• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    In today's mail I rec'd yet another letter from the NRA telling me that I owe them money toward my "Patron" status, and giving me 90 days to cough up another payment, which they will not be getting from me until and unless they clean up their act, and dump WLP. He may or may not have been an asset previously, but sticking around is costing them support, which I don't see they will easily get back.

Worse - much worse, they sent me a 60-page catalogue from NRAstore.com, filled with the kind of stuff neither I nor most of the membership is interested in. They need to attend to job one, or what good are they?

Attachments

• NRA.jpg
      NRA.jpg
      98.5 KB · Views: 1,865

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    I am in the same place you are, I support the NRA but will not as it currently exists. Wayne and the current Board need to go.

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    I really don't care about Wayne's salary,suits or house. What I do care about is that he has become a liability and renders the NRA ineffective.
    I wish he had stepped down a year ago and Chris Cox had taken over.
    At this point it is too late for any small measures or saving face, if the organization is going to fulfill it's primary mission it needs new leadership and transparency

hillbilly grandpa

Jan 26, 2013
    Arnold
    I'm a NRA Certified Trainer and CRSO. NRA training courses are important portals of entry to firearms ownership, safety and proficiency. They are also an important source of new members. Despite this the Training/Education division is one of most seriously understaffed and under-resourced divisions in the whole operation. This serious and ongoing misalignment of mission and resources is one reason my contribution to the NRA is modest.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Our gun club requires members to also be a member of the NRA. I imitated a motion to change the bylaws to allow members to be part of any one of several 2A organizations, including MSI.

I’ll still support the NRA but they should feel the heat IMO. We are faced with serious 2A challenges and every freaking available dollar needs to go to the war effort. I Would love Wayne to show up to the next board meeting wearing cloths from TJ Maxx.

namrelio

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2013
    Frederick Co. Virginia
    I'm a lifetime member. I don't give a rats ass what Wayne wears. I don't care too much if he steals "some" of my money. The only thing I care about is keeping the same amount of members as we now have.

PLEASE, please don't jump ship. I've said it before, the strength of the NRA is the amount of members it has. Ten other gun groups with the same amount of members as the NRA is only one tenth as strong. I used to send money to them from time to time when I had extra. I don't no more. Now I help them out by signing up a new member. Wife, son, brother, or neighbor. Its harder for them to steal that money and it does more good.

If the dems see the NRA as weak, turn em in, we're done. The dems are the worst enemy this country has ever faced. They don't pass laws anymore, they're whole being is trying to impeach the best President in the history of the US, and disarm us. Don't quit the NRA and make it easy for them.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    As an Endowment Life Member I don't intend to jump ship, but I strongly feel that the Captain has pushed the organisation into mutiny territory.

I don't care how good a lobbyist Wayne may be . . . he has lost credibility with a lot of hardcore NRA members. He needs to man up and take a walk, for the good of the organisation he heads. If he doesn't understand that, he doesn't deserve to continue in his post, and is demonstrating that fact.

At this point, my donation funds are going to Judicial Watch - they're kicking ass and taking names, and will probably be deposing Hillary soon.

MSI gets my support also, some funding and face time as a volunteer.

Once NRA sorts out its issues, they'll get more of my money.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    As an Endowment Life Member I don't intend to jump ship, but I strongly feel that the Captain has pushed the organisation into mutiny territory.

I don't care how good a lobbyist Wayne may be . . . he has lost credibility with a lot of hardcore NRA members. He needs to man up and take a walk, for the good of the organisation he heads. If he doesn't understand that, he doesn't deserve to continue in his post, and is demonstrating that fact.

At this point, my donation funds are going to Judicial Watch - they're kicking ass and taking names, and will probably be deposing Hillary soon.

MSI gets my support also, some funding and face time as a volunteer.

Once NRA sorts out its issues, they'll get more of my money.

Bang on!

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    I have throwing NRA stuff away until they straighten out. No reason to leave as Im life member.

Smile on 2nd amendment foundation, others as I can.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    I'm also a Life Member, and I got a hysterical letter from Vienna about how they're on the verge of bankruptcy yet again. Sorry Wayne, my meager discretionary cash goes to MSI and SAF, in that order.

Hillbilly Grandpa makes a very valid point. NRA somehow managed to become a training and certification source; a somewhat effective lobbying source; a VERY picky 2A litigator; a purveyor of overpriced branded doodads and farkles; and a target of the Left. IMO, that's way too many directions at once; no wonder they're now tying their shoelaces together and wondering why they can't run a race. Because in part of the vanity at the top and turmoil on the BOD.

NRA has become a farce. It needs to figure out just what the Hell kind of an organization it is. And that's a shame.

I too foresee mutiny on the horizon soon. If the top won't willingly change, perhaps it needs to GET changed by the voting membership. Something needs doing soon; elections are coming.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Our gun club requires members to also be a member of the NRA. I imitated a motion to change the bylaws to allow members to be part of any one of several 2A organizations, including MSI.

I’ll still support the NRA but they should feel the heat IMO. We are faced with serious 2A challenges and every freaking available dollar needs to go to the war effort. I Would love Wayne to show up to the next board meeting wearing cloths from TJ Maxx.

Reason why gun clubs have that requirement is because the NRA maintains the rules, provides training for range officers, and all the other oversight for shooting in general. None of those 2A organisations do any of that.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Reason why gun clubs have that requirement is because the NRA maintains the rules, provides training for range officers, and all the other oversight for shooting in general. None of those 2A organisations do any of that.

Those are good points and worthy of support. If the NRA didn’t sponsor another shooting match or train another range safety officer others would fill that void. However if they cannot effectively create a unified battle front politically none of that training matters.

Right now I feel support for MSI is better bang for your buck in MD than the NRA and it seems to be money well spent.

That being said I am a Life member and I’ve made additional donations to PVF and ILA and I’ll continue to do so as I feel compelled to do so.

hillbilly grandpa

Jan 26, 2013
    Arnold

My RSO and CRSO training were both the result of my direct registration for courses offered by NRA certified instructors. I paid for those courses. No club was involved. I belong to one NRA affiliated club and one non-affiliated cliub. Both organize and oversee their own range safety trainings without any natyional NRA involvement.

The state affiliate through their Friends of the NRA events/fundraisers provides a sugnificant amount of grant money to support club programs at the affiliated club.

Fedora

Dec 16, 2018
    You know that old story about the guy playing poker? The one that's looking around the table wondering who the sucker is? I'm tired of being that guy.

I do not credit the apologist's plea that the NRA is still indispensible. There was a time it was useful, say between 1977 and the mid-1980s. That was an interregnum of maybe a decade when it was credible that the NRA could sway close elections. At least, at the time, I thought so.

That was the period before laptops, before 24 hour news, before social media, and before millions of people could be messaged for a tuppence. It was a time when politicians in some districts could be swayed with a letter grade. Not so much, anymore. Blue office-seekers would rather have loose voting filters than an "A" rating from an organization of leprous gun owners. Based on that, I think a robust argument could be made that the NRA has been losing legislative influence for three decades or more, slowly at first, and now suddenly.

But at one time the NRA was important, because our fight was political. It no longer is. Our fight moved to the courts with Heller. It won't be there forever. There will be a time when it shifts back to the legislature, but that won't be in my lifetime. Think of how long the civil rights struggle took. It began prior to the Civil War (1861-1864) and hasn't yet ended. Or the abortion issue, which started way back when and is still fought today. Regarding the Second Amendment, we can expect the occasional great victory, but the final relief will favor our grandchildren.

I'm a endowment member of the NRA, an organization which in my mind is no no longer politically useful. They know that, I think, because they're furiously milking the cow before she dies. The NRA has become, like so many other charities and foundations, a means of personal enrichment. I cannot countenance their constant demand for funds when the fight is no longer where their strength lies, and while the upper echelon lives like kings. That's too close to rich-living televangelists, too close to a betrayal of trust to suit me.

So the NRA left me. It just took me until the latest shenanigans to recognize it.

jmike3543

Sep 10, 2018
    I'm torn between supporting and dumping the NRA. On one hand Wayne and his cronies should be thrown out but on the other it seems like any chance of that happening are slim to none now that Wayne has seemingly finished his Great Purge of the organization throwing out even long time effective members like Chris Cox. A weakened NRA can only lead to less gun rights. But does that allow room for standing up against cronyism Wayne using NRA funds for his own benefit?

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    While I think the NRA should be reformed in significant ways, there are no doubts parts of the organization that continue to do important work (e.g. beyond instructor programs on the training side, the NRA is involved in many state level fights for 2A rights). I think one area of concern at the national level is where monies are currently going, and whether some of the costly legal bills are selfinflicted damage because of either corrupt or negligent leadership by WLP et al (this is aside from the argument regarding the NRA compromising 2A rights at the national level).

Despite these issues, headlines like this piss me off ...

Rasmussen poll: 28 percent of Democrats say it should be illegal to belong to NRA
    https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brie...percent-of-democrats-say-it-should-be-illegal

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Wayne cannot dismiss the board. Time for members to inundate it with your displeasure. Those that don’t respond need to be voted out.

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    In today's mail I rec'd yet another letter from the NRA telling me that I owe them money toward my "Patron" status, and giving me 90 days to cough up another payment, which they will not be getting from me until and unless they clean up their act, and dump WLP. He may or may not have been an asset previously, but sticking around is costing them support, which I don't see they will easily get back.

Worse - much worse, they sent me a 60-page catalogue from NRAstore.com, filled with the kind of stuff neither I nor most of the membership is interested in. They need to attend to job one, or what good are they?

So I may understand, you signed up to upgrade from Endowment Life, to Patron Life (the quarterly payment deal I am guessing), and now, since you don't like what they are doing, you are suspending payments?

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    So I may understand, you signed up to upgrade from Endowment Life, to Patron Life (the quarterly payment deal I am guessing), and now, since you don't like what they are doing, you are suspending payments?

Yup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom