• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2A forever

Oct 25, 2008
    Sykesville,Carroll Cty.
    How do you usually hunt deer and how sucessful have you been lately?

I am contemplating using a blind for crossbow hunting this year in central

MD and didn't know if I could pull it off on public land coming in and out

each day. Would they spook if the blind wasn't in area for a while?

Also, I am thinking of trying Predator camo when hunting out of my

treestand to see if it breaks my outline any better.

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    How do you usually hunt deer and how sucessful have you been lately?

I am contemplating using a blind for crossbow hunting this year in central

MD and didn't know if I could pull it off on public land coming in and out

each day. Would they spook if the blind wasn't in area for a while?

Also, I am thinking of trying Predator camo when hunting out of my

treestand to see if it breaks my outline any better.

I've by far had the most luck with a stand, but ground blinds do work too. Get there early to set up, and put it close to a tree line rather than completely out in the open if you can. My buddy got a huge buck this year from a goose blind of all things. As long as you and your movement are concealed I think you should do fine with a ground blind

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    Tree stand is the best in my experience. I've killed a few deer from my ground blind but it doesn't beat any of my tree stands. When you are getting ready to take a shot I think its easier to conceal your movement from above rather than eye level like in a blind.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    Go in ahead of time and make some ground blinds out of natural materials. You don't need to completely hide yourself just enough to break up your outline and conceal s l o w movements.

Hint - if you can cut off some branches with leaves still on the leaves won't fall off for a couple years.

Schoen

Oct 10, 2010
    mechanicsville MD
    camouflage is over rated . get there early and brake up your outline with any type of cover . look for sign of deer ,what time they pass though , trails ,wind direction and all of the other things . stand or blind it don't matter.just scout the area out that you plan to hunt beforehand . some people just get lucky first day but knowing the area and were the deer are or should be around will always get the best results. as long as some other hunter doesn't spook them first . ( i only hunt with my bear recurve on public land )

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    camouflage is over rated . get there early and brake up your outline with any type of cover . look for sign of deer ,what time they pass though , trails ,wind direction and all of the other things . stand or blind it don't matter.just scout the area out that you plan to hunt beforehand . some people just get lucky first day but knowing the area and were the deer are or should be around will always get the best results. as long as some other hunter doesn't spook them first . ( i only hunt with my bear recurve on public land )
    I respect this! Public land and bear recurve. That's more than fair chase.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Tree stands have inherent advantages. But I have a prejudice about being higher than I care to fall. Ground position requires more attention to terrain and wind direction wether using prefab blind , or natural cover.

As long as the baseline is drab earth tones , it is ( arbitrary estimation) 95% woodsmanship , 5% camo pattern. Ie sound and movement discipline.

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    A 5 gal bucket to sit on.a deadfall tree to sit behind and any old camo you have should work fine if you are set up in an area where deer travel-- I usually see more from a treestand though, although I seldom go higher than 15 or 20 feet the improved vision is worth the chore of setting up the stand.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I use them all. Depends on the location of the hunt, deer travel, and interest of the day. I have several stands, but, I kill most deer on the ground blinds.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Tree stands have inherent advantages. But I have a prejudice about being higher than I care to fall. Ground position requires more attention to terrain and wind direction wether using prefab blind , or natural cover.

As long as the baseline is drab earth tones , it is ( arbitrary estimation) 95% woodsmanship , 5% camo pattern. Ie sound and movement discipline.

Add no peeing and no smoking and most guys would see more deer as well. Keep the cell phone off and stop texting in the woods helps too. LOL

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    If anyone needs bamboo to make a blind with, let me know. Anything from the tops with the leaves to the stems all the way down. I'm going to try to make something with a bit of both parts. Place it out weeks before you actually hunt so the deer get used to it. My location is great, the wind always blows in my favor from late oct through the whole season till end. The deer come and stand around grazing about 4pm and about 40-50 yards away, so it's good for smokepoles and slug guns. There is a natural backstop behind there too. I can sneak down about 3 and settle in and wait, as these deer aren't ultra super spooky. I think my dad wants me to bag a few next season, he keeps saying that there are now too many deer ( plus he LOVES deer chili). My estimates are up to 20deer hanging out in about 5 acres total nearly DAILY. They do roam off to other adjoining properties to bed, eat, and get water, but seem to spend an awful amount of time over here.They have 5-6 bedding/loafing areas on our place and the adjoining foreclosure.

In addition a deer has taken up residence in part of my mom's garden. Most of the ornamentals are things deer don't like, but we always grow tomatoes and some other veggies, plus have fruit bushes, right by there. So far it is one deer from the looks of it, and nocturnal. LOL I am hoping it is a mature buck and he hasn't dropped his rack yet, and one day my mom comes to tell me she has garden antlers for me. There is evidence of bedding and some deer poop, with more poop showing up.

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    You need a hand next season bagging a couple let me know, ill gladly split the deer meat 50/50 and pay for the butcher. Im right up in fallston and I had KCC do a Spike for me last year(first anterled deer, second ever) and they did one hell of a job butchering it.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    LOL I asked my dad today how many deer he wants me to shoot and he said "12". That's the # he last was able to count when stopping mid driveway for a deer to run across and then seeing the rest of the herd standing on one side waiting for my dad to drive past.

2A forever

Oct 25, 2008
    Sykesville,Carroll Cty.
    LOL I asked my dad today how many deer he wants me to shoot and he said "12". That's the # he last was able to count when stopping mid driveway for a deer to run across and then seeing the rest of the herd standing on one side waiting for my dad to drive past.

Be selective how you do it, we busted one out of a regular herd of many and never saw the old gang in the same spot again.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    I use a climber most of the time for bow. For gun, I use my climber as well, but I like to sit on fields in my blind quite often. I've taken several from the blind, with both bow and gun, but it's a lot different than being up in a tree. First of all, you can't see as far, as you don't have the bird's eye view as from a stand. Also, if they get up on you quick, your movement will be severly be restricted, as you're right on their sight level. When I'm feeling lazy, I'll take the blind for blackpowder season and set up on a field in the morning, fire up my little propane heater and stay in all day until dark.

MH

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom