• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mildot

Nov 23, 2011
    Arnold, MD
    +1 I have a leupold VX-3 2.5-8x32 on my .460 and I have been very satisfied with it. I like the variable power and tend to use 4-6x when shooting 200yds. I am just starting to shoot 300yds but don't think I will use more than 6x. I rest my hand on the bench to shoot the longer distances. Some folks prefer to stick to the fixed 2x scopes as the sight picture moves too much at the higher powers. I use a red dot (1x) on my DE50 and this works very well from 25ft to 200yds which is about the limit with the DE. The leupold handgun scopes are right around or just over your $500. What do you plan to put the scope on?

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    I'm selling my Ruger 22/45 to my brother and replacing it with a Mark 3 Hunter. I'm thinking a 2x or 4x would be plenty. I can't see myself shooting over 50 yards with it.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    If you'll be mostly shooting from a rest, the 4x will work fine. As Mildot said above, the crosshair moves alot if shooting offhand. 2x is better for offhand. If you want to bring the target up really close, the 2.5-8x model is the bee's knees. You'll need a rest at the higher powers and it may look a bit big on a Mk3.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    the leupold scope on my .44mag has been back to the factory twice. once for a split/crack in the outer lens, and again for fogging. leupold covered it both times. good service, but maybe i got a bad one.:rolleyes:

Mildot

Nov 23, 2011
    Arnold, MD
    I have a mkIII 22/45 RP with a matchdot Red dot and it works great. The new matchdot II looks interesting too and they are under $230.

Enjoy the Hunter.

WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    I have two Bushnell Ellite 3200 3x6 pistol scopes and they are awesome!
    629_1.jpg

500mag1.jpg

Mildot

Nov 23, 2011
    Arnold, MD
    Wheelhead

Hey, we'll have to meet up again and exercise the revolvers. I just ordered the .460 dies and some projectiles to send down range. I should have some rounds together next week after the dies come in.

I hope to be at the range Monday shooting some bmg rounds if the weather is tolerable.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    WheelHead said:
    I have two Bushnell Ellite 3200 3x6 pistol scopes and they are awesome!

Awhile back I at AGC a guy let me shoot his Ruger 22/45 with a Bushnell pistol scope at his 100yd steel target. I hit 7 of 10 on a 6" target first time ever with a pistol at that distance. I was impressed by the Bushnell, but I don't remember what model it was.

WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    Wheelhead

Hey, we'll have to meet up again and exercise the revolvers. I just ordered the .460 dies and some projectiles to send down range. I should have some rounds together next week after the dies come in.

I hope to be at the range Monday shooting some bmg rounds if the weather is tolerable.

Sounds good! I've been shooting the 44 alot more. The 500 had been hurting my wrist so Im taking a break. I think Im going to test out some new loads using some lighter lead and a little less powder.....Its still a "boom" but not a "KA BOOM".
    I think my next few weekends are tired up. If you off during the week let me know. I have some time I can use to get out. I am planning a full day at Delmarva on the 31st of March. I know thats a way out but I need to get reloading and stock up on ammo. I think maybe I'll have my new vepr by then. If I bring some 50BMG can i shoot your AR50? I saw some online that was in a Barret box. I could pick some up..

Mildot

Nov 23, 2011
    Arnold, MD
    Haoleboy, did you check out any scopes yet or decide on one?

Wheelhead, I haven't been on the thread in a week or so, had to work the weekend, work on the car restoration and get my reloading gear organized.

Just started learning to reload 2-3 weeks ago, started with the BMG rounds and did a couple batches. About 20% of my groups are submoa at 300yds with the ball ammo hand loads out of the AR50, I am pleased with the start. The second batch went together better than the first, learning a lot along the way and trying different loads. If you get a box of 10 Barrett rounds I could trade you 3 handloads for three of the Barretts and you can shoot the 10 rounds. I haven't put any Barretts through it and want the 3 rounds to chrony and measure groups.

I've also tumbled a bunch of .460 cases and will start the process of varying some loads to find the sweet spot of the xvr.

In the next few weeks I have some Wednesday mornings off and if the weather is good I plan to be at the range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom