• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    I went individual for mine, I think trusts and other legal entities (corps, etc) are an easy way to land yourself in trouble, especially if you move, while an individual just takes a little extra time but then you're set for life.

pauln

WECSOG Alumnus
    Mar 2, 2007
    Harford Co.
    I did my last one as a trust using Quicken Willmaker. It's simpler than an individual transfer. I never had any problems getting the CLEO signoff, but the trust saves time and the bother of photos & fingerprints.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    So basically with a trust about four or five people can go in on a class III and all of them can use the firearm equally?
    That sounds like a good plan for the expensive full auto.

Balnk

Oct 29, 2008
    Gamber, MD
    Hello all...

I know the thread is "trust or individual", but can I ask about a Corporation?

I own an S-Corp in Maryland for the last 16 years; I am the sole share holder and
    President. Can I have my company purchase a NFA item? What is involved?

Thanks in advance.
    Adam

Maryland_Shooter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 8, 2008
    Glen Arm
    Trust language - already being used in MD:

Declaration of Trust

Part 1. Trust Name
    This revocable living trust shall be known as the Name of your trust Revocable Living Trust.

Part 2. Declaration of Trust
    Your Name, called the grantor, declares that he has transferred and delivered to the trustee all his interest in the property described in Schedule A attached to this Declaration of Trust. All of that property is called the "trust property." The trustee hereby acknowledges receipt of the trust property and agrees to hold the trust property in trust, according to this Declaration of Trust.
    The grantor may add property to the trust.

Part 3. Terminology
    The term "this Declaration of Trust" includes any provisions added by valid amendment.

Part 4. Amendment and Revocation
    A. Amendment or Revocation by Grantor
    The grantor may amend or revoke this trust at any time, without notifying any beneficiary. An amendment must be made in writing and signed by the grantor. Revocation may be in writing or any manner allowed by law.
    B. Amendment or Revocation by Other Person
    The power to revoke or amend this trust is personal to the grantor. A conservator, guardian or other person shall not exercise it on behalf of the grantor, unless the grantor specifically grants a power to revoke or amend this trust in a Durable Power of Attorney.

Part 5. Payments From Trust During Grantor's Lifetime
    The trustee shall pay to or use for the benefit of the grantor as much of the net income and principal of the trust property as the grantor requests. Income shall be paid to the grantor at least annually. Income accruing in or paid to trust accounts shall be deemed to have been paid to the grantor.

Part 6. Trustees
    A. Trustee
    Your name shall be the trustee of this trust.
    B. Trustee's Responsibilities
    The trustee in office shall serve as trustee of all trusts created under this Declaration of Trust, including children's subtrusts.
    C. Terminology
    In this Declaration of Trust, the term "trustee" includes successor trustees or alternate successor trustees serving as trustee of this trust. The singular "trustee" also includes the plural.
    D. Successor Trustee
    Upon the death or incapacity of Your name, the trustee of this trust and of any children's subtrusts created by it shall be Name of secondary trustees. Each successor trustee has full and independent authority to act for and represent the trust. If Name of secondary trustees are unable or unwilling to serve as successor trustee, Name of successor trustees shall serve as trustee. Each of them has full and independent authority to act for and represent the trust.
    E. Resignation of Trustee
    Any trustee in office may resign at any time by signing a notice of resignation. The resignation shall be delivered to the person or institution who is either named in this Declaration of Trust, or appointed by the trustee under Section F of this Part, to next serve as the trustee.
    F. Power to Appoint Successor Trustee
    If no one named in this Declaration of Trust as a successor trustee or alternate successor trustee is willing or able to serve as trustee, the last acting trustee may appoint a successor trustee and may require the posting of a reasonable bond, to be paid for from the trust property. The appointment must be made in writing, signed by the trustee and notarized.
    G. Bond
    No bond shall be required for any trustee named in this Declaration of Trust.
    H. Compensation
    No trustee shall receive any compensation for serving as trustee, unless the trustee serves as a trustee of a child's subtrust created by this Declaration of Trust.
    I. Liability of Trustee
    With respect to the exercise or non-exercise of discretionary powers granted by this Declaration of Trust, the trustee shall not be liable for actions taken in good faith. Such actions shall be binding on all persons interested in the trust property.

Part 7. Trustee's Management Powers and Duties
    A. Powers Under State Law
    The trustee shall have all authority and powers allowed or conferred on a trustee under Maryland law, subject to the trustee's fiduciary duty to the grantors and the beneficiaries.
    B. Specified Powers
    The trustee's powers include, but are not limited to:
    1. The power to sell trust property, and to borrow money and to encumber trust property, including trust real estate, by mortgage, deed of trust or other method.
    2. The power to manage trust real estate as if the trustee were the absolute owner of it, including the power to lease (even if the lease term may extend beyond the period of any trust) or grant options to lease the property, to make repairs or alterations and to insure against loss.
    3. The power to sell or grant options for the sale or exchange of any trust property, including stocks, bonds, debentures and any other form of security or security account, at public or private sale for cash or on credit.
    4. The power to invest trust property in every kind of property and every kind of investment, including but not limited to bonds, debentures, notes, mortgages, stock options, futures and stocks, and including buying on margin.
    5. The power to receive additional property from any source and add it to any trust created by this Declaration of Trust.
    6. The power to employ and pay reasonable fees to accountants, lawyers or investment experts for information or advice relating to the trust.
    7. The power to deposit and hold trust funds in both interest-bearing and non-interest bearing accounts.
    8. The power to deposit funds in bank or other accounts, whether or not they are insured by the FDIC.
    9. The power to enter into electronic fund transfers or safe deposit arrangements with financial institutions.
    10. The power to continue any business of the grantor.
    11. The power to institute or defend legal actions concerning this trust or the grantor's affairs.
    12. The power to execute any documents necessary to administer any trust created by this Declaration of Trust.
    13. The power to diversify investments, including authority to decide that some or all of the trust property need not produce income.

Part 8. Incapacity of Grantor
    If the grantor becomes physically or mentally incapacitated, whether or not a court has declared the grantor incompetent or in need of a conservator or guardian, the successor trustee named in Part 6 shall be trustee.
    The determination of the grantor's capacity to manage this trust shall be made by those of the people listed here who are reasonably available when the successor trustee (or any of them, if two or more are named to serve together) requests their opinion. These people are: Three people you trust that can rule if you are crazy or not. If a majority of them state, in writing, that in their opinion the grantor is no longer reasonably capable of serving as trustee, the successor trustee shall serve as trustee.
    In that event, the trustee shall manage the trust property. The trustee shall use any amount of trust income or trust property necessary for the grantor's proper health care, support, maintenance, comfort and welfare, in accordance with the grantor's accustomed manner of living. Any income not spent for the benefit of the grantor shall be accumulated and added to the trust property. Income shall be paid to the grantor at least annually. Income accruing in or paid to trust accounts shall be deemed to have been paid to the grantor.
    The successor trustee shall manage the trust until the grantor is again able to manage his affairs. The determination of the grantor's capacity to again manage this trust shall be made in the manner specified just above.

Part 9. Death of a Grantor
    When the grantor dies, this trust shall become irrevocable. It may not be amended or altered except as provided for by this Declaration of Trust. It may be terminated only by the distributions authorized by this Declaration of Trust.
    The trustee may pay out of trust property such amounts as necessary for payment of the grantor's debts, estate taxes and expenses of the grantor's last illness and funeral.

Part 10. Beneficiaries
    At the death of the grantor, the trustee shall distribute the trust property as follows:
    1. Person who gets your stuff when you dieshall be given all Your name interest in the trust property. If Person who gets your stuff when you die does not survive Your name, that property shall be given to Backup person who gets your stuff when you die.
    All distributions are subject to any provision in this Declaration of Trust that creates a child's subtrust or a custodianship under the Uniform Transfers to Minors Act.
    A beneficiary must survive the grantor for 120 hours to receive property under this Declaration of Trust. As used in this Declaration of Trust, to survive means to be alive or in existence as an organization.
    All personal and real property left through this trust shall pass subject to any encumbrances or liens placed on the property as security for the repayment of a loan or debt.
    If property is left to two or more beneficiaries to share, they shall share it equally unless this Declaration of Trust provides otherwise. If any of them does not survive the grantor, the others shall take that beneficiary's share, to share equally, unless this Declaration of Trust provides otherwise.

Part 11. Custodianships Under the Uniform Transfers to Minors Act
    1. Any property to which Name of person who gets yor stuff when you die (if under 21) becomes entitled under Part 10 of this Declaration of Trust shall be given to Custodian of trust for those under 21 (I used my wife), as custodian for Name of person who gets your stuff (if under 21) under the Maryland Uniform Transfers to Minors Act, until Name of person who gets your stuff (if under 21) reaches the age of 21. If Custodian of trust for those under 21 (I used my wife) is unable or ceases to serve as custodian, Backup custodian of trust for those under 21 shall serve as custodian.

Part 12. Grantor's Right to Homestead Tax Exemption
    If the grantor's principal residence is held in trust, the grantor has the right to possess and occupy it for life, rent-free and without charge except for taxes, insurance, maintenance and related costs and expenses. This right is intended to give the grantor a beneficial interest in the property and to ensure that the grantor does not lose eligibility for a state homestead tax exemption for which he otherwise qualifies.

Part 13. Severability of Clauses
    If any provision of this Declaration of Trust is ruled unenforceable, the remaining provisions shall stay in effect.

______________________________page break_______________________________________

Certification of Grantor
    I certify that I have read this Declaration of Trust and that it correctly states the terms and conditions under which the trust property is to be held, managed and disposed of by the trustee, and I approve the Declaration of Trust.

_____________________________________Dated: ______________
    Your name, Grantor and Trustee

_____________________________page break______________________________________

CERTIFICATE OF ACKNOWLEDGMENT OF NOTARY PUBLIC

State of Maryland )
    ) ss.
    County of )
    On ____________________, __________ before me, _____________________, a notary public in and for said state, personally appeared Your name, personally known to me (or proved on the basis of satisfactory evidence) to be the person whose name is subscribed to the within instrument, and acknowledged to me that he executed the same in his authorized capacity, and that by his signature on the instrument the person, or the entity upon behalf of which the person acted, executed the instrument.
    WITNESS my hand and official seal.

Notary Public for the State of Maryland
    [NOTARIAL SEAL]My commission expires:

_____________________________page break____________________________________

SCHEDULE A

1. Stuff you put in the trust
    2. Stuff you put in the trust

_____________________________page break_____________________________________

Assignment of Property

I, Your name, as grantor of the Name of the trust Revocable Living Trust dated ____________________, __________, hereby assign and transfer all of my rights, title and interest in the following property:
    1. Stuff you put in the trust
    2. Stuff you put in the trust
    to Your name, as trustee of the Name of trust Revocable Living Trust dated ____________________, __________.

Executed at ____________________, _______________, on ____________________, __________.

frozencesium

BBQ Czar
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 5, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    But who would you trust to have access to your $15k M16 and also expect them to shoot it without you being present?

1) Remember that this is for ANYTHING NFA...thus not just the 15k full auto

2) Active Duty Military and others (like myself) end up having to travel. Without a trust, company, or other legal entity, any NFA weapons or items must be secured in a place where NO ONE can get them but you. Thus, if like me you have to be out of the country for a few months, not even your spouse or other immediate family members (let alone anyone else) can not even take possession or secure said NFA items/weapons while you are away if they are registered to you as an individual.

Granted I am not a lawyer, but that is how I understand the law.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    1) Remember that this is for ANYTHING NFA...thus not just the 15k full auto

2) Active Duty Military and others (like myself) end up having to travel. Without a trust, company, or other legal entity, any NFA weapons or items must be secured in a place where NO ONE can get them but you. Thus, if like me you have to be out of the country for a few months, not even your spouse or other immediate family members (let alone anyone else) can not even take possession or secure said NFA items/weapons while you are away if they are registered to you as an individual.

Granted I am not a lawyer, but that is how I understand the law.
    1) True, but how many of us have a wife, kids or parents that go to the range on their own with our toys? I still have a safe at my parents' house with a part of my collection, they've never asked how to open it or even what's inside.

2) If I were deploying my SBR lower would be stripped and put into an appropiately sized hard case, locked with a padlock and tossed in my safe. Anyone can transport the locked case if the registered owner is the only one with the key.

frozencesium

BBQ Czar
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 5, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    My wife goes to the range...I just try to make sure she isn't taking pictures of me with her :)

I see what you are saying, but for those of us with families, a trust can actually make a deal of sense. If you don't feel the need for a trust, by no means am I trying to sway you, I'm just saying that some of us feel they help.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    If your wife is part of your trust, i believe it makes it easier for her to dispose of your nfa items, in the unfortunate event of your death.

dmgwork

Jan 12, 2009
    NFA trust compared to quicken

In many states there are significant problems with the trusts quicken creates. An approved Form 4 does not mean your trust is valid. If the trust is not valid, you do not have permission to be in possession of the Title II firearm. In addition there are many problems that Quicken and other trust cannot begin to address in regards to the ownership, transfer, and possession of NFA restricted firearms. Many people consider protecting their family and friends in connection with the decision to purchase NFA firearms. A Quicken or standard form trust only deals with the ability to acquire them, and even this is typically a violation of the your duties as a trustee. That being said, if you are the creator and the only trustee, you are the only one who can complain about that while you are alive.

A Trust for NFA purchases should teach an unknown successor trustee how to transfer and deal with the items properly. In addition, it should allow for a trustee to use the items without worrying about creating liability for the beneficiaries. Further it should deal with the possibility that your beneficiary is not the type of person who should have access to the firearms. if you want to read about some of the issues or problems you might checkout a website on Gun Trusts.

In addition, I would be happy to address any legal questions on the NFA and what you can and cannot do.

David Goldman, Estate Planning Lawyer and Author of http://www.guntrustlawyer.com/

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    So David,

Is this an offer for a group rate on trusts? :innocent0

ArmyDV

Krull the Warrior King
    Jan 10, 2009
    Also, it's my understanding that if you go the Trust route, and you (the Trustee) dies... there are 3 options:

1. You have to do an individual transfer to a family member, going through the complete process.

2. You transfer them to a Class III dealer.

3. You turn them into the ATF.

The benefit of the Trust is more than not awaiting MSP check, but more of the fact that anyone on the Trust is legally authorized possession. The big downer is if you die, nobody owns them.

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

-ArmyDV

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    If your wife is part of your trust, i believe it makes it easier for her to dispose of your nfa items, in the unfortunate event of your death.
    You get a tax-free transfer (on a Form 5, I think it doesnt even require CLEO signature) upon the death of an individual owner.

frozencesium

BBQ Czar
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 5, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    In many states there are significant problems with the trusts quicken creates. An approved Form 4 does not mean your trust is valid. If the trust is not valid, you do not have permission to be in possession of the Title II firearm. In addition there are many problems that Quicken and other trust cannot begin to address in regards to the ownership, transfer, and possession of NFA restricted firearms. Many people consider protecting their family and friends in connection with the decision to purchase NFA firearms. A Quicken or standard form trust only deals with the ability to acquire them, and even this is typically a violation of the your duties as a trustee. That being said, if you are the creator and the only trustee, you are the only one who can complain about that while you are alive.

A Trust for NFA purchases should teach an unknown successor trustee how to transfer and deal with the items properly. In addition, it should allow for a trustee to use the items without worrying about creating liability for the beneficiaries. Further it should deal with the possibility that your beneficiary is not the type of person who should have access to the firearms. if you want to read about some of the issues or problems you might checkout a website on Gun Trusts.

In addition, I would be happy to address any legal questions on the NFA and what you can and cannot do.

David Goldman, Estate Planning Lawyer and Author of http://www.guntrustlawyer.com/

So...since in the trust I'm looking to set up, my wife is named as a trustee and provisions are made for alternate trustees as well as specifically how to disposes of weapons owned by the trust (as well as instructions if the beneficiaries are not allowed to own the firearms listed in the trust under state or federal law) I should be fine right? ;)

dmgwork

Jan 12, 2009
    Assuming that you have created a valid trust, it will probably be OK. Its hard to tell without reviewing the document and what your personal circumstances are. Some of the areas that you should look at are:
    1) does the successor trustee have the ability to determine if the transfer to the beneficiaries is a good idea - can they dispose of the assets.
    2) can you trust be modified to change the grantors or settlors at a later time to avoid a transfer if they are not permitted in the future.
    3) were the items purchased correctly - most people using form trust purchase as an individual and then transfer to the trust, but the Form 4 only gives permission for the dealer to transfer to the trust. This creates 2 violations of the NFA.
    4) does the trustee have the ability to purchase firearms and use them even though it will create potential liability to the beneficiaries ( can your beneficiary sue the successor trustee for using the items if they are devalued because of the use)
    5) can the trustee or successor trustee avoid a transfer of other NFA restricted items if the transfer is not completed correctly or must they accept them as almost all other trusts mandate.
    6) can the successor trustee wait to distribute the items if the beneficiary is not ready for them(maturity wise) or if the are located in a state where they are illegal (would the trustee be able to tell if they were illegal in that state) or must they distribute them upon the ending of the trust or when the beneficiary reaches a certain age.

Quicken trusts end 120 hours after the death of the grantor and become irrevocable upon the death of the first beneficiary. This can cause major problems and does not allow the trustee time to transfer them. This results in the successor trustee being in possession of a NFA item that they do not have the permission to be in possession of. Only the trustee had permission and upon the ending of the trust there is no "trustee"

There are many other issues that a normal trust does not deal with that are unique to firearms and NFA ownership, possession, and transfer. If you would like me to review your trust, I would be happy to do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom