• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    I need to insulate between joist's in my crawlspace. Anyone have suggestions on a company that could come and do it for a reasonable price?

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    I was gonna try and get the rebate on insulation cost thru SMECO but G&B is not listed in their certified installers.
    I'll have to give Accurate a call. Thanks.

Swaged

May 30, 2011
    North of North Laurel
    Immune to moisture?

I've been looking at using this stuff to do my crawlspace and garage walls. I currently have fiberglass under the house, but the crawlspace gets very wet sometimes. This stuff is immune to moisture. http://www.insulation4less.com/Insulation4lessTechnicalArticles-106-Crawl-Space-Insulation.aspx

Garage and crawlspace walls are 2 different animals.
    Vapor barrier in crawl, like polyethelene (saran wrap).
    Moisture barrier in above grade walls. Think tyvek or goretex, allows vapor transmission.

For probably less money and more effect --
    Start from the outside and get a positive grade away from the house.
    Gutters draining correctly?
    Inside, lay down some 6mil poly up to grade.
    Install some foundation vents, closed in winter, open in summer.
    Sump pump, if necessary.

Parshooter

Silent Majority Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    East NC
    Garage and crawlspace walls are 2 different animals.
    Vapor barrier in crawl, like polyethelene (saran wrap).
    Moisture barrier in above grade walls. Think tyvek or goretex, allows vapor transmission.

For probably less money and more effect --
    Start from the outside and get a positive grade away from the house.
    Gutters draining correctly?
    Inside, lay down some 6mil poly up to grade.
    Install some foundation vents, closed in winter, open in summer.
    Sump pump, if necessary.
    At the risk of being misinterpreted again in a post, I want to jump in here. I moved from a house that had a finished (fully conditioned) basement to a house with a crawl space that was built around 1980. I like this house much better overall, but a crawlspace just BLOWS!!! First thing I did down there was pull a circuit and deploy 16 light fixtures. I want to see what I'm about to put my hands on! There is 6 mil poly over gravel, and I can usually see droplets of water on the bottom of the poly. Never seen any puddling even after heavy rain, so I don't think a sump is in order. We obviously don't know what degree of wet the OP means when he says wet. Anyway, I replaced all the vents with the automatic kind (they open in warm weather and close in cold) but I have been thinking more and more that these new methods of sealing off and conditioning the crawl is the way to go. The expense is the only thing holding me back from trying. I have 6" batts in the floor joists, but the floors are just cold in the winter. I don't have any frozen pipes, but it's cold. The open vents let in a ton of humidity down there in the summer (the air handler gets a lot of condensation on the outside in places that aren't insulated) and also it looks like either hydrocarbon dirt or mildew is making its way on the bottom of the insulation and edges of joists near the vents. So I would be very interested to hear from anyone that has sealed and conditioned a crawl, and also from anyone that has done a re-insulation of a crawlspace. Kinda pulls this thread sideways but if I was the OP I would appreciate that information also. I think;)

SolomonsCommune

Tomato Grower
    Mar 28, 2013
    Calvert County
    I second the guy who said G and B in LaPlata... They did the house I built myself. Seemed to do a well enough job. I am not made of money so I looked for someone that was reasonable but did a good job.

nutz

Closer to 5's than 10's
    Jun 29, 2011
    Near Indian Head, Md.
    At the risk of being misinterpreted again in a post, I want to jump in here. I moved from a house that had a finished (fully conditioned) basement to a house with a crawl space that was built around 1980. I like this house much better overall, but a crawlspace just BLOWS!!! First thing I did down there was pull a circuit and deploy 16 light fixtures. I want to see what I'm about to put my hands on! There is 6 mil poly over gravel, and I can usually see droplets of water on the bottom of the poly. Never seen any puddling even after heavy rain, so I don't think a sump is in order. We obviously don't know what degree of wet the OP means when he says wet. Anyway, I replaced all the vents with the automatic kind (they open in warm weather and close in cold) but I have been thinking more and more that these new methods of sealing off and conditioning the crawl is the way to go. The expense is the only thing holding me back from trying. I have 6" batts in the floor joists, but the floors are just cold in the winter. I don't have any frozen pipes, but it's cold. The open vents let in a ton of humidity down there in the summer (the air handler gets a lot of condensation on the outside in places that aren't insulated) and also it looks like either hydrocarbon dirt or mildew is making its way on the bottom of the insulation and edges of joists near the vents. So I would be very interested to hear from anyone that has sealed and conditioned a crawl, and also from anyone that has done a re-insulation of a crawlspace. Kinda pulls this thread sideways but if I was the OP I would appreciate that information also. I think;)

Rather than a conditioned crawl, why not pull down the batts and foam it in? http://www.rhhfoamsystems.com/product.php

Parshooter

Silent Majority Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    East NC
    Rather than a conditioned crawl, why not pull down the batts and foam it in? http://www.rhhfoamsystems.com/product.php
    From what I have been reading, foamed in insulation attracts moisture. I do not know that to be fact, it is what I have read. Of course, some of the things that you read about opposing products are designed to sell other products. That is why I would be interested to hear from others on this forum that may have tried any of these solutions. In the meantime, I have cold floors:sad20:
    I will look at the link you posted and add the info to the collection I have been gathering. At some point, i will need to make the best informed decision I can make...

Parshooter

Silent Majority Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    East NC
    Went through the FAQ's on the foam site- not very promising for a crawlspace, which is by definition a moisture filled environment. From what I can glean, vapor barriers would be necessary between the foam and floor (defined as warm space), and then something would need to close off between the foam and the moisture rich environment. That still leaves the nasty, moisture rich, disgusting crawl space:puke:
    Lottery winnings???

nutz

Closer to 5's than 10's
    Jun 29, 2011
    Near Indian Head, Md.
    Went through the FAQ's on the foam site- not very promising for a crawlspace, which is by definition a moisture filled environment. From what I can glean, vapor barriers would be necessary between the foam and floor (defined as warm space), and then something would need to close off between the foam and the moisture rich environment. That still leaves the nasty, moisture rich, disgusting crawl space:puke:
    Lottery winnings???

then pull out the existing vapor barrier and gravel. replace with a concrete floor. You could also excavate beneath the house and put in a full basement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom