Target shooting in backyard? (Map attached - Carroll County)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nickberg500

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2019
    North of Baltimore County
    Howdy! A friend of mine just bought a house, I'd like to target shoot with him in his backyard, but don't know if there's any laws stopping us.

I've seen some posts saying Carroll County only cares about noise level, and others saying the hunting law of 150 yards somehow applies to regular target shooting.

I'm attaching a map showing the layout (he said his property is probably residential). My questions are:

- Can I target shoot with a .22?
    - If I legally bought a suppresor, would that change anything?
    - If yes to target shooting... Can I shoot skeet/trap? ��

Attachments

• Map.jpg
      Map.jpg
      49.1 KB · Views: 1,464

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    First thing.

The hunting law reads 150 yards from an "occupied dwelling" WITHOUT permission from the owner. So, don't stress much about that. We would need to know some sort of elevations in order to give any advice, makes a big difference. As far as shooting with 7.5-8 shot (clay targets). You can/will rain shot down around 250-275 yards. Much depends on wind, if/how many trees, shot size, load, etc.

My opinion, it's a can of worms. ~200' is no ground at all to cover. I've been involved as a volunteer at a very busy club where we were pelting a neighbors house and vehicles from no where anyone would have ever expected we'd be able to. First two times were relatively cordial conversations, I gave him a full sized ham and all was well. Third time the guy came over and was looking to straight up fight me over.

And,.... I don't blame em. Pisses me off when I get rained on while we're shooting, if it were my house, cars and kids... I'd be pretty unhappy.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Keep in mind, in the example above we are shooting on a 35 acre parcel, over 80 acres total of gun club grounds. Your drawing looks like your buddy has about 2.25 acres or so. At absolute minimum he's going to need to become very friendly with the neighbors.

Nickberg500

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2019
    First thing.

The hunting law reads 150 yards from an "occupied dwelling" WITHOUT permission from the owner. So, don't stress much about that. We would need to know some sort of elevations in order to give any advice, makes a big difference. As far as shooting with 7.5-8 shot (clay targets). You can/will rain shot down around 250-275 yards. Much depends on wind, if/how many trees, shot size, load, etc.

My opinion, it's a can of worms. ~200' is no ground at all to cover. I've been involved as a volunteer at a very busy club where we were pelting a neighbors house and vehicles from no where anyone would have ever expected we'd be able to. First two times were relatively cordial conversations, I gave him a full sized ham and all was well. Third time the guy came over and was looking to straight up fight me over.

And,.... I don't blame em. Pisses me off when I get rained on while we're shooting, if it were my house, cars and kids... I'd be pretty unhappy.

Makes sense. Target shooting is my main focus, skeet/trap is just a bonus. The right side of his property is elevated ~20ft. He doesn't know his neighbors yet so that's still an unknown variable.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Berm/bullet trap will work really well in a residential area for small caliber stuff.

Mr. B

Jul 9, 2019
    MD
    I'll just add start with some CCI Quiet 22 the first time to "break the ice" with the neighbors.

Mr. B

Jul 9, 2019
    MD
    That's the plan, but is there any legal restriction? Maryland laws don't make any sense, and I don't want to be liable.

I'm not sure of the legal restrictions, sorry.

And agreed on MD law.

Personally, I would, and have, responsibly target shoot quiet 22 on personal or friends/relatives property if I had done my due diligence but couldn't decipher the regulations for certain.

20-30 years ago people in the MD counties wouldn't even bat an eye at plinking in the back yard.

Nickberg500

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2019
    I'm not sure of the legal restrictions, sorry.

And agreed on MD law.

Personally, I would, and have, responsibly target shoot quiet 22 on personal or friends/relatives property if I had done my due diligence but couldn't decipher the regulations for certain.

20-30 years ago people in the MD counties wouldn't even bat an eye at plinking in the back yard.

It's pretty lame, and it's only going to get worse.

Is there any way to summon an elder on these forums that would know the legal definition?

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Back in the 90s we were shooting all calibers of firearms off a relative's back deck in Berlin, MD. He owns a lot of land.

Someone called 911 and a Trooper came around the corner of the house. After 2 or 3 investigative questions and a "whatchya got" (in a curious/friendly way) we were back to shooting before the trooper got back to his car.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Makes sense. Target shooting is my main focus, skeet/trap is just a bonus. The right side of his property is elevated ~20ft. He doesn't know his neighbors yet so that's still an unknown variable.

I’d go with no. If he’s got a good backstop and isn’t visible from his neighbors, suppressed 22s on non-steel Targets I’d say is fine. But on an acre and a half or two, anything supersonic and non-suppressed you will piss off the neighbors at a minimum. Definitely no clays. You’ll rain lead down all over their houses and property.

It might be legal, but if you piss off the neighbors, that’s never a good thing. Also if you sufficiently piss them off the police probably can find you as a public nuisance. IMHO, I am damn friendly towards shooting on your own property, hunting, etc. and I’d be pretty pissed at my neighbors if they were shooting clays a few hundred feet from my house. One thing a blast or two hunting or some suppressed subsonic target shooting, but guns are loud. It would be another if my nearest neighbor was 1000+ft from my house.

For safe backstops, keep in mind billets can ricochet. So unless it’s a steep and tall hillside, not a good or safe idea. You could build a rock free berm in front of a hill to make it safe. I still go with what happens if something goes wrong. Accidental discharge down range, CAN a bullet travel a path and connect with a neighbors house? Don’t do it period, even if the berm and targets there are safe, an off target down range AD/ND can happen. Next, if it’s down range and misses the berm, is it likely to land somewhere on my neighbor’s property? Also probably not a good idea, but less outright no.

This all goes with never seen the property. It could be fine, but 2 acres is still an awfully small property to be shooting on.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    That's the plan, but is there any legal restriction? Maryland laws don't make any sense, and I don't want to be liable.

Its county by county and town by town. State doesn’t regulate discharge of a firearm for non-hunting reasons. Hunting is a different thing.

You’d need to call CC police or the town police and ask them. I’d still go with not a great idea on a property that small. Or if you were, talk to the neighbors first. Legal, safe and smart are all different things. It’s probably legal. It may be safe. Won’t know if it’s smart until you ask the immediate neighbors.

Per my previous, clay shooting isn’t smart on that property, period. Not unless you end up talking to the neighbors of the neighbors. As pointed out, you can drop shot 200-300yds away. Which means you really need like 30+ acres or some of its going off property and likely pissing someone off. Plus really loud, which also means possibly pissing neighbors off several properties down.

If it isn’t visible from any neighbors, okay shooting some quiets or silenced sub 22s if it is safe and legal, go ahead. But if they can see you, even if quiet isn’t smart on such a small property IMHO

Nickberg500

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2019
    Its county by county and town by town. State doesn’t regulate discharge of a firearm for non-hunting reasons. Hunting is a different thing.

You’d need to call CC police or the town police and ask them. I’d still go with not a great idea on a property that small. Or if you were, talk to the neighbors first. Legal, safe and smart are all different things. It’s probably legal. It may be safe. Won’t know if it’s smart until you ask the immediate neighbors.

Per my previous, clay shooting isn’t smart on that property, period. Not unless you end up talking to the neighbors of the neighbors. As pointed out, you can drop shot 200-300yds away. Which means you really need like 30+ acres or some of its going off property and likely pissing someone off. Plus really loud, which also means possibly pissing neighbors off several properties down.

If it isn’t visible from any neighbors, okay shooting some quiets or silenced sub 22s if it is safe and legal, go ahead. But if they can see you, even if quiet isn’t smart on such a small property IMHO

Thanks for your feedback. I think I've given up on trap shooting at this point unless the entire neighborhood is in his backyard.

I think there's adequate cover and elevation to be safe with subsonic .22lr, so at this point the only thing I'm worried about is Carroll county law.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    If/when your friend speaks with his 4 neighbors (and he should given their close proximity), I highly recommend that he offers to let them join in. Another consideration, if the conversation seems to require, perhaps have him offer to give any on the fence a day or two notice in advance. These gestures should help in opening the range for operations. They will not help convince someone who has made up their mind against firearms. We used this with success when opening up my brother-in-law's backyard range. His neighbors are much closer to his house than your friend's, but he has 8 acres in back going into a hill.

Woody

Oct 27, 2017
    Thanks for your feedback. I think I've given up on trap shooting at this point unless the entire neighborhood is in his backyard.

I think there's adequate cover and elevation to be safe with subsonic .22lr, so at this point the only thing I'm worried about is Carroll county law.

Glad you are at least looking into it... Main thing is to be absolutely 100% sure of the safety. From there, it definitely depends on the lot.

I am on a little over 2 acres in Balto County, which I believe has similar regs as CC...and while I have a very safe, private shooting situation, few around me could do so without signicantly higher hassle factor... I am on a fairly steep hill, and my property backs up to reservoir property, so I can work it out easily and safely for suppressed 22's. Would I be legal to shoot 12 gauge? Probably...but I would personally want a lot more space before letting the big cannons off...

Set yourself up so that even a nervous neighbor would feel better once they saw your setup. If it's safe, and you're respectful, that will go a long way...good neighbor stuff.

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    I am in CC and yes it is very unclear. My townie cop told me since I am just outside of the town limits I would be ok target shooting with a bow as long as my neighbors are good with it but not with a gun. Now the occasional single shot at a varmint OK again as long as neighbors are cool. I am on only 3/4 acre.

And he11 no to the sky busting. There is a farm near me to the west and my house driveway get rained on from over 400 yards away when the were goose hunting the middle of the field. I didn't complain since it wasn't but a few days out of the season but it did piss me off when I found a .22 hole in the side of my house.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Howdy! A friend of mine just bought a house, I'd like to target shoot with him in his backyard, but don't know if there's any laws stopping us.

I've seen some posts saying Carroll County only cares about noise level, and others saying the hunting law of 150 yards somehow applies to regular target shooting.

I'm attaching a map showing the layout (he said his property is probably residential). My questions are:

- Can I target shoot with a .22?
    - If I legally bought a suppresor, would that change anything?
    - If yes to target shooting... Can I shoot skeet/trap? ��

So how far away is the house or houses to the left of the map?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom