• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Cool rifles. I've always wondered about the M59/66 rifles with the blonde, dry stocks. I got one from Wideners back in about 2012.

I have a truly unissued one from SOG, with the log book to prove it, and those stocks were finished. Hopefully someone who knows will chime in, but I have suspected that the ones in blonde stocks were possibly refurbs?

I use my blonde one as a shooter and the one with the log book stays in the back of the safe. I need to get to work on the blonde one, the trigger doesn't reset half the time.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Cool rifles. I've always wondered about the M59/66 rifles with the blonde, dry stocks. I got one from Wideners back in about 2012.

I have a truly unissued one from SOG, with the log book to prove it, and those stocks were finished. Hopefully someone who knows will chime in, but I have suspected that the ones in blonde stocks were possibly refurbs?

I use my blonde one as a shooter and the one with the log book stays in the back of the safe. I need to get to work on the blonde one, the trigger doesn't reset half the time.

I'm the same way, ordinarily I would say "sanded" like some of the "unissued" Enfields, Hakims or Rasheeds etc. In this case (or similar rifles I have seen) it doesn't add up, no sign of wear anywhere. Not rare by any standard I remember seeing these guns being sold all over the place 5 or 6 years ago, but not common these days.

For what I got both of them for I cant complain.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    A couple years ago, I played the "SAMCO 7.62 Spanish Mauser" LOTTO and I lost... Mine is just a mess. I tried to return it but had no luck calling SAMCO and they kept giving me the run-around through email. Several times they told me "We promise we sent you a prepaid shipping label" Never got it.... Gave up.

I have always been a bit bummed because I like the idea of the rifle, just didn't get a decent example. I've always kept my eye out for a good example, but promised myself I wouldn't spend more than a certain amount.

Last night I was checking the gunboards trader and scored this guy for 150 bucks. All matching, with crest, nice bore and bluing, solid stock. In 7.62 NATO

Attachments

• span1.jpg
      span1.jpg
      33.6 KB · Views: 515
    • span2.jpg
      span2.jpg
      35.6 KB · Views: 503
    • span3.jpg
      span3.jpg
      48.4 KB · Views: 507

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    A couple years ago, I played the "SAMCO 7.62 Spanish Mauser" LOTTO and I lost... Mine is just a mess. I tried to return it but had no luck calling SAMCO and they kept giving me the run-around through email. Several times they told me "We promise we sent you a prepaid shipping label" Never got it.... Gave up.

I have always been a bit bummed because I like the idea of the rifle, just didn't get a decent example. I've always kept my eye out for a good example, but promised myself I wouldn't spend more than a certain amount.

Last night I was checking the gunboards trader and scored this guy for 150 bucks. All matching, with crest, nice bore and bluing, solid stock. In 7.62 NATO

Love the crest on that.

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    Saw someone with your ID over there had picked that up and was wondering if that was you. Nice pick up. These have always intrigued me as well and saw this one over there just after it looked like you picked it up. Glad to see a MDSHOOTER got it!

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Saw someone with your ID over there had picked that up and was wondering if that was you. Nice pick up. These have always intrigued me as well and saw this one over there just after it looked like you picked it up. Glad to see a MDSHOOTER got it!

Yeah I got lucky and snagged it quick. I love the GB trader....seems like there's at least one really killer deal there every day.

Today some guy was selling 54r heavy ball spam cans for 83 bucks a pop

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    What is GB Trader?

Gunboards.com

Very active Trader section. I've found some great deals there too! Sometimes you have to be VERY quick on the trigger though, seems like at any given time of the day it's not unusual for 100+ people to be viewing the Trader boards there (205 viewing right now at 9:00PM).

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    It followed me home today. Can I keep it?!?!

Savage 1907 .32ACP (Gah is that stuff expensive!) Second series with the gutta percha grips, knurled safety lever, and the pinky mag release instead of the ring-finger one. really nice shape, very little exterior wear with no re-blue or anything. Nice patina to the trigger, mag release, and striker rod.

I doubt she had ever actually been cleaned before. Took patch after patch down the bore to even get it to start looking clean, but once I ran a bunch and brushed it as well, the rifling showed strong with plenty of life left on it.

Really looking forward to shooting it next weekend!

Attachments

• 20170423_202953.jpg
      20170423_202953.jpg
      51.9 KB · Views: 442
    • 20170423_203029.jpg
      20170423_203029.jpg
      52.3 KB · Views: 435

JTH20

Feb 18, 2013
    MD

Savage 1907 .32ACP (Gah is that stuff expensive!) Second series with the gutta percha grips, knurled safety lever, and the pinky mag release instead of the ring-finger one. really nice shape, very little exterior wear with no re-blue or anything. Nice patina to the trigger, mag release, and striker rod.

I doubt she had ever actually been cleaned before. Took patch after patch down the bore to even get it to start looking clean, but once I ran a bunch and brushed it as well, the rifling showed strong with plenty of life left on it.

Did you pick that up at Chantilly?

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo

NICE, I have a thang for pre WWII 32 pocket pistols

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Did you pick that up at Chantilly?

Yep. Got it for $100 under sticker which put it right at what current "concluded" auctions are going on GunBroker for similar specimens. The booth I bought from had a $75-off everything coupon they broke out as the day wore on and then they haggled down a hair more.

That tells me 2 things.

1) Sticker was high, especially high for a show. They went in with inflated prices knowing they could cut the price by $75 at least and still make a decent profit on everything they put out there.

2) This was the least expensive 1907 in the show on Sunday even BEFORE the price break, and I walked away with it at current GB auction sold prices. That means EVERYONE else in the show were REALLY gouging customers.

I saw Batavia SxS 24" hammerless that another table (same one that had a Remington Mod. 81) had that caught my eye. They wanted $400 (too much to start with) and it had a very visible dent in the left barrel. Visible enough that when I broke the action and looked down the bore, you could see it went all the way into the cylinder which is baaaad juju. Should have been priced at sub $100 in that condition as it'll cost the buyer a good chunk of cash to have a smith work the dent out, and that's IF it's even possible without wrecking the functionality.

During the panic, I'd have expected these kinds of prices. But now? Sorry, but the "Classic Firearms" business model isn't a good one, and way too many people are trying to use it.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    NICE, I have a thang for pre WWII 32 pocket pistols

Yeah, I decided I needed a little art-deco in my life. I'd have taken an Ortgies as well, but couldn't find one for less than $500 for a .25ACP version. Most were in the same condition as the one Engage had in their cabinet a few weeks back and they only wanted $175 for it.

JTH20

Feb 18, 2013
    MD
    Yep. Got it for $100 under sticker which put it right at what current "concluded" auctions are going on GunBroker for similar specimens. The booth I bought from had a $75-off everything coupon they broke out as the day wore on and then they haggled down a hair more.

That tells me 2 things.

1) Sticker was high, especially high for a show. They went in with inflated prices knowing they could cut the price by $75 at least and still make a decent profit on everything they put out there.

2) This was the least expensive 1907 in the show on Sunday even BEFORE the price break, and I walked away with it at current GB auction sold prices. That means EVERYONE else in the show were REALLY gouging customers.

I saw Batavia SxS 24" hammerless that another table (same one that had a Remington Mod. 81) had that caught my eye. They wanted $400 (too much to start with) and it had a very visible dent in the left barrel. Visible enough that when I broke the action and looked down the bore, you could see it went all the way into the cylinder which is baaaad juju. Should have been priced at sub $100 in that condition as it'll cost the buyer a good chunk of cash to have a smith work the dent out, and that's IF it's even possible without wrecking the functionality.

During the panic, I'd have expected these kinds of prices. But now? Sorry, but the "Classic Firearms" business model isn't a good one, and way too many people are trying to use it.

That was a very nice 1907. I thought it was over priced initially but I think you got it for more than a fair price, especially considering the condition.

I noticed quite a lot of overpriced C&R at that show, especially pistols. I was looking for a 50's post war P38 to go with my 50's Makarov, and I did not find a single one for a reasonable price. I don't think dealers have realized they need to drop prices now that the panic is over.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    That was a very nice 1907. I thought it was over priced initially but I think you got it for more than a fair price, especially considering the condition.

I noticed quite a lot of overpriced C&R at that show, especially pistols. I was looking for a 50's post war P38 to go with my 50's Makarov, and I did not find a single one for a reasonable price. I don't think dealers have realized they need to drop prices now that the panic is over.

I'm pretty happy with it given the price. I was amazed that it, with nearly 100% intact bluing, was priced the same as the one above it which showed obvious signs on wear. Took damned near 30 patches to get the bore clean-ish, but now that it is, the rifling looks good and strong.

My guess is that a lot of them are stuck with stock that they paid too much for and rather than cut their losses and get reasonable capital back out of their inventory, they'll just keep trotting them out at every show until they either go under, or find some rube to buy the stuff at that price.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    My guess is that a lot of them are stuck with stock that they paid too much for and rather than cut their losses and get reasonable capital back out of their inventory, they'll just keep trotting them out at every show until they either go under, or find some rube to buy the stuff at that price.
    I think this describes the situation pretty accurately. Which explains the massive price difference on milsurps between great IPs like Hafer's and . . . Classic.

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Chester
    I recently picked up an almost C&R Colt Woodsman (1969.) I now have more 22LR guns compared to any other calibre.

i-GPBPwp9-L.jpg

i-QMHNQFV-L.jpg

i-C65c9Md-L.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom