• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    I don't think there's a better two piece system available than the Centurion C4. It's extremely easy to install, uses the stock barrel nut and locks up very tight. Plus, they just look bad ass.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Are you looking for a rail that uses the standard barrel nut because you want uniformity between multiple rifles that you own? Or do you just not want to remove the existing standard barrel nut for some reason?

Many of the aftermarket rail systems use barrel nuts that are superior in design and strength to the standard AR15 barrel nut. The Geissele SMR is a perfect example. Easy to install and comes with the tool to do so. All you need is a 1/2 torque wrench. There's no indexing required for the gas tube. Just torque to 50 ft-lbs and install the rail, youre done.

If you want a modular rail that uses the standard barrel nut there's no better option then the Troy Alpha rail in my opinion. Easy to install and gives a multitude of options for installing rail sections wherever you need them.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    yes, with either of these systems i will need to chop my fsb, cut and remove the delta ring and front retaining ring...no biggie

i however do not want to use a system that will requite a new barrel nut because in order to install i will need to de-pin my flash hider...which will destroy it and not only would i need to replace the flash hider i would need to repin it...just a major pain in the ass i would like to avoid.

im not worried about the strength of the standard barrel nut, nor do i see how it makes much difference when the aluminum its connected to is far weaker.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    The Fortis rails are pretty nice. If a 9" comes out it will go on my .300 BLK SBR upper. They look weird in pictures, but when I handled one I was sold.

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Rail systems that use a proprietary barrel nut didn't decide to use them because they are stronger than the stock barrel nut. They use them because that's how they designed their rail system. They need the proprietary barrel nut to lock the system up. Centurion designed the C4 to be used with the stock nut for easier instalation.

I can assure you. The stock barrel nut will not break. It's a pretty solid piece of steel. If you do happen to do something catastrophic enough to break it, I'd hate to see what happens to the aluminum rail in the process.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    Another plus for the C4. Although I'm temporarily obsessing over their CMR rail. I have the C4 midlength cutout on one of my 14.5" rifles.

Attachments

• 20130601DNG0016.jpg
      20130601DNG0016.jpg
      117.7 KB · Views: 174

HokieCasey

Aug 7, 2010
    St Mary's
    Got my 9" rail in, have not had the chance to hit the range with it yet.

Between a C4 quad rail and this rail, the main difference I see is that the quad rail with index clips/rail guards offers a nearly round feel if your using a "c clamp" type grip. The Rev rail offers a more oblong grip with no Keymod panels attached. Both feel comfortable, but I wont know more till I get a chance to use it on the range, and play around with different variations of handstops, vfg's, afg's and plain rail space to figure out what my preference is.

That said the fortis rail locks up nice and tight providing a solid rail surface. with its weight, it shifted my rifles balance point a little farther aft, and with my current set up appears to create a nice balance when the suppressor is attached.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Yeah... the lightness of the Fortis rail is a big reason I am choosing it. I am hanging a HEAVY YHM .308 Phantom QD up front, so anything to save weight, let alone help the balance is important.

You have to post up some pics!

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB

CronusTRD

Creeper
    Mar 1, 2007
    C4 is nice, just make sure it fits your upper. Some billet uppers are too large to fit in the C4 anti-rotation tabs.

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    I held a Fortis one in my hands today, I don't like how rectangularly tall it feels in the hands, I prefer the more square feel of the C4. Although I also held a Geissele MK4 SMR and that felt quite nice in the hands and is very light.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom