• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    2A, should the first to take be the lead doe? Is she often the biggest doe, or is there some way to figure out which she is? I'd think taking out the matriarch would get the rest confused and they will stick with habit rather than start new patterns.

There was this huge doe last winter, but she was kinda stupid. She had 1 fawn with her all the time. She would sometimes seperate from the rest with her fawn and come more into the open, while the other deer would hold back in more cover.

Saw the group again today bedding and standing near the driveway, but too many bedded and blending to count. 1 looked buck-ish, probably a nice healthy button buck ready for his first rack to grow, as I didn't see "look at me!" sized pedicals.

xtreme43s10

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2007
    maryland, in Mont county
    How do you usually hunt deer and how sucessful have you been lately?

I am contemplating using a blind for crossbow hunting this year in central

MD and didn't know if I could pull it off on public land coming in and out

each day. Would they spook if the blind wasn't in area for a while?

Also, I am thinking of trying Predator camo when hunting out of my

treestand to see if it breaks my outline any better.

I mostly bow hunt, I've killed lots of deer,from the ground,treestands and blinds.

this one was from a treestand this year

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=43350

This one was on the ground with my bow this year no blind just sitting on the ground.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=46336

Don't get to caught up on camo, try to find a pattern that blends in. but more importantly sit still. your movement will give you away well before your camo ever does. Watch the wind, and how you approach where you want to hunt. The buck I shot on the ground I was still in my work clothes and just threw a camo shirt on. but played the wind and sat still. If I do set a ground blind up I try to blend it in as best as possible, but don't be scared to try and use what's already out there.

I shot a 130"+ buck a couple years ago on the ground with my bow sitting in the top of a blown over tree.

Advantages of using a tree stand are you can get out the deer's line of sight, which would be more forgiving for your movements, also your scent would be higher up which can help you at times as well.

2A forever

Oct 25, 2008
    Sykesville,Carroll Cty.
    2A, should the first to take be the lead doe? Is she often the biggest doe, or is there some way to figure out which she is? I'd think taking out the matriarch would get the rest confused and they will stick with habit rather than start new patterns.

There was this huge doe last winter, but she was kinda stupid. She had 1 fawn with her all the time. She would sometimes seperate from the rest with her fawn and come more into the open, while the other deer would hold back in more cover.

Saw the group again today bedding and standing near the driveway, but too many bedded and blending to count. 1 looked buck-ish, probably a nice healthy button buck ready for his first rack to grow, as I didn't see "look at me!" sized pedicals.

Don't know about confusing them,but biggest doe can also be the toughest,nastiest, 6 year old piece of meat to cook as well.

I was referring to if you could single one out from the bunch somehow and not get "busted" by the rest getting out. You may have to stay on stand longer than you want and hope something else busts them out of the area. If you get spotted early it could be game over for the spot.

The does run in family groups , so you are gonna get busted if it is a whole group instead of 2 or 3.

Last edited:

Dantheman

Jan 26, 2011
    I've killed about 13 deer so far. 7 with the bow and the rest with a gun. I've only killed 2 deer from a treestand. Mostly because ive had several occasions where once I got set up someone came walking through. So if im hunting public land, like I do 98% of the time. I either still hunt into the wind or set up a ground blind with natural materials and burlap material. It takes some practice but onece you get good at it you cant even notice the blind.

Ive had alot of exciting hunts from a brushed in ground blind.

Charybdis69

May 20, 2008
    Takoma Park, MD
    If you can leave it out overnight, the deer may get used to them. Also, spray it down w/ a scent blocker. Some of those things smell, even for human noses. This season I was bowhunting w/ a buddy, and three deer were walking right towards his ground blind. The lead doe stopped dead in her tracks about 30 yards away, snorted and bolted. The other two followed. I was behind a tree in mid draw. Something gave him away.

I've shot at two deer from a tree stand this season and seen many, many more from a tree stand. It's my preference. If you get up 20 or so feet, your scent scatters a little more. Also, they're generally not looking up at trees, but once they see you, they'll know where you are. Also, keep in mind that your shot from a tree stand will be a little longer.

Don't get married to one way or the other. Sitting in a stand all day gets old, especially when it's cold. If you can get down and still stalk, go for it. I find if you move around 3 times or so in a day, you see much more deer. I still need a lot more practice w/ a bow - I shot at three deer this past season and nothing in my freezer to show for it. :(

adjusterr

Mar 28, 2011
    Indian Springs, Western MD
    I have two ladder stands and a permanent ground bllind set up in PA, I also used a pop up blind in WV the past two years. I am selling the pop up, entirely to many blacked out areas. The pop up is nice if it starts to rain and it does block the wind but I have to move around too much to look out of the windows. I'm getting too old to be climbing up in ladder stands so they will also be sold. My ground blind is made of logs, lined with in/outdoor carpet. I put a lodge pole up so I can quickly throw a camo tarp over it in case of rain or snow. I think comfort is important as I can stay out all day, seated in a comfortable folding chair, the longer you are in the woods the better your chances. This year it paid off with a 160 dressed nine point. Good luck.

Attachments

• BIG BUCK 20103.jpg
      BIG BUCK 20103.jpg
      142.2 KB · Views: 69
    • bonnevill & home 016.jpg
      bonnevill & home 016.jpg
      138 KB · Views: 63

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members