CETME (if legal)
    [EDIT]
    M1 Garand in 308 (CMP special)

Last edited:

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Damascus
    I recently picked up a used LWRC REPR and I would highly recommend it (I guess it can be put it in the AR-10 category.)

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    No one mentioned this .308 Battle Rifle
    http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1-garand/

RM1308SPECIAL; $1030.00 Free Shipping
    CMP Special (.308) M1 Garand. This is a completely refurbished rifle consisting of an original M1 Garand Springfield or HRA receiver, new production Criterion barrel, new production American Walnut stock and handguards, and new web sling. Receiver and most other parts are refinished USGI, but some parts may be new manufacture. Receiver may have pitting. A .308 spacer block is installed to prevent the loading of a .30-06 round into the chamber.

General Patton wrote a letter to Springfield Armory that has given us one of the most memorable gun quotes of all time: “In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
    https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2015/4/10/handling-general-george-s-patton-s-m1-garand/

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    If you get a Cetme stock up on parts and buy alot because the parts you are getting are probably surplus used.

I don't like the PSA .308s.

Arma lite .AR10 A4 I believe takes the SR25/DPMS mags. Get one and remove the clamp on FSB with a pinned GSB, Gas Block, or better off an SLR adjustable Gas Block and pin it.

DPMS LR308S are decent but often need some tweaking to run well. Tubb Action Spring. Ramp and Chamber Work, and a Geissele.

Opinion on RRA AR10? I haven't had any problems, but don't shoot it a lot.

scout6

Sep 28, 2016
    Ceciltucky
    Might as well share mine. Basic DPMS Oracle .308 base. Bit on the heavy side, but haven't had any problems with it.

Geissele SSA-E trigger
    PA 3x Magnifier Gen IV w/ flip to the side mounts
    Holosun HG503g-ACSS Red Dot
    MI fold down BUIS

Attachments

• DPMS Oracle 308.jpg
      DPMS Oracle 308.jpg
      24.4 KB · Views: 374

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    It’s a Magpul Masada stock/Bushmaster ACR. Lots of companies make adapter plates for certain firearms
    Hmmm, ideas for that stock...

I digress. Can I rewind this thread temporarily? By what criteria are we defining a “battle rifle”? I’m envisioning (albeit probably narrowly) a mobile, free-hand shooter that would be handy in home defense, 2 or 3-gun running & gunning, basically a relatively lightweight shooter that would be equally at home in...well, battle. Basically I’m envisioning an AR-15 5.56/.223 platform / weight combo.

My admittedly limited AR-.308 experience is that they’re pretty heavy and though I’ve never been in combat or in a gunfight of any kind, I can’t imagine spending any kind of extended time behind the trigger if not on a bench or rest of some kind. Case in point, I just setup a DPMS SASS, damn nice rifle, may even have become my favorite in a very short time, but damn is that thing heavy. I still couldn’t see myself running thru a village jumping walls and ditches, or running a stage on a course carrying a 15 lb rifle.

I have been monitoring this thread because I have a handful of 5.56’s, and was debating grabbing a lighter weight AR-10 style for the running and gunning type shooting described above. I too am following the progress and the advice in this thread, and by my narrow definition explained above I really haven’t seen anything that strikes me in particular as a “battle rifle” (M1A’s and Mini-30’s aside that is, because for some reason in my mind they seem to fit my perceived criteria).

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Hmmm, ideas for that stock...

I digress. Can I rewind this thread temporarily? By what criteria are we defining a “battle rifle”? I’m envisioning (albeit probably narrowly) a mobile, free-hand shooter that would be handy in home defense, 2 or 3-gun running & gunning, basically a relatively lightweight shooter that would be equally at home in...well, battle. Basically I’m envisioning an AR-15 5.56/.223 platform / weight combo.

My admittedly limited AR-.308 experience is that they’re pretty heavy and though I’ve never been in combat or in a gunfight of any kind, I can’t imagine spending any kind of extended time behind the trigger if not on a bench or rest of some kind. Case in point, I just setup a DPMS SASS, damn nice rifle, may even have become my favorite in a very short time, but damn is that thing heavy. I still couldn’t see myself running thru a village jumping walls and ditches, or running a stage on a course carrying a 15 lb rifle.

I have been monitoring this thread because I have a handful of 5.56’s, and was debating grabbing a lighter weight AR-10 style for the running and gunning type shooting described above. I too am following the progress and the advice in this thread, and by my narrow definition explained above I really haven’t seen anything that strikes me in particular as a “battle rifle” (M1A’s and Mini-30’s aside that is, because for some reason in my mind they seem to fit my perceived criteria).

You do know that if you are smart with the build, you can assemble an AR10 that is <8.5#, right?

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    You do know that if you are smart with the build, you can assemble an AR10 that is <8.5#, right?
    Good point. Though I’m not all that inclined to dedicate the time and effort into a build, so many more things I need to do. I’m still not sure that the image that pops into my head when I hear “battle rifle” is congruent with everyone else’s (like I said I think my definition may be a bit narrow), but I am overall digging the suggested rifles throughout this thread regardless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom