• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    long story short, going hog/deer hunting in NC in November. I am 63 and have hunted off/on all my life. Never needed the MD class cause I held license prior to 1977 or whatever it was. I need the hunter ed class to be able to get a non-resident NC license.

Is there a quick/easy way to get one online, or do I need to find a class somewhere? I thought I remembered something about a TX class that was 100% online, but not sure.

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    I may be OK, not sure yet. I THINK I remember taking the class with a buddy of mine who needed it about 30 years ago, but not positive. I talked to MD DNR and they keep records forever, they are sending me a link so I can search to see if I have the course recorded... if it is there I am OK, otherwise I will need to do the tx route or something else.

my IWLA offers if but very limited times.

edit: my buddy just confirmed that he and I took the course maybe 35 years ago, he needed it and I took it with him for moral support. fingers crossed now that my info is still on file from the dark ages...lol.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    No , Md does not have the Hunter Safety records forever, they only have records back to when HS was made mandatory in 1977 .

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    No , Md does not have the Hunter Safety records forever, they only have records back to when HS was made mandatory in 1977 .

my buddy is pretty sure we took it in 85 or 86. he was new to hunting and had to take the course so I went with him and took at the same time even tho I didn't require it. I have sent the request off to DNR to see if they have it on file or not. fingers crossed it pans out...

fscwi

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2012
    I may be OK, not sure yet. I THINK I remember taking the class with a buddy of mine who needed it about 30 years ago, but not positive. I talked to MD DNR and they keep records forever, they are sending me a link so I can search to see if I have the course recorded... if it is there I am OK, otherwise I will need to do the tx route or something else.

my IWLA offers if but very limited times.

edit: my buddy just confirmed that he and I took the course maybe 35 years ago, he needed it and I took it with him for moral support. fingers crossed now that my info is still on file from the dark ages...lol.

BCC IWLA is having the training this weekend.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    long story short, going hog/deer hunting in NC in November. I am 63 and have hunted off/on all my life. Never needed the MD class cause I held license prior to 1977 or whatever it was. I need the hunter ed class to be able to get a non-resident NC license.

Is there a quick/easy way to get one online, or do I need to find a class somewhere? I thought I remembered something about a TX class that was 100% online, but not sure.

I took the TX online only class and mine went through no problem. At the time it was $18 but I believe it is now $28 - still worth it IMO.

MD HQL requirements states that any DNR approved course is good to go. Since TX offers an online only option, that is all you will need. My HQL went through successfully this way back in January 2019.

Once you submit your app, expect about a 2.5 week turnaround time until the HQL is in your mailbox.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    I took the TX online only class and mine went through no problem. At the time it was $18 but I believe it is now $28 - still worth it IMO.

MD HQL requirements states that any DNR approved course is good to go. Since TX offers an online only option, that is all you will need. My HQL went through successfully this way back in January 2019.

Once you submit your app, expect about a 2.5 week turnaround time until the HQL is in your mailbox.

He doesn't want it for the HQL.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    OK, re-read the first post .
    Every State recognizes every other state's HS , so will work for that also .( I want to include Canada alsob but would have to double check .)

For actual youths and rookies , I always recommend the full in person classwork . The access to pick the brains of the staff, and the other students and parents thereof is great learning experience .

But for people like the OP with lots of actual hunting experience, who just needs a piece of paper for administrative reasons , the simplier, the better.

Heck, I need to eventually take the time to get a Texas piece of paper, as my Md HS predates the recordkeeping , and the 1974 wall certificate is long since lost .

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Heck, I need to eventually take the time to get a Texas piece of paper, as my Md HS predates the recordkeeping , and the 1974 wall certificate is long since lost .

Can't you just sign the affidavit, that says you had a hunting license prior to 1977, and don't need no stinking papers. :)

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    OK, re-read the first post .
    Every State recognizes every other state's HS , so will work for that also .( I want to include Canada alsob but would have to double check .)

For actual youths and rookies , I always recommend the full in person classwork . The access to pick the brains of the staff, and the other students and parents thereof is great learning experience .

But for people like the OP with lots of actual hunting experience, who just needs a piece of paper for administrative reasons , the simplier, the better.

A safety refresher never hurts.

Especially for anybody Iin the over 50 age group. Some things we learned long ago, hurt us more, than helps us.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yes , for Md and Va , just sign the affidavit . Some other states, and some specific hunts/ areas/ drawings , etc require actual HS .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom