Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Competitive Shooting
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Old February 1st, 2020, 12:53 AM #11
Smile!

Smile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art3 View Post
I've got the fever! Yes, I can definitely see myself doing this. Maybe not that good, but at least trying!
ducky996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2020, 01:01 AM #12
Recovering Lurker

Recovering Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky996 View Post
You are right Occam, the membership does seems complex. Do you know if you have to be a member in order to attend and watch? I wont be able to make it tomorrow as i am working but will keep an eye on the schedule for another steel challange.

That video you posted is awesome! Looks fun but it looks like a lot of requirements. Aint scared though. I would, however, be nervous. Ha!
Definitely do NOT need to be a member to come watch. Everyone is very friendly and always ready to addict new people.

Requirements arenít so bad! Ear protection, wrap-around eye protection. A pistol (9mm is most common, rimfire is also a thing). Donít even need a holster/rig - you can shoot from low ready, and just bag the gun between stages. Helps to have several magazines if you got Ďem. If you participate, just tell the range officer youíre one of the noobs, and you will be very well and safely taken care of, walked through everything.
Occam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2020, 01:03 AM #13

Hey! Like others have said, Steel Challenge is a great way to get your feet wet in competition. It's competitive, but it's fun to compete against yourself too. You generally do 5 strings at each stage, so you can try to improve each string. Once you get to know people, there is generally good natured trash talking, excuse making, alibis, and congratulating. It is absolutely free to show up and watch. Just bring eyes and ears. The steel challenge matches at AGC are not yet affiliated, so they do some extra fun stuff too.

AGC also has 3 gun (rifle, pistol, shotgun) that can also be done as 2 gun (rifle, pistol). For rifle, AR's are the standard platform there's a lot more movement in 3 gun than steel challenge. And there's generally someone willing to lend a shotgun if you are new and are trying to figure out what to buy.

York Isaac Walton League does a lot of 3 gun as well, and I'm sure there are others around. 3 gun is equipment intensive. Steel Challenge is easier to get started. You can even shoot from the low ready position instead of drawing from a holster if you'd like.

There's usually a couple other ladies at events as well. I won't be there tomorrow for steel, but my hubby will. He will be RO'ing a squad and has a really great squad of people who would love to show off their equipment and tell you all about it. Really anyone is generally happy to show off their stuff! And being a woman, so therefore a unicorn, they are even happier to.
Old February 1st, 2020, 01:17 AM #14

Practice makes perfect. Be careful with Glocks they have a tendency to multiply....I started off with 1.
Ammo Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2020, 10:37 AM #15
HVAC Expert

HVAC Expert

I believe Cindi Thomas at Flat Broke shoots at the championship level. She and her husband Steve own Flatbroke Shooters in Lexington Park.

Thus, the only inquiry that this Court should conduct is to determine whether the firearms prohibited by the Act are protected by the Second Amendment. Because they are, the Act is simply unconstitutional.
Mark75H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2020, 10:57 AM #16

if you want some inspiration, look up justine williams. she smoked everyone on my squad down at uspsa nationals a few months ago and most everyone at the match.
davsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2020, 10:59 AM #17
F-notso-NG-anymore

F-notso-NG-anymore

Metal is good because it is fun - you can hear them get hit and see them drop. Coupled with the smells on the range and the feel of recoil, pretty much all the normal senses get used.

I'd also recommend Bullseye or classic pistol shooting. It is paper but it balances skill sets nicely with action style shooting. I greatly enjoy taking brand new folks out and teaching them to shoot then turning them loose with big targets at the 50 yd line. If it is safe to do and the range allows it, I like to set up some empty soda cans and tennis balls that far so they can chase them as well. Since the OP already has several Glocks, she may need to forget what "one can do with a pistol" and really learn.

Highpower rifle is also fun and a slightly different skill set but the basic fundamentals apply. It is so neat to watch somebody who never shot at a rifle target more than a 100 yds nail the 6" X ring 6 football fields away with iron sights. Recent rule changes with low power scopes are cool too and hopefully will keep some of the older folks trigger pulling for more years.

Pretty much any competitive shooting event will allow spectators/observers. If possible, they may slip a noob onto a line with borrowed gear/guns/ammo if they want to see what it is really like. Fully booked matches, realistically any sort of 'run and gun' shooting, and other events that require a baseline knowledge level will be 'watch only' at first.
ABYC Certified Master Technician
Pink Pistols/Operation Blazing Sword coach since 2009

Have you taken a fence-sitter shooting today?
Nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2020, 09:50 PM #18
TV Personality

TV Personality

We had several ladies shoot Steel Challenge today at AGC including one who is on the protective detail for Attorney General Bill Barr.

I'll agree with the others, steel challenge is a great introduction to the action shooting sports and the mixing of traditional steel challenge stages and some "outlaw" stages that are run at AGC push the fun factor up a few notches. Well worth the drive from out west.

Mess with God's hour you get the Sig Sauer - Jack Wilson (probably)
Stoveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2020, 11:12 PM #19
Snakes and Sparklers

Snakes and Sparklers

Those videos are great. This is the first time that I have seen Katie in action. We will have to show up to observe soon. I got hooked on steel at a gun range in WV last year. I will have to keep an eye on the event schedule.
Kicken Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2020, 09:44 AM #20

from washington county, these are prob your two closest clubs that are doing steel challenge. these are below hagerstown and above winchester and about 10 minutes apart. after you have some sc under your belt, both also do "run around and shoot falling steel" matches, which are super fun. peacemaker calls it supersteel and shadowhawk calls it outlaw steel.

https://practiscore.com/clubs/peacem...raining-center

https://practiscore.com/clubs/shadow-hawk-defense
davsco is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Competitive Shooting