• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    I don't disagree with Roadawgs conclusion, it's wise. I would contend that if glock had never put those stupid finger grooves, or made the trigger guard so fat that most users would never consider a dremel or stippling.

IMO, they should have made the Gen 4, a Gen 1 grip profile with RTF texturing and a railed dust cover, and leave the Gen 3 Internal design as is.

Those who decide to dremel or stipple should test the gun well to be sure the firearm works if you decide to make modifications. If you do the work yourself practice on a Glock knife, magazine loading tool, or the case.

IMO, the best stippling work done is performed by cold bore customs. He is a LEO and does amazing work.

I agree with Chad.

I am a "glock guy" and I hate the finger grooves, and the smooth grips of the gen 3s. If they would make a gun with a Gen 2 style grip, Gen 4 style texture, and keep the Gen 4 mag release...oh man. It really would be "Glock perfection."

Just my opinion.

I have considered sending one to cold bore customs. I still might.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    I guess I don't understand what stippling is. I thought it was just putting little bumps in the plastic to give it more grip

It is, but it is usually done by applying heat to the grip (i.e. soldering iron.) Some say that, done improperly, it could reduce the strength of the frame, or even change the dynamics of the frame flexing under recoil, causing malfunctions.

Done properly by professionals, I think they're just as reliable as from the factory, but it is something to take under consideration.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Hell if I was glock I'd claim the same thing. It protects you from BS insurance claims and sets them up for a 100 dollar uniform factory stippled option. Basically a upgraded RTF

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Hell if I was glock I'd claim the same thing. It protects you from BS insurance claims and sets them up for a 100 dollar uniform factory stippled option. Basically a upgraded RTF

An idea worth their attention... Or even a "Custom Pistol Operations" section at the company where they remove the bumps for customers, stipple the frame as ordered and then "Certify" the work thus preserving the warranty. :shrug:

Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009
    I really didn't worry about that at all. I have 3 glocks and the most expensive one cost me $400. All were bought used, so no factory warranty. I also changed parts, and shot reloaded ammo through them. One has 10k rounds of 9 Major through it. It's under cut, stippled, and has two new holes drilled in the frame for the sight mount. Frame still hasn't failed.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I really didn't worry about that at all. I have 3 glocks and the most expensive one cost me $400. All were bought used, so no factory warranty. I also changed parts, and shot reloaded ammo through them. One has 10k rounds of 9 Major through it. It's under cut, stippled, and has two new holes drilled in the frame for the sight mount. Frame still hasn't failed.

I was under the impression all gun manufacturers have a "lifetime" warranty due to liability reason. Costs them barely anything to fix an issue with one of their pistols. That is the ounce of prevention that prevents a quadzillion dollar lawsuit against their product. I could be wrong. Usually am.

Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009
    No, they have a limited 1 year warranty per there web page. See below.

The warranty will be void if any of the following occur:

1. The instructions in the Instructions for Use manual are not followed;

2. Your GLOCK pistol or any of its parts are altered or modified from their original sate;

3. Damage is caused by misuse, abuse or improper maintenance;

4. Your GLOCK pistol is disassembled beyond the instruction in Chapter 9 of the Instructions for Use manual; or

5. Reloaded, remanufactured, or handloaded ammunition, or ammunition of a different caliber than your GLOCK pistol is used.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Ill never understand why people send a glock away for a grand worth of work when they can just buy something to better begin with.

Before the glockers freak out, I own glocks, and currenty have one on me as i type this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Ill never understand why people send a glock away for a grand worth of work when they can just buy something to better begin with.

Before the glockers freak out, I own glocks, and currenty have one on me as i type this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't either. Good grip work from cold bore runs about $200.00.

Beyond a good set of sights, and maybe some trigger work (and that's a HUGE maybe) nothing else is needed. Those 2 things are the most often thing changed on handguns of all makes, and the grips which = stippling or grip reductions on a polymer framed gun.

Stippling was once popular on metal framed guns too. The top of the slide and the front and back strap were prime areas to stipple.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    I was under the impression all gun manufacturers have a "lifetime" warranty due to liability reason. Costs them barely anything to fix an issue with one of their pistols. That is the ounce of prevention that prevents a quadzillion dollar lawsuit against their product. I could be wrong. Usually am.

Glock has this really nice little benefit for the owners... You can send any Glock pistol back to the factory and they will replace any or all worn parts with new... Provided you have not altered the frame or other parts beyond normal maintenance and approved replacement parts.

I wouldn't either. Good grip work from cold bore runs about $200.00.

Beyond a good set of sights, and maybe some trigger work (and that's a HUGE maybe) nothing else is needed. Those 2 things are the most often thing changed on handguns of all makes, and the grips which = stippling or grip reductions on a polymer framed gun.

Stippling was once popular on metal framed guns too. The top of the slide and the front and back strap were prime areas to stipple.

That is another reason I do not want a stippled Glock pistol. Stippling is a fad that will disappear but the pistol cannot be returned to factory surface condition. I have seen many "customized" things in my life and been very disappointed in the complete ruin of some very nice things.

THIS is why we can't have nice things...

leopardskin_rifle-tfb.jpg

Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009
    Instead of hot iron destruction.......... I would advise those shooters to work on there grip/grip strength first

Personally I'd like to think I'm an okay shot, and my grip strength is at least adequate. But, I like a aggressive texture on my grips and I want every advantage I can get for competition. I feel stippling does improve my grip on the gun and that is really all I was worried about when I did my guns.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Glock has this really nice little benefit for the owners... You can send any Glock pistol back to the factory and they will replace any or all worn parts with new... Provided you have not altered the frame or other parts beyond normal maintenance and approved replacement parts.

That is another reason I do not want a stippled Glock pistol. Stippling is a fad that will disappear but the pistol cannot be returned to factory surface condition. I have seen many "customized" things in my life and been very disappointed in the complete ruin of some very nice things.

THIS is why we can't have nice things...

leopardskin_rifle-tfb.jpg

I get what you are saying, but remember that some people who shoot often, will change things on their firearms. It can be reliability work to make them trustworthy, trigger work to make the shot more predictable, checkering in on a metal frame, drill & tap/sight milling, porting, threading, dehorning/carry package, and refinishing. All of these are things that some would perceive to destroy the value of a gun, but often makes it easier to shoot, more accurate, or more reliable.

Im a shooter. My guns are tools, not investments.

I don't own a stock firearm and I never will. All of my firearms have been modified slightly or significantly, and most mods are not reversible. I have never taken a loss due to the modifications I have made to my firearms.

I will be sending 2 of my glocks to cold bore for grip and trigger modification and I know that if I had to resell, I could recover my investment. I can do this work but cold bore does it better, thus they get my money. I don't do it for "grip", I do it to make magazine extraction easier, remove the dumb finger grooves, make the trigger guard thinner, and the rear hump corrected. I shoot glocks with these mods faster, and more consistently, and they don't tear the skin off my middle finger from the trigger guard and finger grooves attacking my knuckle.

If people dont think it's worthwhile, they shouldn't do it.

Bobtail1.jpg

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I buy pistols that I like out of the box. But that's just me.

That's not wrong, it's your buying perspective.

I buy guns that have abundant parts availability, this my favorability for glocks and ar15's. I do this because my time as a gunsmith has shown me how hard parts can be to get from some manufacturers. Glock's ergos suck for me (thus the grip mods) but the mechanical design of the gun is marvelous, and I'll never have to worry about gettimg parts and fixing it if it breaks.

Lets say an HK or a CZ fits me great, but what about the triggers, are they a pain to improve? The CZ is.

How expensive are magazines, and are they abundant? Glock mags are everywhere.

How many places carry spare parts? Is there an abundant source of certified armorers that stock parts at local shops? There is for glocks, and a million on the internet. Can't say that for some imported stuff, or even domestic manufacturers like Ruger who restricts things like firing pins.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom