How long is the wait to get the C&R license now?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    Please remind me, gentlemen... Do I need to initiate renewal myself or will they send me renewal forms at the appropriate time? Mine runs out at the end of the year, so I'm not sure when I should start the process. I want to say that during the last cycle, they sent me forms, but my recollection is a bit hazy on the matter.

Mine expires in 5 months. The last time that I renewed, I did it 45 days early. This time I will probably start the renewal process 3 months early. That is only because I have 2 NFA transfers on my C&R in process right now and don't want to risk them getting them messed up.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    They send you the renewal application

Mine expires in 5 months. The last time that I renewed, I did it 45 days early. This time I will probably start the renewal process 3 months early. That is only because I have 2 NFA transfers on my C&R in process right now and don't want to risk them getting them messed up.

Thanks, gents. :thumbsup:

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    If you wait for the forms, it guarantees that you don't lapse in coverage. If there is a delay in processing or printing your renewal license, they give you a provisional one to cover you.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    For change of address, any ideas on how long to process and/or lead time? My COA is likely going to overlap where I have both houses for a couple to a few weeks. I don’t really have any C&R purchase plans anytime soon. Just curious.

Thinking of starting a Form 4 for my first suppressor. But that’ll wait till I’ve moved.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    For change of address, any ideas on how long to process and/or lead time? My COA is likely going to overlap where I have both houses for a couple to a few weeks. I don’t really have any C&R purchase plans anytime soon. Just curious.

Thinking of starting a Form 4 for my first suppressor. But that’ll wait till I’ve moved.

Took 2 weeks when I did it, but that was 6 years ago.

BrewDoc_MD

Piss off, ghost!
    Apr 25, 2012
    Myersville, MD
    Mine expires in early July, they sent the renewal letter at the beginning of March. I sent it back with a check last week and it just posted. They seem to be on top of things at this point.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Mine expires in early July, they sent the renewal letter at the beginning of March. I sent it back with a check last week and it just posted. They seem to be on top of things at this point.

They always cans the check fast. It took a week for them to cash my check for my original and then 6 weeks after that to get my license.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    They always cans the check fast. It took a week for them to cash my check for my original and then 6 weeks after that to get my license.

Checks always take longer than CC authorizations. They have to cash it, and then wait the 2 or so weeks for it to truly clear before they even begin to start processing. With a CC authorization, they can recoup lost time and money by filing a claim.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    My renewal (with check) took almost exactly 45 days. It's always a good idea to get the renewal in the mail as soon as you get the paperwork.

Striknine

Jan 19, 2013
    Sent in renewal 56 days ago and haven’t received the paperwork yet. I even checked the Letter of Authorization box to receive a LOA but nothing so far. Anyone else have to wait this long for a renewal?

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Sent in renewal 56 days ago and haven’t received the paperwork yet. I even checked the Letter of Authorization box to receive a LOA but nothing so far. Anyone else have to wait this long for a renewal?

You do realize that ATF monitors this forum, and when you ask about why it's taking so long they send it the next day...

:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom