• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kagemusha

May 8, 2012
    Baltimore City
    Wait a minute! At http://www.mdsp.org/Organization/Su...ion/Firearms/HandgunQualificationLicense.aspx it says "Required to have the HQL, but exempt from the training component" # 6 says "Lawfully owns a regulated firearm. If you already own a handgun or assault weapon prior to October 1, 2013, you do not have to complete the training to apply for the Handgun Qualification License." This means I don't have to take the class if I already have a handgun? I can just apply for the HQL and get fingerprinted to buy another one after Oct1?

parbreak

Ultimate Member
    Feb 18, 2008
    That list is certainly not complete because I'm not on it and I've been one for years. Just more of the effectiveness of MSP coming through.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    My understanding from MSP, is that on or about 9/15 you will be able to create an online account as an existing instructor.

Wait and see...

:smoke: wait and see...? Why is it civies should act as agents for the state? as of late, i have become very wary of the state as a whole and think; new laws are imposed AGAINST THE WILL of the people, and the populace (civilian instructors) are necessary to complete the transaction of an un-infringed constitutional right? well where the eff do we stand having voting judges screen voters for valid ID and citizenship?! Ugh!

in the beginning of all this, i wanted to do the training for free or at a steeply discounted rate. just to send the message that the state won't undermine our constitutional rights. now i am suggesting not to register and leave the state with NO instructors. even though the state wouldn't care, the politicians would. having new gun purchasers add to the mix of seasoned gun owners protesting the state on it's firearms policy, could make a big difference at the polls.

the other option is to make the training so effing expensive, only the wealthy could afford it. kinda like the Permitting Process here. :smoke:

Troublesbrewin

Handgunner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 17, 2013
    Ellicott City
    :smoke: wait and see...? Why is it civies should act as agents for the state? as of late, i have become very wary of the state as a whole and think; new laws are imposed AGAINST THE WILL of the people, and the populace (civilian instructors) are necessary to complete the transaction of an un-infringed constitutional right? well where the eff do we stand having voting judges screen voters for valid ID and citizenship?! Ugh!

in the beginning of all this, i wanted to do the training for free or at a steeply discounted rate. just to send the message that the state won't undermine our constitutional rights. now i am suggesting not to register and leave the state with NO instructors. even though the state wouldn't care, the politicians would. having new gun purchasers add to the mix of seasoned gun owners protesting the state on it's firearms policy, could make a big difference at the polls.

the other option is to make the training so effing expensive, only the wealthy could afford it. kinda like the Permitting Process here. :smoke:

This new law is infringing on the poor who only have the funds for a defensive tool being forced to pay for training, a license and State Police background checks effectively adding about $200 to the price of any handgun.

mdvctry

Follow Me @DukesDefense
    Nov 10, 2011
    I have the Certified Handgun Instructor card. Is there a registration link to become "Qualified"?

Yes, or rather you have to send an email to MSP with a copy of your NRA Certificatin card, MD Handgun Certified Instructor license, etc. then register online to get an account for the non-existent training portal. In the end it is supposed to look some what like the NRA Instructor portal. It's supposed to be up and running tomorrow. ... I'm going to start teaching classes this week and provide a certificate of training until MSP provides further instruction and information. My classes will run about six hours with range time.

The MSP email address is on the licensing division website. I don't recall exactly which page linked to it. If anyone else has it? It might be useful to post it.

parbreak

Ultimate Member
    Feb 18, 2008
    Thanks Kevin,

I emailed them when I received the advisory in the mail back in August. Emailed them again a few days ago. Come to find out, I'm not the only one not listed on that crude spreadsheet. At 3 others I know of are not listed. There are exactly 25 on the spreadsheet so I'm wondering if they inputted 25, called it a day, as a test of the website?? Called MSP on Friday and I'm definitely certified/qualified which is a good thing since I've signed off on well over 50 security guards this year. No one could tell me why I wasn't listed on the spreadsheet at that time. As of this writing the entire MSP website is DOWN!!

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    I have the Certified Handgun Instructor card. Is there a registration link to become "Qualified"?

Even though you are certified, you have to email the licensing division to become qualified - or "certified lite" as I call it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom