• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikem623

Jan 8, 2016
    Carney
    Bought a very nice REM 1100 3" Mag with a extra fully rifled barrel. Previous owner altered stock. Replaced stock with a factory synthetic stock. When using the rifled barrel with a NIKON SHOTGUN SCOPE I cannot get a pattern better than 6". Used a Lead Sled on a bench. Tried all brands of Sabots 2 3/4" & 3". One thing to note is that the Forearm is a very tight fit with rifled barrel. ANY SUGGESTIONS.

Have a Mossberg 500 with same setup that gives me a 2 1/2" Pattern at 100yd

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    You mentioned a rifles barrel. If that’s what you’re useing, sabots are designed for rifles barrels.

If smooth, use slugs like sluggers or brenneke ko and similar. Go with a wide choke. My remingtons, 870 and 1187 prefer mod with both slugger and brenneke, but some folks say use IC or something else open. As mentioned above.

That said, I’ve had a brand new scope go bad on me once on the first trip to the range. I thought it was me at first, but had several folks check things and they had same results. new scope was just fine. It was a nikon too. Still have the promo Nikon jacket somewhere around the house.

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    Saw the other thing you mentioned about the right forearm. Check the regular barrel and see if it’s a light contour barrel. They’re thinner than regular barrels. My LC has a regular contour plastic forearm on it and it’s a bit looser.

If you have the LC Forearm a regular barrel, it may be tighter fitting and having an effect.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Is fully rifled, or a rifled choke tube ?

But in either case , did your selection include the W-W " BRI Original " ? If not, give them a try, they are the gold standard for pure accuracy .

Vic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2010
    Whiteford, MD
    A lot of the older rifled slug barrels have a slow twist rate, 1 in 34 or so. Many of the new sabot slugs need a 1 - 28" to stabilize the faster slug. Find a slug at or under 1500 fps and that might make a difference. I have a Browning A-Bolt Slug Gun. Anything over 1500 fps has poor accuracy. Finally wound up using Federal Premiums shooting a 1 ounce Barnes slug at 1500 fps. They shoot 1.5" at 100 yds.
    V

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Question, How is the scope mounted? Cantilever barrel? Saddle mount? What rings? Also, the inconsistency with how the barrel mates in to the receiver can come in to play. I know people that have pinned barrels in to the receiver to try to get better consistency. For my uncle in-law's 1100, I managed to get some good groups with federal truball slugs. You may want to give them a looksee.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Simple solution, and probably not what you want to hear, but here goes anyway. Use the Mossberg for deer and turn the 1100 into your turkey, duck, small game gun with the proper barrel and chokes of course.

If you continue to chase this rabbit down this hole, double check scope with a different scope, check all screws etc. finally you may have to remove some fore end with an Exacto.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    A lot of the older rifled slug barrels have a slow twist rate, 1 in 34 or so. Many of the new sabot slugs need a 1 - 28" to stabilize the faster slug. Find a slug at or under 1500 fps and that might make a difference. I have a Browning A-Bolt Slug Gun. Anything over 1500 fps has poor accuracy. Finally wound up using Federal Premiums shooting a 1 ounce Barnes slug at 1500 fps. They shoot 1.5" at 100 yds.
    V

FINALLY an explanation that has perplexed me for >30 years! I have a old Win 1200 with the first rifled barrel that was available and it loves Rem 1oz rifled slugs but won't shoot SABOTs worth a damn including Bernanke's. I never knew why. The rifled barrel was more accurate than the smooth bore "deer" barrel it replaced.

My SBII w/ a rifled barrel, (4x the cost of the win barrels) loves the Rem Sabots and will do MOA groups at 100 yards.

Good luck.

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    You mentioned a rifles barrel. If that’s what you’re useing, sabots are designed for rifles barrels.

If smooth, use slugs like sluggers or brenneke ko and similar. Go with a wide choke. My remingtons, 870 and 1187 prefer mod with both slugger and brenneke, but some folks say use IC or something else open. As mentioned above.

That said, I’ve had a brand new scope go bad on me once on the first trip to the range. I thought it was me at first, but had several folks check things and they had same results. new scope was just fine. It was a nikon too. Still have the promo Nikon jacket somewhere around the house.

When you say the scope went bad what actually happened to the scope?

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Better recoil management may be a possible solution to improving the accuracy potential of your shotgun. A more consistent grip and follow through may help. Whatever ammo you settle on could be allowing recoil to affect your consistency.
    The set up could be recoiling before the slug sabot or whatever leaves the barrel resulting in unwanted dispersion. Stock design/ gun fit alone could be the culprit in some instances and a good place to start for a remedy.

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    It was shooting ten inch groups at about 50 yards. Every shot was somewhere else.

3 shots in a row and none near the previous, from a table and rest. I had a couple other guys I know that were shooting next table try. Same problem. Had a spare scope at home and used that. It was just fine after a couple first few shots to sight in.

And Technically, I guess it didn’t go bad, it came that way because it was new, out of the box.

When you say the scope went bad what actually happened to the scope?

mikem623

Jan 8, 2016
    Carney
    Before I go to the range ,will mount and bore sight a spare scope to take with me. If the problem Persists will switch scopes. Know that zero will not be perfect but will be on paper. Also intend to rework forearm. Tight on right side .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom