• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Old Salt

Nov 27, 2007
    Bel Air
    Just finished removing the firing pin block system from my Series 80 Colt Gold Cup. I filled the resulting gap with a conversion shim that is available from TJ's Custom Gunworks. It dramatically improved the trigger. Only question I have is, did I make my pistol "unsafe". I can't believe that I did since the Series 70 pistols are still out there and were never recalled. If so, why the heck did they ever make this modification to the trigger system in the first place?

OMCHamlin

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2017
    The Cumberland Plateau
    It's as safe as any pre-series 80, which was just buggered up by damn lawyers at Colt. That is provided the hammer has a functional half cock notch, and the thumb safety, grip safety and disconnector all still work as designed.

Boats

Beer, Bikes n Boomsticks
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    I didn't have enough time to write last night, but the reason why there is a firing pin safety is because of those weirdos(said jokingly) who carry a 1911 in condition 2 (round chambered, hammer down)

if the gun is dropped, because the hammer is sitting on the firing pin, the chambered round can go off. Most 1911 users know that the best way to carry a 1911 is condition 1 (aka cocked and locked). If that is too scary, carrying on an empty chamber is an option as well, as is carrying a loaded chamber at half-cock.

However, on some 1911s (most, I think) carrying at the half cock means the thumb safety and grip safety are not functional, so I wouldn't recommend that (relying solely on the lack of hammer inertia to not set off a round) Will have to check the collection and function check that

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    The Series 80 system was designed to prevent firing pin inertia from setting off a chambered round if the pistol was dropped. The hammer isn’t considered since it is not a rebounding hammer. There are ways to achieve ‘drop proofing’ a Series 70 ignition system. These methods typically result in a heavier trigger pull. Most tune for a good trigger and prevent dropping their pistol. Additionally, the grip safety is still effective at half cock since the gs blocks trigger bow movement. OP, you didn’t make your pistol unsafe. But you did defeat the “drop proofing” safety feature. That is commonly done. If you or someone else drops the pistol and someone gets hurt then that could be a different circumstance. FWIW, barring 1.5 pound and lower competition triggers, you can get as good a trigger with a Series 80 ignition system as you can with a ‘Series 70’ ignition system without undo difficulty. If you trigger pull was truly bad with the 80 series trigger safety parts then it may have been out of time, etc..

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    ... FWIW, barring 1.5 pound and lower competition triggers, you can get as good a trigger with a Series 80 ignition system as you can with a ‘Series 70’ ignition system without undo difficulty. If you trigger pull was truly bad with the 80 series trigger safety parts then it may have been out of time, etc..

I agree. I own both types and its not the Series 80 parts that make the difference, its the whole chain working together.

ETA: if you can do the conversion, you could have made the Series 80 set up undetectable; same skills, more patience. Its also possible (maybe even likely) for a lot of guns, doing the conversion won't make the trigger any better.

Old Salt

Nov 27, 2007
    Bel Air
    Thanks for all in input. All I can say is the trigger pull seems a lot "crisper" since the conversion. I am pleased with the outcome.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Ruger 1911s are series 70 triggers. They are made drop safe by using a titanium firing pin and strong firing pin return spring.

Not sure about the conversation but you can prolly use the same setup to reduce the chances of an AD if dropped.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    IIRC, the requuired drop for a 1911 is about 4 stories onto the muzzle. That is assuming the proper weight firing pin spring.

Half cock is a back thing, and can mess up the sear mating surface.

Also, in half cock, the sear cannot move, which means the trigger cannot move, because the half cock is a hook.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I thought the test standard was from about 4-5 feet to simulate a dropped pistol. I know they tested some at extreme heights.

Also some model 1911's don't use a captive hook at half cock, they use a shelf to diminish hammer momentum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom