• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Having used a modern Sako, I must disagree. Daddy Sako is smoother then little kids Tikka and more accurate. That said, they also command 3x the price.

My old Sako Forester (its as old as I am, 35+ years old) is a tack driver (doing my part and small luck it is sub half MOA with the right ammo for 3 shot groups. It heats up and opens up as it isn’t floated) with the best trigger I have EVER used. But the bolt isn’t the best. Really nice, but the two lug design it used is very slightly sloppy. Not bad mind you, but nothing like a new Tikka or Sako.

You are killing me. I've been debating a target rifle in .308 lately. The debate has been between the Ruger Precision Rifle, the Tikka T3x Tac A1, and the Sako TRG 22. Thought I was set on the Tikka, and now I read what you post.

Thought about the TRG-22 A1 for a second, until I read that Sako will be asking $6,000 for it, which is essentially a TRG-22 with a new stock on it. No way I am getting $6,000 past my wife, and even if I did, it would have to be .50 BMG for that price.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    You are killing me. I've been debating a target rifle in .308 lately.

first, check out 6.5 creedmoor. way more cushion for wind calls over 308, and some pretty nice factory match ammo out there (as with 308).

come out to peacemaker's LRC match in march, and their PRS match in april. you'll be able to check out oodles of precision rifles, scopes, gear and the like to get a better idea of what you may want.

Ifdot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Md Eastern Shore
    Having used a modern Sako, I must disagree. Daddy Sako is smoother then little kids Tikka and more accurate. That said, they also command 3x the price.

My old Sako Forester (its as old as I am, 35+ years old) is a tack driver (doing my part and small luck it is sub half MOA with the right ammo for 3 shot groups. It heats up and opens up as it isn’t floated) with the best trigger I have EVER used. But the bolt isn’t the best. Really nice, but the two lug design it used is very slightly sloppy. Not bad mind you, but nothing like a new Tikka or Sako.

Yeah that's great, op is looking for a under $600 price point. Come back when you can offer something useful.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    first, check out 6.5 creedmoor. way more cushion for wind calls over 308, and some pretty nice factory match ammo out there (as with 308).

come out to peacemaker's LRC match in march, and their PRS match in april. you'll be able to check out oodles of precision rifles, scopes, gear and the like to get a better idea of what you may want.

Yeah, I already went down the 6.5 and .308 hole. Spent an entire night looking at article after article on it. You can justify both of them depending on what you want. So, I decided on .308 Win for now. Does not mean a 6.5 will not come along at some point.

Doubt I will be able to make the March match, but I might be able to make the April one if it is after April 15th.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Yeah that's great, op is looking for a under $600 price point. Come back when you can offer something useful.

No need to be like that. Maybe the useful advice would be something along the lines of "OP, save up some more money for a Sako. Even a used Sako will be the nicest gun possible compared to Ruger, Remington, Winchester, etc. Better to buy once and cry once, than to buy something you will not be happy with."

I am probably going to go that route and get the Sako target rifle. I'll still be shooting the rifle long after I am done crying, and the tears will not be that large knowing what I got for my money.

Am I offering something useful? lol

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Sako is nice, no arguments, but we aren't sneeking that past the ol lady. $600 isn't set in stone, but I gotta watch the bank book, because she sure does.:)

Guess I'll be browsing at the Gun show this weekend in Howard County.

Wardove

Jul 23, 2017
    Blairsville, GA
    243 good for what you want

As for which gun, consider Remington 788 as they are remarkably accurate. Remington stopped making them as they were a cheaper gun that outshot the 700. Also consider a Remington 600 or 660 for a lighter but still super accurate hunting gun. Both are getting more collectible all the time but still can be found for $3-400 each in this caliber.

Pittbull

Jan 28, 2013
    I would take a serious look at the CZ 527 in 7.62 x 39mm. lightweight, extremely accurate, Mauser bolt action with a 5 round magizine.
    The advantages of this rifle is that it is lightweight, exceptionally accurate and fires the 7.62x39 which is very reasonable ammo. It can accomodate a mounted scope. I am attaching a video of Hickok45 reviewing this rifle. Of coarse, it is always desirable to shoot this rifle yourself if possible to get a personal sampling of its ability. CZ has an incredible and historical history of making one of the finest firearms in the world. The only limitation is finding one for sale. The single shot 7.62 x39 is in very high demand and you may have to wait for it to be in stock. The CZ 527 also comes in .223, .308 and other sizes. Good Luck and here is the review: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WSu7EuQr6o4

Dec 30, 2015
    It looks like you got a lot of good advice and I think the .243 is probably your best overall cartridge. I will have to dispute something ArcheryRob said in the 2nd post of the thread. If you are going .223 with a heavy bullet, 69, 72, 77gr, the 1:9 twist, in my experience, does not handle them well. The 1:8 seems to be the best overall for handling the widest range of bullet weight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom