• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Snip

Due to the possibility of this thread impacting legislation, the original post has been removed

Last edited:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Wanted to ask the brain trust:

I was thinking of building an AR, a glorious AR, one that pushes the outer limits of legality (but is, of course, still legal)

NOTE:. This is ALL hypothetical. No such firearm exists....yet

Given: a stripped, unbuilt pre-2013 lower that can be built as a pistol or rifle but has never been built as either.

AND

A binary trigger purchased before the ban, with an email from the ATF confirming that I applied for registration (valid for possession until OCT 2019).

Side note: where are we on the binary trigger ban litigation?

Idea:. Ares defense/fightlight industries belt fed upper with 11" hybrid heavy/GI profile barrel

Forearm brace

VFG

Fostech echo.

Muzzle brake w/o flash hider

My thoughts:. Barrel profile does not apply because it is a pistol

Barrel length does not apply because it is a pistol

OAL is >26" with brace extended so a VFG is legal

Feeding mechanism is irrelevant as there is no law stating that a semi-automatic pistol cannot be belt fed

Magazine capacity is irrelevant so long as ammo belts are loaded to 11 rounds out of state AND are not shot below 11 rounds. (It is irrelevant whether an ammunition feeding device holds 11 or 200 rounds. )

Binary trigger is legal until October.

What are your thoughts? This is meant to be a raised middle finger at arbritary firearm laws (but still be legal and not subject to NFA or state restrictions)

Thanks in advance for the feedback, and freedom on!

Mods:if this is wrong forum, please move

I recon that would depend on the true point to this post.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

I was thinking of building an AR, a glorious AR, one that pushes the outer limits of legality (but is, of course, still legal)

Given: a stripped, unbuilt pre-2013 lower that can be built as a pistol or rifle but has never been built as either.

AND

A binary trigger purchased before the ban, with an email from the ATF confirming that I applied for registration (valid for possession until OCT 2019).

Idea:. Ares defense/fightlight industries belt fed upper with 11" hybrid heavy/GI profile barrel

Forearm brace

VFG

Fostech echo.

Feeding mechanism is irrelevant as there is no law stating that a semi-automatic pistol cannot be belt fed

Magazine capacity is irrelevant so long as ammo belts are loaded to 11 rounds out of state AND are not shot below 11 rounds. (It is irrelevant whether an ammunition feeding device holds 11 or 200 rounds. )

What are your thoughts? This is meant to be a raised middle finger at arbritary firearm laws (but still be legal and not subject to NFA or state restrictions)

BC it is pre-ban and yet to be built.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Attachments

• lures.jpg
      lures.jpg
      61.5 KB · Views: 608

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Can you really not load a belt in state? Where is there a law about that. Doesnt it only apply to mags?

Magazine is defined as "an ammunition feeding device that can be removed from a firearm without disassembly or use of a tool" (from the firearms safety act of 2013)

So yes. A belt of ammo counts as a magazine. If you link 11 rounds together in MD you have constructed a high capacity magazine. However, possession is not illegal. And there is no delineation between a an 11 round "magazine" and a 200 round "magazine"

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

AND

Forearm brace

VFG

Fostech echo.

Magazine capacity is irrelevant so long as ammo belts are loaded to 11 rounds out of state. (It is irrelevant whether an ammunition feeding device holds 11 or 200 rounds. )

because the barrel profile law only applies to RIFLES

Nor does it apply to pre-banned AR 15 lowers. You can put any barrel profile you want on there, as long as YOU owned it prior to 1 October 2013

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Magazine is defined as "an ammunition feeding device that can be removed from a firearm without disassembly or use of a tool" (from the firearms safety act of 2013)

So yes. A belt of ammo counts as a magazine. If you link 11 rounds together in MD you have constructed a high capacity magazine. However, possession is not illegal. And there is no delineation between a an 11 round "magazine" and a 200 round "magazine"

Well thats retarded

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide

Fascinating. Only 5.56mm belt-feds I’ve shot are the M249 SAW and Mk46. Are there any that use belts that don’t de-link as your fire them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom