• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I'm glad Larry found a pair in his sock drawer, but MSP LD is sending everyone to OAH anyway, so it's effectively just another delay on the road to infringement.

Had he done something to keep OAH out of the loop, that would have been a worthwhile effort. But I doubt the MDGA would have let him get away with it.

He was pressured into it by The Republicans in the GA. If his intention was to veto it from the start he would have announced his intentions and vetoed it before the ink was dry..

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    If he had vetoed before the special session to elect a new House Speaker, they would have been able to override the veto in the SS. This way they can't override until January.

(Why did they even need a Speaker when the GA won't be in session until next year? As I understant it, they will elect a new Speaker when the session starts, anyway.)

Last edited:

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I suspect he delayed the veto until well after the MDGA held its special session to appoint the new Speaker. They would have delighted in the opportunity to slap him down with an override at the same time they appointed the new overseer of the Memory Hole.

I believe he can appoint HPRB members in the interim. They will be tossed out in the trash when the next session convenes, but they can act in the meantime.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    How about a board with all Patriot Picket board members.:D

Would it even make a difference? Every single decision handed down by the Patriotic HPRB would be appealed by MSP to OAH. All the HPRB hearing does is add additional delay to the process.

If MSP wasn't appealing every decision against it to OAH, then the HPRB would be significant.

Was the HPRB ever the final say on CCW permits, where there was no appeal to OAH or the Circuit Court? If so, then the HPRB had some teeth. As it is right now, it is merely a symbol with no bite at all.

dad4

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2013
    Cecil County
    Hogan looked at the data and determined he would garner a couple more percent of support in his quest to become President in 2020.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Would it even make a difference? Every single decision handed down by the Patriotic HPRB would be appealed by MSP to OAH. All the HPRB hearing does is add additional delay to the process.

If MSP wasn't appealing every decision against it to OAH, then the HPRB would be significant.

Was the HPRB ever the final say on CCW permits, where there was no appeal to OAH or the Circuit Court? If so, then the HPRB had some teeth. As it is right now, it is merely a symbol with no bite at all.

Since it is all about symbols I would hope the Patriot Picket board members would all wear their "We Will Not Comply" shirts to every meeting. And maybe have a aircraft circling overhead while in session.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    I suspect he delayed the veto until well after the MDGA held its special session to appoint the new Speaker. They would have delighted in the opportunity to slap him down with an override at the same time they appointed the new overseer of the Memory Hole.

I believe he can appoint HPRB members in the interim. They will be tossed out in the trash when the next session convenes, but they can act in the meantime.
    This is how I understand things too.

And I'd like to think the override is not a given. If we make enough noise and with the disruption caused by the leadership change, maybe we can make it not worth the squeeze.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    In a way, I think the HPRB removal attempt, and the installation of the OAH "reversal machine" will eventually play out as a demonstration of Maryland's bad faith in the G&S issue. Ugly now, but it could well work in our favor once SCOTUS makes a move toward restoration of an enumerated right.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    If the HPRB removes restrictions and MSP send you to OAH, can they rule against a permit being issued at all? Fresh may want payback for this veto in some fashion, he’s like that.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    He was pressured into it by The Republicans in the GA. If his intention was to veto it from the start he would have announced his intentions and vetoed it before the ink was dry..

Not true. If he vetoed it immediately, it would’ve been overridden in the special session. Because he waited, it can’t be dealt with until January.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F5guy

Mar 27, 2013
    Annapolis
    Is my understanding that MSP could appeal any previous HPRB rulings to the courts but rarely did? What makes people think they’ll start appealing decisions now ?

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Is my understanding that MSP could appeal any previous HPRB rulings to the courts but rarely did? What makes people think they’ll start appealing decisions now ?

Until the law changed and gave them the runner-stamp route through the OAH, the court they’d have had to go to would have been much farther up the food chain. For more expensive and time consuming.

We think they’ll start challenging most/all HPRB spankings because they SAID they would. Alas.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    This is how I understand things too.

And I'd like to think the override is not a given. If we make enough noise and with the disruption caused by the leadership change, maybe we can make it not worth the squeeze.

This is exactly what I proposed a few days ago. If we keep the pressure on until January we may have a chance of an actual successful veto.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊

Because the court would look at the totality of the documentation, including the HPRB testimony and decision. The OAH tosses everything out, which favors the MSP LD denial immensely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom