• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Okay I spent some time today going through Jim Tarr's book and comparing the description and serial # to known records. From what I can tell it is one of two guns, and I can't tell which. It wouldn't be the late 1880's gun with that serial number, that one's a Model 1878 which had a much more old-style frame somewhat cosmetically resembling a SAA. The two possibilities I think it is are below. Obviously it's been cut on, at least a little. Any more info on barrel markings, if visible, might help narrow it down.

New Pocket made in 1903

New Police .32 made in 1904

This is of course assuming the crane serial # is original.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The two were substantially similar, with the New Pocket being round butt, and the New Police being square butt, as your's looks to be.

Now the question is .32 Long Colt or .32 New Police ( aka .32 S&W Long ) . From a distance they look the same , except one has .312 bullet, the other .300 . Buy or borrow a .32S&W Long ctg if you don't already have one . If it chambers, the gun is .32 New Police. If won't chamber , it's .32 Long Colt.

.32LC ammo was made at least into the 1980's by R-P . IIRC the brass is available , but loaded ammo not . The same ammo was used in Marlin leveractions, and British Rook Rifles in decent numbers ( known as .320Rook ) so components probably won't dry up soon .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Dick Tracey carried a Colt .357 ( yes, that is a model name) , later a Trooper .

I learned about .32 Long Colt the hard way . Back in tbe late '80s had a friend pick me up a box of .32 Long on the way to a range session . Yup , it was R-P .32 Colt Long .

( Do as I say, not as I did back in the day ) Fired it in .32S&W Long chambers. Gave an underpowered pop , similar to factory loaded .32 S&W Long . Accuracy wasn't great . All cases bulged, some split .

In +/- 2000 fondled a Marlin ( M1891 iirc ) in .32 LC . By today's standards was a bargin , but was a little too much for me at the time.

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    I am currently smoking a cigar here at Lake Superior but will post more pics this weekend

Attachments

• B3801DC2-D02E-4A89-A1ED-C5AC2F0912D2.jpg
      B3801DC2-D02E-4A89-A1ED-C5AC2F0912D2.jpg
      153.5 KB · Views: 86

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads