• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I've been itching to get into clays. I've shot a few times using my Remington 870 however, it is now an SBS so it's no longer an option.
    I had my mind set on a Beretta A400 however, it was out of my price range. I reached out to my buddy ElFlasko and he gave me some good options. Today, I decided to stop by my LGS as they always have a good selection of used guns.
    I found this gun for $700. I offered $650 out the door and they accepted. I'm a beginner. I plan on getting some formal lessons in the next few weeks. Should I get hooked, I have no doubt I will end up upgrading. So...How did I do? Is this a good gun for a beginner clay shooter?

Franchi Renaissance Classic:

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    PURDY!!!

I will add one word off caution. Be careful breaking it down/assembling.

Watched and heard a guy drop five grand worth of double barrel on the cement one day. Sounded like someone dropped a truck load of pipes. Ping. Ding. Ping. Ping. Ding.

He was not a happy camper.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    PURDY!!!

I will add one word off caution. Be careful breaking it down/assembling.

Watched and heard a guy drop five grand worth of double barrel on the cement one day. Sounded like someone dropped a truck load of pipes. Ping. Ding. Ping. Ping. Ding.

He was not a happy camper.

Ouch! That sounds like a bad day.

I already gave it a thorough cleaning. Now just need to take it out.

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    It will shoot as well as the person operating it shoots. lol

OP - very nice gun. I would go with a Franchi over a Stoeger any day, and I believe both companies are owned by Beretta.

Franchi makes a much better gun than Stoeger. I own two Franchi autoloaders and they are every bit as nice as my Beretta A300. I can handle and shoot my M3K and think "this is a nice gun" Then I pick up one of my Franchi's and realize the Stoeger doesn't begin to compare.

You've got a great looking gun there. I hope you enjoy it

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    I'll be the dissenter. I would have advised you to go with the Beretta Auto or a Remington 1100/1187. YMMV. We see it all the time. People wanting an O/U but don't want to spend more than $1000. You'll be fine as long as you don't put a lot of rounds through it. Which game are you interested in: Skeet, Trap, or Sporting/5-stand? Also, where do you shoot?

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco

OP - very nice gun. I would go with a Franchi over a Stoeger any day, and I believe both companies are owned by Beretta.

The parent company, Beretta Holding, also owns Beretta USA, Benelli, Franchi, SAKO, Stoeger, Tikka, Uberti, and the Burris Optics company.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I'll be the dissenter. I would have advised you to go with the Beretta Auto or a Remington 1100/1187. YMMV. We see it all the time. People wanting an O/U but don't want to spend more than $1000. You'll be fine as long as you don't put a lot of rounds through it. Which game are you interested in: Skeet, Trap, or Sporting/5-stand? Also, where do you shoot?

I'll agree that the Franchi will not last nearly as long as a Beretta 692 or DT-11. However, I started shooting clays with a Browning Citori Lightning field grade before upgrading to a Beretta 682 the following year. The OP might be in the same boat in a year, or decide to quit shooting clays entirely.

I have had a love hate relationship with my Beretta 391 for the past couple of years. Since I bought it in 2002, I have shot it really well, when it decides to cycle the rounds. Think I finally have the problem fixed, but it drove me nuts for a couple years. So much so, that it was about to become the first gun I ever sold. I was going to replace it with a Benelli Super Sport.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    The parent company, Beretta Holding, also owns Beretta USA, Benelli, Franchi, SAKO, Stoeger, Tikka, Uberti, and the Burris Optics company.

I already know all that, but I guess it could help others on here. I visited the corporate headquarters in Accokeek back in 2002.

I own 7 Berettas, 2 Benellis, and about 6 Burris scopes. Been trying to justify a Sako TRG42 in .338 Lapua, but have yet to talk myself into it. Might be talking myself into a TRG M10 instead.

Think you might have overlooked Steiner.

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County

He didn't buy it new. The gun sold new for over $1600. Same as the A400

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    I already know all that, but I guess it could help others on here. I visited the corporate headquarters in Accokeek back in 2002.

I own 7 Berettas, 2 Benellis, and about 6 Burris scopes. Been trying to justify a Sako TRG42 in .338 Lapua, but have yet to talk myself into it. Might be talking myself into a TRG M10 instead.

Think you might have overlooked Steiner.

Didn't mean to offend you. You said " I believe" therefore I thought you weren't sure. My post was a copy and paste from Wikipedia. I didn't know Stoeger was owned by Beretta Holding myself. I should never post in the middle of the night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom