• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    Reading around glock forums for reviews on different parts (tungsten guide rods and such)...seems quite common for people to simply say, especilly for carry guns, that adding these types of parts greatly reduces the reliability of them...is there any proof that a stock glock is more reliable than a properly tuned and modified one?

Edit...PARTS...i hate typing on touch screen phones...

zmayhem

Feb 2, 2012
    I doubt there's any factual data to support either. I think some people like the idea of a steel rod while others believe that the way Glock makes it is better because otherwise they would do it another way. Really comes down to personal preference. I keep mine pretty much stock, have shot others with the steel guide rod and my groupings didn't improve or worsen enough to notice. I'd go with whatever you prefer but I think any "gained performance" is in peoples heads.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    You might be asking the question bass ackwards. In other words, is there concrete proof that a molested Glock is as reliable as a stock one, assuming both are broken-in? Then there's the Pandora's box known as Gen4 (limited to 9mm AFAIK).

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Polymer Frames flexes alot under recoil. A Polymer Guide Rod will give with those impulses where solid Guide Rods wont.

My Rule of Thumb:

Steel/Aluminum Frame= Steel or Polymer Guide Rod

Polymer Frame= Polymer Guide Rod

Aftermarket Barrels also can reduce reliability too depending on the firearm, they often tighten tolerances in the chamber/ramps/barrel support, and other areas are often oversized. Most people see this phenom exaggerated when a suppressor is used with an aftermarket barrel. Best solution is keep a factory barrel unless you really need smaller groups. If a suppressor is used you can get thre factory unit extended and threaded by ADCO or Tornado Tech.

Some people replace Recoil Springs in guns like Glocks and M&P's that have FLAT Coil Recoil Springs and put in standard round coil Recoil Springs. When this is done the rearward slide movement can be liminited because a falt recoul spring can compress more where a standard coil spring cannot. Ths can inpart failures like recoil buffers do.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    Makes sense. Would you say the flex effect of subcompact frames is far less than full size or even compact, such to where the use of metal guide rods would have no adverse effects?

I am thinking about replacing my g27 rod, not for any particular reason other than my stock spring has a slight hang up issue pulling back though the opening in the slide when returning to full lockup...it has no effect on reliabiliy however its just an annoying quirk to me.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I suggest paying a Glock armorer/gunsmith to go over it before swapping out parts. You could end up spending one or two hundred dollars on replacement parts and either not solve the problem or create new ones. Where it gets really ugly is when new parts add layers of problems to the onion. Replacement parts that affect the action are not necessarily plug and play. They typically require minor professional fitting.

lseries

Dec 11, 2011
    Aftermarket Barrels also can reduce reliability too depending on the firearm, they often tighten tolerances in the chamber/ramps/barrel support, and other areas are often oversized. Most people see this phenom exaggerated when a suppressor is used with an aftermarket barrel. Best solution is keep a factory barrel unless you really need smaller groups.

What about Lone Wolf barrels? I'd like to be able to shoot cast bullets. If the Lone Wolf barrels work decently, that would be a cheaper way to achieve the goal than to buy another gun.

Thanks.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I have 40 conversion barrels for my 10mm Glocks.(Sorry Chad it's just cheaper to shoot.) For carry I use stock barrels.

I did put stock weight Wolff springs and SS guide rods in my Glocks.

no issues at all.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    What about Lone Wolf barrels? I'd like to be able to shoot cast bullets. If the Lone Wolf barrels work decently, that would be a cheaper way to achieve the goal than to buy another gun.

Thanks.

Lone Wolf barrels have a good reputation.
    Personally, I don't care for their HUGE logo on the top of their barrels.
    (And I really don't like having to pay more, to have the logo put under the barrel/chamber, either!)

Storm Lake and KKM have a very good reputation, too.

I have a BarSto 'match' barrel that I fitted to my G21. With my favorite handloads using a 200 gr hardcast SWC and W-231, this pistol is very accurate!!
    (I also use a full-length stainless guide rod and Wolfe Recoil Spring!)
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:

vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    I had to install an aftermarket extractor in my Gen 4 G19 to make it extract and eject properly. I'd get a cut rifling barrel if I started loading lead bullets. No desire to change the recoil spring, it works just fine.

Habrok

Mar 9, 2010
    I bought a 6" LW barrel for my G20. Much less reliable than stock, I need to take some time and work on the ramp/chamber. Gets up to 50% failure to feed, not always that high but very poor.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    There's a reason LW is one of the cheaper options in town. If you get one that works, good on you, but there are plenty of people who've been burned by their products before, too.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD

Thanks.

Lone Wolf are junk IMO.

If you want a decernt aftermarket barrel get a Barsto, KKM, Jarvis, or Storm Lake.

My previous comments about aftermarket barrels still apply to the above. Use them for paper punching.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    in the various uspsa, idpa, 3 gun events i do, i very rarely see glocks malfunction, but the vast majority of the few that malfunction have been modified (guide rod/spring, etc). i have had or done trigger work on all of mine with zero effect on reliability.

my suggestion, other than trigger work (and sights), leave it alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom