• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I just brought home a new (to me) Contender. Suddenly I realize that I don't have a really good setup for storing it or taking it to the range. Too big for my pistol case too small for a rifle case. Before I buy a Contender specific soft case I wanted to explore other options.

I was thinking about getting one of those hard sided cases with foam rubber that can be cut out to the profile of the gun and extra barrels (which I'm sure I'll be looking for shortly). For back and forth to the range this should be OK but what about long term storage? Bad idea always? Good idea with the proper type of foam rubber? The last thing I want is to lock this gun up in a moisture trap.

Any ideas? What have others done?

I'd appreciate any ideas or suggestions

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    The foam is only a big deal if the gun lives there. If you intend to store it in the safe and only use the case for transportation, no problem. I wouldn't use any soft foam for long term storage. Only fabric.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    For long term storage sounds like you don’t have a safe. Get one.

You could always use a rifle sock and fold it over.

I forget how long they usually are, but Midway’s tactical handgun cases will
    Fit a 13.75” long handgun. If in there diagonally, figure more like 15-15.5”. $10 on sale right now.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Go to a thrift shop and find an old attache case. Like a Samsonite. Gut the inside and fit with closed cell foam fit to your liking which can be adjusted for future accessories. You can even line it with wood, route it out and glue/ tack velvet over it.
    Mechanic style.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Go old school and use a violin case. I know those are for Thompsons but it would get some grins at the range.

You may want something a little larger because sooner or later you will probably add a shoulder stock and some carbine length barrels to your collection. Then another Contender frame and more barrels, they are like potato chips.

Don't look at this web site:
    https://www.bullberry.com/custom-contender-barrels

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Some good ideas here, thanks.
    I haven't even shot it yet and already have another barrel coming for it!

I think I know what a heroin addict feels like now!
    :o

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    When I shot Hunter’s pistol I used, and still have, a plastic tool box which was my HP box. I guess its about 16” x 8” x 9”, easily totable. It would contain my Contender and other pistols. The box would contain four soft socked pistols in the bottom compartment. I just carried the box to the line with all I needed to shoot in four divisions. I made slotted holders to hold the pistol I was using upright. I carried one complete scoped TC pistol, another scoped barrel assembly, a 5.5” revolver, sometimes a fourth pistol.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Yet another barrel on the way, this one a 12" 30-30. AND I found the perfect thing to carry it back and forth to the range I stopped by Goodwill on the way home from work and found a new condition Dell Laptop bag. A main padded section and another padded section with a divider and several pockets who who knows what. The best part is it only cost me $6!
    Whoo Hoo!

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Yet another barrel on the way, this one a 12" 30-30. AND I found the perfect thing to carry it back and forth to the range I stopped by Goodwill on the way home from work and found a new condition Dell Laptop bag. A main padded section and another padded section with a divider and several pockets who who knows what. The best part is it only cost me $6!
    Whoo Hoo!

:thumbsup: way to go... so you got that bag and the bug... it can
    be expensive "collecting" barrels, so you got a 12" 30-30 nice I
    assume a "bull barrel"? those old octagon barrels can recoil rather
    nicely, was going to suggest a pistol case for the pistol if broke
    down, frame and barrel, found a few "zipper" pistol case cheap.
    If you get a chance to pick up some of the older barrels in the
    JDJ rounds get-em ...fun to shoot...and reload for them...

-Rock

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JOELEWIS419

Latest threads

Top Bottom