• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 50bmg

Sep 24, 2011
    Towson, MD
    Been in MD for less than two years and most of the people I know neither hunt or even own a gun. WHile I'm the total opposite, I'm looking for a local group of guys that go deer hunting that wouldn't mind if I joined them for the 2012 hunting season.

oupa

Apr 6, 2011
    One problem I see is that in Maryland (The Free State) most "good hunting" is for a fee. That said, now is a good time to shop for a club / lease.
    Maryland also is blessed with a huge amount of public hunting land (for it's size) and while the hunting can be hit or miss, scouting can make an enormous difference in your chances for success. If you're able to hunt week days you'll have many of these places almost to yourself.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    I think you'd be best served by trying to get to know some folks who have access to land either private or a hunting lease. This may be a starting point, but I don't think anyone is gonna jump on here and give you a sweet hunting setup without getting to know you first.

If you bowhunt, you may find landowners in Maryland with small tracts where you can hunt. But nowadays land-owners are risking a lot to allow anyone on their property, so it can be very tough.

Some places to try are orchards (not many left), private land with small orchards (again, not too many left), nurseries, dairy farms, and anyone who may have nuisance deer with enough land to legally hunt (paying in mind legal distance from dwellings, roads, etc.)

If you don't mind hoofing it, Liberty and Loch Raven Reservoirs can offer very good public bowhunting.

I wish you luck.

Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    I've hunted in the Frederick watershed and my friend hunts just out side those limits and there are tons of deer if u find a good spot. I've just spent a couple days out of season sitting up there and I've seen a lot

AV8OR

Jan 22, 2010
    MD sure is different. Where I come from (WV), if you didnt hunt or own a gun you got weird looks. Now its the total opposite. I hate it.

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    Justin nailed it, you gotta do some leg work. I know its worth a shot to create a thread on the internet, but most people have buddies waiting in line before they would give a stranger priority.

Call the DNR and tell them to put you on the list for the Eastern Neck Island hunt. They hold multiple hunts a year.

As stated there are a ton of state properties around. Try and find someone who hunts those and tag along or get a map and go on your own.

As for clubs, some are out there, but you usually need to really know somebody to get into one.

Look up Blackwater Wildlife Refuge in Dorchester, lots of public land down there. Find a friend or make one when you go down there. Hunting with 2 down there in the swamp is best.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Not sure what you are looking to hunt for. A good way to get access to private property, is to offer farmhand help. Farmers are always short handed, if they see you are responsible, I almost guarantee, they will let you hunt there property. Some will even let you hunt without doing work for them, if you ask properly. Also even offering to pay for access. If you do get land owners permission - remember to get it in writing, and carry it with you when you hunt (state law) I would suggest looking into getting permission now, and during the Summer, instead of last minute in the Fall.

Up here in Garrett CO- everyone hunts, or owns guns. You'd be hard pressed to find a home with no guns. People walk down the roads with rifles, strapped to there backs - they get a wave from passerbys instead of the cops called on them. Its a different world - which is why I left the central part of the state years ago. We have good hunting up here - lots of turkey, deer, and varmints. It is rifle country - long range shots, are pretty common. There is plenty of public land, with far less people then the central part of the state.

As far as the Fredrick watershed - good luck during deer firearms season. The woods is nothing but a sea of orange colored hunters. I would never hunt there again during rifle season. When I hunted there - the deer where both scarce, or small. The surrounding farmlands however - has better class deer, with less people. But that would involve getting land owners permission.

As far as hunt clubs / reserves - Id personally rather hunt animals that are wild, and not stocked lame animals. I dont get canned hunting one bit. Gazzelles, and Blesboke, are not indeginous to Maryland & Pa.

redrumtc

Dec 10, 2008
    howard co
    I'm willing to help you out but with the new baby I will be hit or miss all my land is around greenspring valley and I will let bow hunting on the land . Pm if interested

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom