Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Recreational Shooting
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old September 24th, 2019, 12:12 PM #1

Which guns to the range?

Anybody else have trouble deciding which guns to take to the range? Seems like I always take too many or have too much stuff to lug from the car. Range bag with pistols and ammo, targets, spotting scope and mount, rifle/s. I thought once I joined a range and could go whenever I want, I wouldn't take so much every trip. What is a typical load for you?
NeutronBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2019, 12:57 PM #2
The Hebrew Hammer

The Hebrew Hammer

Yes, I think this is a common problem. I maintain a spreadsheet in Google Sheets that I use to determine which firearms need to be brought out for zero'ing, function check, etc. Obviously, such guns are prioritized. After that, it's more of a decision about what skill I need to work on.

Stuff I always bring:
1. Eye/ear protection.
2. Pro timer.
3. Lube.
4. Cleaning rod (for poking out stuck rounds)
5. Multi-tool.
6. Medical (even if it's just a boo-boo kit).
7. Appropriate targets.

The rest of it totally depends on what I'm trying to do, and where. My long-distance load-out looks totally different than my "tactical-distance" carbine load-out, and shotgun is just its own animal. I'll pack a magnetospeed if I'm trying to chrono loads. Maybe a Kestrel if I'm shooting outside. It is very rare for me not to bring a pistol and do some holster work on every range outing, because pistol skills are so perishable.

It is relatively rare for me to bring more than two pistols and two long guns with me on any range trip. I've done three long guns at AGC before, but I hate running back and forth from my car.
Old September 24th, 2019, 01:09 PM #3

Few of us would see more guns as in any way a bad thing. But there's no free lunch, and figuring out what to take and having more to maintain isn't the only downside. Another thing that can happen with more guns is you become less proficient with any of them, than you otherwise might be. To me, this is the one downside that's most important to try to guard against.
Uncle Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2019, 01:18 PM #4

Two rifle cases, one 4 gun pistol case, and accessories (ammo, eyes, ears, targets...)

That is what I can carry in two trips to the car and that always seems to be enough.

Unless I am bringing new shooters, in which case they can carry what they want to shoot.
BlueHeeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2019, 01:53 PM #5
For great Justice

For great Justice

much depends on why I am going, have a private range 2 miles away, so easy to go often or on the way to/from things. Most of the time i just put a box of ammo through a carry gun, or sight in something, so done in 15min. Although on occasion i might bring a trunk full of gear if I am instructing or someone wants to spend a few hours there.
"Unfortunately, freedom allows sh*theads to get away with stuff. You always know the mark of a coward. A coward hides behind freedom. A brave person stands in front of freedom and defends it for others."
-Henry Rollins
alucard0822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2019, 01:57 PM #6

Earpro, eyepro, gloves, trauma kit, otis field kit with clp or mpro7, notepad, pen, multitool, water, snacks, lead wipes. That's my "every time kit". It fits in a backpack. I also throw a ton of full mags in there.

I carry outdoor targets(and patches) in mailer tubes but buy em if I'm going indoor. I would add spotting scope, shell catcher, and sandbags/rests if I had long range optics. Then, just decide what lead slinger(s) you will bring, load a bunch of mags beforehand and party on. You should be able to fit an "every time kit" and maybe mags in a backpack and just bring whatever shooter(s) in their designated cases or multicases. This way you're not leaving cases or packs unguarded and you can carry everything in one go.

Shooting hasn't made it over to my expensive hobby realm yet. If I did have a million guns, I would still only take 1 or 2 to the range due to my limited attention span and proximity to ranges.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
Hansum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2019, 01:59 PM #7
MSI EM

MSI EM

Firearms: It will depend on who is going with me or not (give them choices). ALWAYS my S&W M&P .45 as it is my HD gun and i always finish my shooting with it. Otherwise i pick anything new (or close to new) and then something fun.

Range bag has eyes, ears, ammo (based on guns), magazines, a couple tools, barrel snakes and Lula's.
Briefcase has targets, stapler, target spots, notebook, pens and extra staples.
Target frame

I park 20-30 feet or so from shooting points, so it isn't a problem to make more than 2 trips.
Old September 24th, 2019, 02:02 PM #8
C&R Whisperer

C&R Whisperer

With a collection of my size and scope I try to do a "theme day" to help make the decision easier. One day it could be French autoloaders like the MAS 49 & 49/56. The next session it's Finn MNs. Or US .30 cal with a M1 Garand and M1 Carbine. Springfield 1922 and MAS 45 .22 trainers if I'm lazy/tired and don't want to chase brass or walk all the way to the backstop. Whatever fits my mood that day.
Old September 24th, 2019, 02:33 PM #9
Are You Not Entertained

Location: Prince George's, MD...need to move across the Potomac
Are You Not Entertained

Location: Prince George's, MD...need to move across the Potomac
I wish I have all the cool stuff many of you have. I take my Glock 30S and a 9mm of choice. I never feel like carrying a rifle and/or shotgun. I saw a guy at the range on Saturday and I thought he was either homeless (with all his possessions, bags, carts, etc.) or he was moving. With all the varying bullets and targets...once I get set up, I'm ready for a nap.
Cbr1000rrRyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2019, 03:00 PM #10

I'm considering a small handtruck and tote for gun and gear carry. One trip instead of 2-3. Ya Never can have Too much stuff with you!
jr355 is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Recreational Shooting