• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Most federal courts do not have as rigorous printing requirements as SCOTUS. SCOTUS requires 40 bound copies in 6 1/8 x 9 1/4 booklet format. Most people/places are not set up to handle those requirements.

That’s just another excuse. I’m quite sure that in legal circles at that level, people know who is capable of getting something like that done and who isn’t.
    I see Kharn beat me to it above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    Googling "supreme court brief printers" gave me seven companies that explicitly state they print SC briefs to the required standard before the first nonsense result.

That’s just another excuse. I’m quite sure that in legal circles at that level, people know who is capable of getting something like that done and who isn’t.
    I see Kharn beat me to it above.

The issue is not finding a printer, it is getting through their queue. There are only a limited number of printers, which means a lot of work is funneled through them so the queue is a bit longer than you might expect. A week lead time is not unusual.

Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    Too polite I say. No doubt the state has printers and the binding capabilities needed. It's just an excuse.

My father works in the printing industry and I worked for him as a teenager. For an order like this a two week lead time would be normal. Usually, though, (especially given the proximity to the holidays) a month is fairly normal. Mind you, his company does standard commercial printing. If Frosh has to use a more specialized printing service I can only imagine the wait time being even worse. This time at least I will give him the benefit of the doubt knowing the timetable involved and knowing this is not a very high priority to Frosh. However, if he delays past the acceptance period of the next set of cases it would be a very deliberate act of stalling and should be heckled appropriately.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    However, if he delays past the acceptance period of the next set of cases it would be a very deliberate act of stalling and should be heckled appropriately.

Any amount of heckling of Frosh would be appropriate, at any time.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    My father works in the printing industry and I worked for him as a teenager. For an order like this a two week lead time would be normal. Usually, though, (especially given the proximity to the holidays) a month is fairly normal. Mind you, his company does standard commercial printing. If Frosh has to use a more specialized printing service I can only imagine the wait time being even worse. This time at least I will give him the benefit of the doubt knowing the timetable involved and knowing this is not a very high priority to Frosh. However, if he delays past the acceptance period of the next set of cases it would be a very deliberate act of stalling and should be heckled appropriately.

This. And I doubt they are that different from feds. Agencies often have in house media departments that can do printing and what not. However it’s unlikely what they could do matches what SCOTUS requires with binding and what not. Feds have commercial contracts for printers for most stuff that isn’t “I need 30 copies of a presentation in a binder for a conference” that would be in-sourced.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    The issue is not finding a printer, it is getting through their queue. There are only a limited number of printers, which means a lot of work is funneled through them so the queue is a bit longer than you might expect. A week lead time is not unusual.

Wow, a whole week? It’s not
    like they don’t know when the deadline is well ahead of time. It’s a lame excuse and you know it.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    Wow, a whole week? It’s not
    like they don’t know when the deadline is well ahead of time. It’s a lame excuse and you know it.

The petitioners knew 90 days before it was due yet they asked for a 60 day extension anyway. The respondent only get 30 days yet only asked for a 30 day extension. The reasoning was not just to coordinate with a printer, it was that she is new to the case and needs to get up to speed on it, is busy with other cases, and to facilitate the state's internal review process.

There are lots of reasons to bash the MD AG's office, I don't believe this is one of those reasons.

Last edited:

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    Am I the only one here that has almost zero faith that the Supreme Court is going to step in and decide to fix any of the wrong Maryland has allowed to be done to itself?

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    Not really a surprise:

"Nov 05 2019 Motion to extend the time to file a response is granted and the time is extended to and including December 18, 2019."

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I expect Malpasso to receive a GVR after NYSRPA is resolved.

Me too, if NYSPRA is resolved on the merits. If it is mooted out, then we wait and see if the Court grants cert on any of the other many 2A cases now before it.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Am I the only one here that has almost zero faith that the Supreme Court is going to step in and decide to fix any of the wrong Maryland has allowed to be done to itself?

Well that can be answered in a number of ways......

As it stands now my prediction is NYSRPA will wipe out Woollard. Then we see if the opinion has enough juice that the 4th Circuit decides to reverse in Malpasso.
    Also, I believe if remanded this goes back to the same 3 judge panel. One Obama appointee (Floyd), one Trump(Quattlebaum), and Traxler who has an excellent 2A track record. Decent odds there.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Well that can be answered in a number of ways......

As it stands now my prediction is NYSRPA will wipe out Woollard. Then we see if the opinion has enough juice that the 4th Circuit decides to reverse in Malpasso.
    Also, I believe if remanded this goes back to the same 3 judge panel. One Obama appointee (Floyd), one Trump(Quattlebaum), and Traxler who has an excellent 2A track record. Decent odds there.

Do you really think they will take a case about simple transport and make it about carry? I can't say I see them making it any broader than it needs to be. I hope you are right.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Do you really think they will take a case about simple transport and make it about carry? I can't say I see them making it any broader than it needs to be. I hope you are right.
    There is a chance that the Court will make it clear that intermediate scrutiny is not the right test. That the right test is text history and tradition. And then GVR for application of that test. MD *should* lose under that test.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    There is a chance that the Court will make it clear that intermediate scrutiny is not the right test. That the right test is text history and tradition. And then GVR for application of that test. MD *should* lose under that test.

Makes sense. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom