• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I'll be turning 50 in a couple of weeks and several well meaning friends have joked: Hey now you can join AARP and get all those discounts"
    That sounds great, except for one thing.
    I remember hearing years ago that AARP was big time anti-gun and supported candidates that I would not have voted for on a bet.
    Now for my question: Does anyone know where I can go to find out what causes they support and how they spread their money around? The discounts may not be worth it.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I'll be turning 50 in a couple of weeks and several well meaning friends have joked: Hey now you can join AARP and get all those discounts"
    That sounds great, except for one thing.
    I remember hearing years ago that AARP was big time anti-gun and supported candidates that I would not have voted for on a bet.
    Now for my question: Does anyone know where I can go to find out what causes they support and how they spread their money around? The discounts may not be worth it.

You can join the AARP when you're 45 iirc. They were big supporters of Obamacare because they stood to profit from it.

wlc

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    I'll never join!

Try this group instead: http://www.americanseniors.org/ they are the conservative alternative to the AARP

Their partners are:
    60 Plus
    USMA
    Georgia Tea Party
    Tea Party Patriots
    National Rifle Association (NRA)
    American Family Association
    Americans For Prosperity

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    Several years ago I sent AARP an e-mail, asking for their position on gun control. The response was, basically, yes, they support gun control, i.e., supported their members being disarmed. They never responded when I pointed out that that implied they supported their members being easy targets for violent crime.

Bryan

Schwabe

Ultimate Member
    Nov 20, 2010
    Sho'a
    AMAC is promoted on conservative talk radio shows as alternative to AARP. I know nothing about them and am not a member but might be worth checking out.

WatTyler

Ultimate Member
    Guess what - you're already a member unless you opt out. The card comes automatically and their propaganda rag arrives monthly unless you contact them and let them know - firmly - that all contact should cease. My experience, anyway.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Why not then fight their policies from within?? Rather than run away, join and attack them. Let tehir board know the board's view is not the member's view.

backnblack

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2009
    I save all their BS letters and send them pack with a brick using their postage paid mailers.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Call me crazy, but I can't help thinking that AARP itself might be able to answer your questions. Might be worth a try.

Well,
    I took your advice and contacted them directly and received a response from Sivamani in membership services within 2 minutes! I'm sure it was an automatically generated response using keywords in my email. You all will be glad to know that they don't want to "ban all guns" but then they went on about strenghening existing laws and plugging gaps and all that ********.
    So, I followed up with several specific questions regarding donations that they make, their position on ccw and whether they think there are sufficiant laws already to "keep guns out of the wrong hands".
    That always makes me wonder whether they think mine are the "wrong hands"
    I'm still waiting for the response to that one.
    All the responses on here are pretty much what I thought. I wouldn't mind the idea of a bunch of like-minded people joining and trying to change things from the inside, I'm just afraid it would be an exercise in futility. Sort of voting in Maryland.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    I save all their BS letters and send them pack with a brick using their postage paid mailers.

I would rip their application in half and mail it back to them on their dime. After a couple months they got the idea.

Anti gun, pro obama care - because they sell supplementary insurance and will profit. No thank you, i'll pay $10 more on a hotel room. Don't need them.

Good luck

Jerry

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom