• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    I guess it depends on what you are looking for. If I recall there was some speculation in the past that while they are original, they are welded receivers (ie they were once cut for decommission). That said, if you want something as close to new as you can get, this is likely it. New stock, barrel, park finish, ect. I have several 1903s and they are all GI issue in good shape and didn't pay near that for any of them. But I got them more for the history then looking for them to be tack drivers.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I think if you were patient you could get something better, maybe a little sweaty but in the original finish for probably less.

Are these Gibbs or JRA guns which I thought were rebuild VFW guns. Still could make a great shooter but little to no collector value.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    If they're from Gibbs like they were in the past, they'll be restored drill rifles. You can find them on the second hand market for a lot less since drill rifle restorations are cheap.

You can get a non-drill rifle 03A3 with the original barrel for $600-800 generally. You can get a Minelli C stock from Brownells for about $200 if you want one for shooting.

I guess it depends on what you are looking for. If I recall there was some speculation in the past that while they are original, they are welded receivers (ie they were once cut for decommission). That said, if you want something as close to new as you can get, this is likely it. New stock, barrel, park finish, ect. I have several 1903s and they are all GI issue in good shape and didn't pay near that for any of them. But I got them more for the history then looking for them to be tack drivers.

Drill rifles weren't cut. They had the barrel welded to the receiver at the bottom of the receiver ring and the cutoff welded. The CMP sold a lot of those off in bulk for very cheap after they got recalled from JROTC use. A few vendors bought them to salvage receivers and whatever other parts were usable.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Yeah, I would stay away from these. One of the IP's had one on their wall for less and it looked to be in good condition. I think it was Engage.

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    Ken you are right. I bet I was thinking of the Garands I read about that were rewelds.

The drill rifles that they recovered and rebuilt used to go for 7 or 800 I thought. I guess they have gone up. I think someone would be hard pressed to easily buy a burned out 03 and build one up to this condition as a shooter for this kind of money if you include your time, so I guess it is an OK value. I year or 3 ago there was one of these that got handed around the classifieds. Not sure why the turn over, but I saw what I'm pretty sure was the same one pop up a few times over a year or so period. I agree with others here, shop around and I bet you can get an original GI or one of these used cheaper.

If they're from Gibbs like they were in the past, they'll be restored drill rifles. You can find them on the second hand market for a lot less since drill rifle restorations are cheap.

You can get a non-drill rifle 03A3 with the original barrel for $600-800 generally. You can get a Minelli C stock from Brownells for about $200 if you want one for shooting.

Drill rifles weren't cut. They had the barrel welded to the receiver at the bottom of the receiver ring and the cutoff welded. The CMP sold a lot of those off in bulk for very cheap after they got recalled from JROTC use. A few vendors bought them to salvage receivers and whatever other parts were usable.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Especially since they're sold out now...

This Smith-Corona arsenal re-work looks pretty nice (caveat that I don't know much about these), for a little less + a bulletproof guarantee:
    https://www.legacy-collectibles.com/new-items/08287-1903-a3-smith-corona.html

That's actually not bad. I bough a rearsenaled SC off Mexican Bob on here and it was nearly unfired, forget what I paid but it wasn't far off that. The rearsenaled guns at the end of the war almost always have nearly new barrels and bores.

Smith Corona's have a neat history.

capt14k

Jul 27, 2015
    They were available again? I thought they have been sold out forever?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Get one at Chantilly. Look for a guy near the front. Ruger's Lugers.

If he does not have what you want, tell him and he will let you know when he gets one.

capt14k

Jul 27, 2015
    Get one at Chantilly. Look for a guy near the front. Ruger's Lugers.

If he does not have what you want, tell him and he will let you know when he gets one.
    I really need to go to this Chantilly show I keep hearing about.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom