• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    With the way things are going this year, I'm expecting something big and prehistoric to show up. So time to cowboy up. Looking at the Ruger and the CZ safari rifles, in 416. Apparently, CZ stopped production of their African game rifles and they're all custom shop only now. Either way, there's lots of NOS CZs still floating around. Both options are roughly $1200. Based on the vast knowledge base here, I figure someone has an opinion on Ruger versus CZ bolt guns. So which is the better option?

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Looks like the CZ has twin crossbolts. 3 leaf express ( hooded ramp) and same hammer forged barrel process but with two position safety. 9.3 lbs. Push feed 25" 3 rnd box.
    Ruger has one recoil bolt, barrel banded front sling attachment three position with classic claw extractor controlled round with fixed ejector feed single leaf express rear maybe a muzzle break and 7.3 lbs. 23" barrel 3 rnd box

Fixed ejector alone and integral dovetails would do it for me, although the cz is sort of appealing but doesn't really sell me on a big game rifle other than appearance.
    Those few extra pounds would come in handy though.
    Biggest game I'm hunting right now is freezee pops though so good luck on your choice.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    bil has a cz in 375 h&h mag. that thing thumps! we've set up a dozen water jugs and shot them far to near to simulate a charging buffalo, fun!

not sure the mag calibers are the best for HD, bolt action and substantial recoil will limit time to get back on (another) target quickly.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    not sure the mag calibers are the best for HD, bolt action and substantial recoil will limit time to get back on (another) target quickly.

I've got more guns than sense and have the HD duty guns stacked :lol:

Graboids will require BIG guns. Just ask Burt Gummer!

This right here is what's concerning me. The heaviest hitters I have now are a 300 WinMag and 12 gauge slugs. I've got nothing that covers the possibility of critters this big. I know it sounds kind of silly, but with the way things have been going this year, who knows what's going to hit us in 2020.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Julian Hatcher had some thoughts on heavy hitting.

Hatcher on Shotgun
    http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc1.b3110494;view=1up;seq=228

Textbook of Firearms Investigation, Identification and Evidence
    By Julian Hatcher
    Page 211

“Because the shotgun is intended to scatter a load of light shot,
    which will not kill even small feathered game at distances greater
    than about 80 yards, few people realize the extreme deadliness of
    this type of weapon at very short ranges, such as ten feet or under.
    It is doubtful if there exists today upon this earth an animal
    which cannot be killed, or at least instantly disabled with the 12
    bore shotgun and a load of ordinary No. 4 shot, provided that the
    shooter wait until that animal comes up to the very muzzle of his
    gun before shooting.
    The result is that a veritable "rat hole" will
    be blown into the animal, and the tissues in and around the wound
    will be pulped and torn horribly by the load of shot entering the
    flesh in a churning mass. Nothing could be more effective in stop-
    ping the charge of an infuriated bull, just to quote one example.”

Of course the guy who has to wait until the target is that close before he pulls the trigger has to have a set of big brass ones himself.

For the younger folk who never heard of Julian Hatcher:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_Hatcher

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Looking for the right rifle for pre-historic animals is easy.

Screenshot from their website.

Attachments

• F3B6174F-4C44-471C-A31B-6A4733A25211.jpg
      F3B6174F-4C44-471C-A31B-6A4733A25211.jpg
      44 KB · Views: 351

Pope414

Buy a 50BMG!

Let me know if you need help with purchase, transfer. I'm a dealer in VA now.

funny ..I had a partner who retired to New Mexico, he picked up a 50 cal Barrett
    i asked him why? what the -f are you hunting with a 50? ...I damn near choked on my coffee when he said .......chucks!!....... I said don`t you think thats a little overkill...with complete deadpan he said nope...So I said there would be nothing but a red mist after you hit it...his reply was exactly! remember how I f`ed up my back? well after i hit it I don`t need to walk out to pick it up.....True story

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    On a serious note, the cz is a finer rifle than the Ruger. I used to have one in 375. Hunting partner still has his. The cz holds more rounds than most of it's competition.

On a sarcastic note, why not just get a .460 weatherby? I shot one. Once. I have fired an original 8 bore double and the darned .460 was much worse.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Those are hen's teeth and are not available for even the list price :rolleyes: Even the Marlin Dark rifles are dried up!

My youngest son found one at Green Top, in Virginia, several months back.

It is a nice rifle.

The 1895G holds one less round, and is blued.

Don't get me wrong.......... IF I stumble on an SBL, I'll buy it, but, my 1895G works very well.

The ammo box doesn't match the cartridges. They're my 405 gr handloads.

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsupers...on-firearms/brand/MARLIN/of3/45-70-GOVERNMENT

Attachments

• CopyofMarlin1895Gw_buttcuffandammo_cropped.jpg
      CopyofMarlin1895Gw_buttcuffandammo_cropped.jpg
      11.6 KB · Views: 281

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    If I am feeling the OP's vibes, I think a 50 BMG bolt with antipersonnel and antimaterial rounds would be appropriate. Then find a place to shoot it.

Of the two listed, I would opt of the Ruger. W.B.Ruger had a clue

sleev-les

Gata Needs His Gat
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    I have a CZ HET II in .338LM I'm getting ready to gun broker. 14 pounds of snipery goodness.

That gun looks pretty schweet. I was just on CZ's website and they discontinued the good looking stuff (IMO). I have a CZ750 and even though its 308 it is heavier and shoots really smooth. Love the gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom