Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Preppers
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 26th, 2020, 04:49 PM #11
HSTD HSTD is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Clear Spring
Posts: 36
HSTD HSTD is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Clear Spring
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Shell View Post
That's just it, part 95 is amateur radio and the MURS/FRS/GMRS are different services for which the Baofeng is NOT certified.

For one very easy example, FRS radios are limited in power to less than that delivered by the Baofeng AND are not allowed to have removable antennas. Both factors make the use of the Baofeng illegal for FRS.

Receiving is not an issue.

Not correct.

The Amateur Service is Part 97:
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/47/part-97

MURS/FRS/GMRS are in Part 95:
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/47/part-95


Baofeng has Part 95 certified radios:
https://baofengtech.com/blog/Fr/Post...ht%20for%20You
HSTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2020, 04:59 PM #12
HSTD HSTD is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Clear Spring
Posts: 36
HSTD HSTD is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Clear Spring
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by K31 View Post

And provided it is legal to possess in the first place.
What radios are illegal to possess?

Certain radios may be illegal to buy or sell, or to import. But I don't think that possessing one is an issue.
HSTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2020, 05:28 PM #13
E.Shell's Avatar
E.Shell E.Shell is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Where everyone knows that Epstein Did Not Kill Himself.
Posts: 6,486
E.Shell E.Shell is offline
Senior Member
E.Shell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Where everyone knows that Epstein Did Not Kill Himself.
Posts: 6,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTD View Post
Not correct.

The Amateur Service is Part 97:
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/47/part-97

MURS/FRS/GMRS are in Part 95:
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/47/part-95


Baofeng has Part 95 certified radios:
https://baofengtech.com/blog/Fr/Post...ht%20for%20You
Thank you, I stand corrected.
__________________
Stop calling anti-gun politicians “stupid”. They are not. The continuing assault on gun owners and the Constitution/BoR has nothing to do with street-level crime and you will not “educate them” your way out of this.

The beatings will continue until morale improves.
E.Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2020, 05:32 PM #14
dblas dblas is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,652
dblas dblas is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTD View Post
Not correct.

The Amateur Service is Part 97:
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/47/part-97

MURS/FRS/GMRS are in Part 95:
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/47/part-95


Baofeng has Part 95 certified radios:
https://baofengtech.com/blog/Fr/Post...ht%20for%20You
The UV-5X is what most folks are buying and using and it's perfectly legal to use for Amateur radio because it is Part 97 accepted. It IS NOT Part 95 accepted and CANNOT be used on FRS, GMRS, or MURS frequencies without being certified to do so.
__________________
"If it pleases the crown"
dblas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2020, 05:50 PM #15
HSTD HSTD is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Clear Spring
Posts: 36
HSTD HSTD is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Clear Spring
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblas View Post
The UV-5X is what most folks are buying and using and it's perfectly legal to use for Amateur radio because it is Part 97 accepted. It IS NOT Part 95 accepted and CANNOT be used on FRS, GMRS, or MURS frequencies without being certified to do so.
Pretty sure that there is no requirement for FCC Part 97 acceptance or certification of VHF/UHF transmitters in the Amateur Service.

The UV-5X Can be used to receive FRS, GMRS, and MURS frequencies without issue. Transmitting is not allowed without the proper certification/acceptance.
HSTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2020, 06:24 PM #16
dblas dblas is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,652
dblas dblas is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTD View Post
Pretty sure that there is no requirement for FCC Part 97 acceptance or certification of VHF/UHF transmitters in the Amateur Service.
While there is not a formal type acceptance, Part 97 radios are required, by the FCC, to be unable to transmit on ANY none amateur radio frequencies such as FRS, GMRS, MURS, or business band frequencies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTD View Post
The UV-5X Can be used to receive FRS, GMRS, and MURS frequencies without issue. Transmitting is not allowed without the proper certification/acceptance.
The Baofeng UV-5R was marketed at amateur radio and NEVER type accepted for any of those services.
__________________
"If it pleases the crown"
dblas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2020, 07:02 PM #17
K31's Avatar
K31 K31 is offline
Purity of Essence
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: AA county
Posts: 27,686
Images: 10
K31 K31 is offline
Purity of Essence
K31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: AA county
Posts: 27,686
Images: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTD View Post
What radios are illegal to possess?

Certain radios may be illegal to buy or sell, or to import. But I don't think that possessing one is an issue.
Search for the Baofeng thread, it was covered there.
__________________
Giving "respectful, civil gun owners a bad name" since January 15th, 2006.

My opinions are my own and not necessarily those of my employer. Which is self evident, because my opinions are so awesome!

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers

A new life awaits you on the off-world colonies!
K31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2020, 07:22 PM #18
HSTD HSTD is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Clear Spring
Posts: 36
HSTD HSTD is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Clear Spring
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by K31 View Post
Search for the Baofeng thread, it was covered there.
I don't need to search for the thread, because there are no radios that are illegal to possess. Buy, sell, or use for transmitting, maybe...

Simple possession, no.

If you can provide a link for the thread, or more appropriately the CFR or USC that defines a radio that is illegal to possess, I'd be glad to read it.
HSTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2020, 07:27 PM #19
K31's Avatar
K31 K31 is offline
Purity of Essence
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: AA county
Posts: 27,686
Images: 10
K31 K31 is offline
Purity of Essence
K31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: AA county
Posts: 27,686
Images: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTD View Post
I don't need to search for the thread, because there are no radios that are illegal to possess. Buy, sell, or use for transmitting, maybe...

Simple possession, no.
Then why did you ask?

Bye.
__________________
Giving "respectful, civil gun owners a bad name" since January 15th, 2006.

My opinions are my own and not necessarily those of my employer. Which is self evident, because my opinions are so awesome!

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers

A new life awaits you on the off-world colonies!
K31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2020, 07:41 PM #20
HSTD HSTD is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Clear Spring
Posts: 36
HSTD HSTD is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Clear Spring
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by K31 View Post
Then why did you ask?

Bye.
because I am wanting to see you prove your point.

unless of course you can't...
HSTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Preppers


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2019, Congregate Media, LP Privacy Policy Terms of Service