• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    They don't ban things that aren't specifically a gun?

This is the state where if you tie two hotdogs together with dental floss you are illegally in possession of nunchucks.

The hot dogs have to be frozen to make it illegal, don't they, or did they remove that provision from the law? :D

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Damned boating accidents ;-)

If the accident was after 2013, don't forget to report it to MSP per state law within 72 hours of having the accident and losing your firearms, or you may become a felon.

MigraineMan

Ultimate Member
    Jun 9, 2011
    Frederick County
    If the accident was after 2013, don't forget to report it to MSP per state law within 72 hours of having the accident and losing your firearms, or you may become a felon.

I don't remember when the accident was, or the name of the boat, or which body of water we were in, or how I got there, or how I got home ... but Doctor_M was definitely there.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    I’m the best captain to ever set sail

Attachments

• 6AA8641D-EC2F-4FBF-A856-ABD5A4701829.jpeg
      6AA8641D-EC2F-4FBF-A856-ABD5A4701829.jpeg
      31.7 KB · Views: 510

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    The article said that lawmakers passed the ordinance 155-17. How big is Bridgeport that it needs over 170 lawmakers? According to their web site, they have 20 city council members, so who is doing the voting? Also, according to the city's web site, the fine will be $250 per day. Not sure how that works. When they find out that you have the gun, the "crime" has been committed. What are they going to do, count how many days it has been since the law went into effect and figure out the fine?

Edit. ---- Okay, I am really stupid. 155-17 was the ordinance number, not the outcome of the vote. My other comments about the fine still stand.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    What ever the possible legislation says it's BS as it can't stop someone from making a firearm. Anybody can walk into a plumbing supply house and pick up everything needed to make a firearm. Hell HomeDepot and Lowes have everything on hand to make a sub-machine gun if one wanted to and you don't need a 3D printer to do that. As a kid growing up in the city one of the boys down the street showed us how to make a single shot zip gun from a car antenna, nail, and a rubber band. Up close and in person it works. MGA forgets that man/woman can find/make a weapon to do harm to another if so inclined. We are not that far from animal kingdom except we kill for sport, rage, or business. IMHO Chris.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    That only applies if they were lost in MD. Didn't your boat travel into VA waters first?

The law makes no distinction of where the firearms were lost, just that they were lost or stolen.

I don't remember when the accident was, or the name of the boat, or which body of water we were in, or how I got there, or how I got home ... but Doctor_M was definitely there.

The law states, once the owner has found the firearms lost or stolen.

While I do understand the joke, it really isn't a joke anymore since Maryland made the addition to the law.

Here is the law for reference;

§ 5-146. Lost or stolen regulated firearms.

(a) Dealer to inform purchasers of reporting requirements. -- A dealer or any other person who sells or transfers a regulated firearm shall notify the purchaser or recipient of the regulated firearm at the time of purchase or transfer that the purchaser or recipient is required to report a lost or stolen regulated firearm to the local law enforcement agency as required under subsection (b) of this section.

(b) Duties of owner to report. -- If a regulated firearm is lost or stolen, the owner of the regulated firearm shall report the loss or theft to the local law enforcement agency within 72 hours after the owner first discovers the loss or theft.

(c) Duties of local law enforcement agency on receipt of report. -- On receipt of a report of a lost or stolen regulated firearm, a local law enforcement agency shall report to the Secretary and enter into the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) database, to the extent known, the caliber, make, model, manufacturer, and serial number of the regulated firearm and any other distinguishing number or identification mark on the regulated firearm.

(d) Violations; penalties. --
    (1) A knowing and willful first-time violation of this section is a civil offense punishable by a fine not exceeding $ 500.

(2) A person who knowingly and willfully violates this section for a second or subsequent time is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 90 days or a fine not exceeding $ 500 or both.

(e) Civil remedies or criminal prosecutions. -- The imposition of a civil or criminal penalty under this section does not preclude the pursuit of any other civil remedy or criminal prosecution authorized by law.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    The law makes no distinction of where the firearms were lost, just that they were lost or stolen.

The law states, once the owner has found the firearms lost or stolen.

Maryland's writ does not extend beyond its borders, much as MGA and MDAG may want it to. I've read that courts have spoken previously on issues like this. MD law does not require notification prior to removal of a regulated firearm from the state, and once the firearm is outside the state, MD law no longer applies to what you do with it or what happens to it.

As far as MD is concerned, the firearm left the state and did not return. How it was disposed of out of state is irrelevant, and as far as I'm aware, MD does not require notification that the firearm was disposed of out of state upon your return to MD. If they do, that changes things slightly, but then it's still about out of state disposal, not theft or loss.

Maybe ESQ might can chime in on this issue and settle it.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    This will once again ONLY affect law-abiding citizens who are not the problem. It will also ban something that is NOT a problem to begin with. Typical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom