Aliengear or Blade-Tech OWB Paddle Holster?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I've signed up for a holster draw class, and will be running my stock Glock 17. I know absolutely nothing holsters or drawing from them, except that:
    1. I need an OWB paddle holster.
    2. I need an OWB paddle double mag carrier.
    3. I'd like to buy into a single comprehensive system so that if I decide to get more holsters, I have some interchangeability.
    4. Shooting yourself in the leg or foot is bad.

In this particular case, I'm trying to decide between the Aliengear Shapeshift and Blade-Tech Total Eclipse (or maybe Signature, jury's out). Both seem to have fairly comprehensive attachment/accessory systems backing them, and both would run me about a hundred bucks to start with.

Your thoughts and experiences would be appreciated.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    The nice thing about the shapeshifter is that with the kit you can experiment with different carry configurations and adapt for different clothing. They also have very nice adjustable retention so if you are in a holster class you can loosen it up a bit for repetitive draws. Downside is that the Alien gear is not going to be the slimmest that you can get.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    I've signed up for a holster draw class, and will be running my stock Glock 17. I know absolutely nothing holsters or drawing from them, except that:
    1. I need an OWB paddle holster.
    2. I need an OWB paddle double mag carrier.
    3. I'd like to buy into a single comprehensive system so that if I decide to get more holsters, I have some interchangeability.
    4. Shooting yourself in the leg or foot is bad.

In this particular case, I'm trying to decide between the Aliengear Shapeshift and Blade-Tech Total Eclipse (or maybe Signature, jury's out). Both seem to have fairly comprehensive attachment/accessory systems backing them, and both would run me about a hundred bucks to start with.

Your thoughts and experiences would be appreciated.
    1. Paddle holsters suck for security. For competition/range use theyre okay but thats about it. Thread in/on will always be better providing quality components are used.
    2. Don't buy a Blackhawk Serpa. Most ranges/organizations and quite a few LE agencies ban them.
    3. I have my lending set if you want to try before you buy. It's a Safariland range/competition holster and a no name kydex mag pouch. I also have a 5.11 tactical belt if you don't have a QUALITY gun belt to use. They're modified slightly for beginner use but should serve you fine. We could meet at my range if you want to not look like a beginner on the first day of class.

-Mil-Surp-Phreak-

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2007
    Gaithersburg
    I ran Aliengear for awhile for my G19 but switched to other brands just to see what other offerings were out there. I was 100% satisfied with my Aliengear and only changed up because I can't let things be lol. Can't be beaten for the price.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Paddle holsters inherently suck, as an entire catagory . It takes a world class paddle holster to be equivalent to a low end of mediocre belt holster .

"System " as in all the gear is decent quality , functional , and suited to *You* , is a good thing . "Single Comprehensive System " as in all matching gear, from same mfg/ product line thereof is over rated .

Shooting youself in leg, foot, ass, etc is a bad thing , and to generally be avoided . The biggest factor is your finger and brain , rather than the holster .

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    1. Paddle holsters suck for security. For competition/range use theyre okay but thats about it. Thread in/on will always be better providing quality components are used.
    Just to be clear, this is literally all I'll be using it for, at least at first. My daily routine is not such that I could carry even if I had the license(s). I'm just trying to get some education so that, if that changes, I would feel comfortable doing so. (Also as a gateway to more advanced training where there's an expectation that you know how to draw efficiently.)

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    I have an AlienGear paddle that I played with for my sig. It is really bulky. Last time I used it, I was hunting with a good belt and the complete paddle let go when I was hunting. If I didn't have my hunting bib on, I would have lost it in the woods. If you decide to use it, make sure you use the belt loop option. The paddle is not secure.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I have an AlienGear paddle that I played with for my sig. It is really bulky. Last time I used it, I was hunting with a good belt and the complete paddle let go when I was hunting. If I didn't have my hunting bib on, I would have lost it in the woods. If you decide to use it, make sure you use the belt loop option. The paddle is not secure.
    Which AG holster in particular?

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    two of the most popular idpa/uspsa brands are blade-tech and comp-tac. these are perfect for range activities like yours. blade-tech has an idpa beginner's pack you can look for. as noted above, a thick sturdy belt is a key ingredient. personally, i don't care for any of the 'instructor' belts. for idpa (and actual carry) i use a thick leather belt. for uspsa (and 2 & 3 gun etc) i use a double belt system - there's an inner belt that goes on like a regular belt and has velcro on the outside. then an outer belt (with velcro on inside), on which you mount your holster, mag pouches, etc, and that just wraps over the inner belt. brands for that include cr speed and double alpha. haven't used AG so cannot comment on them, and haven't noticed any at any idpa/uspsa/etc matches.

https://www.amazon.com/Competition-Shooters-Various-orientations-available/dp/B00C5OWUBG

https://blade-tech.com/products/classic-owb

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    As others have said, avoid the paddle unless you really want to trade quick on-off ability for a substantial increase in comfort and decrease in stability. I would opt for a tek-lok over a paddle any day if you want the convenience, but much better security and stability. Main issue with the new Aliengear is the holster shell attatches to the backing/loops by a single point on the slide side, OK if it's worn IWB and the pants can help support it, but the example I checked out seemed it would be really flimsy feeling when worn OWB or with a paddle. The Blade tech Eclipse is GTG, holds the pistol close, nice wide and stable belt loop configuration, not compatible with their paddle. Only issue it requires adapters to add cant, so unless it's worn at 3:00 on the belt, it will feel a bit awkward.

There are other choices though, I prefer pancake style Kydex or leather personally, they conceal well OWB, are wide and stable, and comfortable while holding the pistol close. Galco, Safariland, DeSantis, Raven, and Comp-tac all make very good holsters of this design. For mag carriers, IMO 2 single carriers are MUCH easier to position and draw from than a double carrier, can't really go wrong with a quality brand, unless you want a special belt attatchemment hardware, most any will work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom