet. What choke did you end up using if you didn't have a skeet choke?

I've fallen into shooting both trap and skeet with an IC, where I used to switch to a M choke for trap.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    Performance depends on the particular choke maker and design moreso than the mere fact that it's extended. For Skeet, it really doesn't matter, so I would save a few dollars and buy the flush mounted chokes.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    I've been following the thread for Loch Raven where you said you were going to this class for skeet. What choke did you end up using if you didn't have a skeet choke?

I've fallen into shooting both trap and skeet with an IC, where I used to switch to a M choke for trap.

I have been using (well one time for skeet) Cylinder for incoming targets and IC for going away ones. Iused the barrel selector to determine which choke to use. For trap I am using IM and M which seems to be fine. I generally use the top barrel with the IM choke mostly, unless for doubles.

I have found that setting up correctly, and gun position are MUCH more important than the choke. I do want to get 2 skeet chokes though, probably Briley.

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    ext.or flush everyone has opinion and that's what I'm looking for. So I'm going to revive this one. I've noticed a good bit of choke makers what say yunz. lets start with true lock. Beginner for the most part on this end gun Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon Sport 12 ga 30 inch. Thank You

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    Personally I like extended chokes. For me they work better because I don’t have dedicated guns for different clay games. When we go to PG trap and skeet we will usually shoot a few rounds of several different disciplines (trap, skeet, sporting clays, wobble). With the extended tubes I don’t need a wrench to switch out chokes I just grab it and unscrew one and screw in the next one.
    As started a few posts up they do loosen up so I check them periodically.
    Either style works fine it just depends on how you are going to use your gun and what you think is best.

Tomfowl

Oct 14, 2010
    Towson
    If you should happen to drop your gun muzzle first on the concrete, it is much cheaper to replace a choke tube than to have a gunsmith the damage to you muzzle.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I run Briley extended chokes. They work well. And you don't need a wrench to change them, most of the time. I have had to use the wrench to break them loose a couple of times.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    ext.or flush everyone has opinion and that's what I'm looking for. So I'm going to revive this one. I've noticed a good bit of choke makers what say yunz. lets start with true lock. Beginner for the most part on this end gun Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon Sport 12 ga 30 inch. Thank You

What's wrong with the chokes that came with the gun?

Edit: Hah hah ha... Found myself replying to my own post from 9 yrs ago.
    The answer is, spend the money on lessons, not chokes.

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    What's wrong with the chokes that came with the gun?

Edit: Hah hah ha... Found myself replying to my own post from 9 yrs ago.
    The answer is, spend the money on lessons, not chokes.

nothing other then less convenient. But ext.look cool. Seriously i assumed the ext. choke's extra length could be a benefit.

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    If you should happen to drop your gun muzzle first on the concrete, it is much cheaper to replace a choke tube than to have a gunsmith the damage to you muzzle.

I run Briley extended chokes. They work well. And you don't need a wrench to change them, most of the time. I have had to use the wrench to break them loose a couple of times.

Thank You

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    Personally I like extended chokes. For me they work better because I don’t have dedicated guns for different clay games. When we go to PG trap and skeet we will usually shoot a few rounds of several different disciplines (trap, skeet, sporting clays, wobble). With the extended tubes I don’t need a wrench to switch out chokes I just grab it and unscrew one and screw in the next one.
    As started a few posts up they do loosen up so I check them periodically.
    Either style works fine it just depends on how you are going to use your gun and what you think is best.
    Thank you so it seems more of a convenience thing then the extra length
    I can’t think of a reason to get flush chokes. When it comes to choke tubes Briley is THE standard. I recommend Briley (non-ported) Spectrum Chokes. There are 4 types of Beretta chokes. Make sure you know which type of choke you have.

https://www.briley.com/c-362-12-gauge.aspx

Thank You

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom