• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Atrox88

Gold Member
    Jan 7, 2016
    Carroll County
    I like my 1911's and I like my Glocks. I have been thinking about a 10mm handgun for a while now. I have been looking at the Glock 20 but the Colt Delta Elite has recently come across my radar. Anyone have experience with either one of them?

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I have three Deltas...they're awesome pistols as is the 10mm round. I admit the Glock is an excellent pistol but I'm so accustomed to a 1911 the Glock grip angle feels odd plus the models 20 and 21 feel like a 2"x4" in my hand.

I don't believe you can go wrong with either as long as it feels comfortable in your hand.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i had a delta gold cup and still have the glock 20. the colt was a real nice gun, but single stack capacity is limiting. i had a trigger job done on it and it was smooth and accurate. the glock is nice but frankly it's a little big for my hands vs their 9/40/357sig models.

to be honest, i think 40 or 357sig is the way to go, at least in a glock platform. you can get some pretty hot loads in either and frame size and capacity is better.

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    I have 2 Delta Elites, a G20, and a G40. The 10mm is an excellent round for hunting, HD, and SD. The pistols will be a personal preference but either choice will serve you well. The Deltas are more refined and just a classic pistol. The Glocks seem more utilitarian. One of the differences is chamber support for the cartridge. There are arguements back and forth that Colt should have included a ramped barrel and doesn’t provide enough chamber support. Glock barrels provide more support and are ramped. I’ve fired full power Underwood ammo through all of mine and zero issues with cartridge bulges or function through the Glocks. One of my Deltas doesn’t seem to like the 200gr Underwood. But that just might be a break in or magazine issue. I haven’t fired it enough to diagnose it. But they all like the 180gr variety. I think it will come down to what you want to spend and the nature of the shooting along with what you like more. The obvious answer is to get each.

chino101

Jan 12, 2011
    I've only ever fired a Glock 20 Gen 4 using MagTech 180 Gr FMJ, and I was surprised by how tame the recoil was; it was comparable to a 1911 firing standard pressure .45 ACP 230 grain. MagTech published that the kinetic energy of their 10 mm FMJ to be around 543 ft/lb not sure if the Glock 20 was able to produce that though. I liked it enough that I bought one.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    How about a GP-100 in 10mm?

Have a S&W 610, my favorite wheelgun. I prefer 10mm through the GLOCK platform, the larger grip helps tone down the recoil compared to a 1911, has near double the capacity, and at least in my case keeps the brass in better shape than the non-ramped 1911 barrel. It is a gateway drug to hot autoloader cartridges, actually have more fun with 45 super/460 Rowland loads in the 1911 platform, with the ability to shoot 45ACP through them without changing anything.

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    I have only one 10 mm. It's a Delta Elite that's had a lot of custom work done on it that I bought from Dan at BPP (he seems to get all my money now). It is super sweet. I've never shot a G-lock (not a one of any caliber) and don't plan to so I can't compare. I've only shot average load rounds from S&B so far but it is very tame. A little louder and a little more muzzle flash than my 45 1911s but no more recoil. Awesome gun. I love it.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    People hate Springfield Armory, but they are making two great 10mm pistols. The 1911 operator and now an XDm. Worth a look. I love my XDm 9mm.

Atrox88

Gold Member
    Jan 7, 2016
    Carroll County
    I'm going to run over to the Machine Gun Nest after work tonight to see what models they have in 10 and try them out. I know they have the G20 but I am not sure what else.

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    People hate Springfield Armory, but they are making two great 10mm pistols. The 1911 operator and now an XDm. Worth a look. I love my XDm 9mm.

Yeah, I'm not happy with them either but I've got several great 1911s from their custom shop. Great guns. I'd love to have one in 10 mm from them.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    How about a GP-100 in 10mm?

I have a Ruger Blackhawk 10mm/.40 convertible waiting at the gun store now for the seven day wait to expire next week. I'm looking forward to adding it to my Deltas. I've always been and will continue to be a .45 ACP guy but the 10mm is an awesome round and it's fast becoming an equal favorite to my 1911s.

vetogunban

Apr 30, 2013
    Brooklyn Park
    I have the G20, little large but manageable. I also put Talon grips on it so even a little larger. I picked up a Mech Tech Carbine Conversion Unit for it; definitely tames the 10mm.

Atrox88

Gold Member
    Jan 7, 2016
    Carroll County
    I have the G20, little large but manageable. I also put Talon grips on it so even a little larger. I picked up a Mech Tech Carbine Conversion Unit for it; definitely tames the 10mm.

I shot 50 rounds through the G20 tonight at Machine Gun Nest. It was the only 10 they have to play with. What a beast!! I was grinning from ear to ear. :D

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    In my opinion the advantage of a 10mm is that you can get high capacity and semi auto with magnum energy.

Otherwise you may as well get a wheel gun in magnum caliber.

Glock 20 would be my choice.

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    In my opinion the advantage of a 10mm is that you can get high capacity and semi auto with magnum energy.

Otherwise you may as well get a wheel gun in magnum caliber.

Glock 20 would be my choice.

A brown bear and a grizzly have been killed this fall in Alaska with a 10mm. For the most recent one, 3 guys were hunting on Afognak Island when one of them was attacked by a brown bear with no warning. Thankfully, his 2 hunting partners were up to the task - they got 2 shots from a .300 WSM, and 12 shots from a Glock 20 10mm, into the bear and killed it. Their buddy has some serious wounds, but is alive because of their quick and decisive action.

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    I have a G20. I had to put some work into it to get it the way I wanted. I added TruGlow TFX sights, Apex Tactical trigger, Zev 3.5lb connector and polished the trigger bar and slide rails. It's a great beast. The large grip and polymer frame soaks up most of the recoil from even the hottest Underwood loads and it is very easy to shoot. I would love to own a Delta Elite but would never shoot it like I do the Glock. I just bought a Sig p320 in .45acp so I wouldn't "F" up my Kimber Royal II. That's dumb I know but I can't help it. :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom